1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight update: Not close to a trade with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Stevie, you are correct. However, I think where others get confused is with the word "extension". Even you--one of the more knowledgeable posters on this BBS--are using that word to describe the contract that the Rockets hope Dwight would sign next summer if they trade for him this offseason.

In fact, the Rockets would be looking to re-sign Howard to a NEW CONTRACT next summer for the reported five-year, $108 million figure. Not an extension. A new contract.

People need to stop fretting over Howard and his agent balking at signing an extension with other teams. It makes perfect sense for Dwight not to sign an extension, as he can maximize his total earnings by playing out next season.

If anything, this news should be ENCOURAGING to Rockets fans. So far, every step of the way, Dwight has maneuvered himself so as to maximize the size of his NBA contract, even when those maneuvers otherwise seemed at odds with his other desires. For instance, Dwight opting in to his deal with the Magic ensured him of a larger 2012-13 salary and marginally higher salaries in all subsequent years. THIS IS WHAT DARYL MOREY IS BANKING ON. He's betting that, once acquired by the Rockets and with no hope of signing outright with a big market team for more than $3-5M per season, Howard will make the smart decision and re-sign with Houston.

People, stop trying to read so much negativity into everything that ESPN or other news sources spit out. This changes nothing. If anything, it should make you feel BETTER.

2. liveguy

liveguy Member

I just threw up a little bit...

LMAO @ that.

If true....Morey should be shot.

But I KNOW there is no way Morey is that damn dumb for a dude that's avoiding ur team like the plague.

3. bberge

bberge Member

best thing for fegan is if dwight waits to re-sign with the team he's traded to, so of course he'd issue that statement.

4. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

LOL, i just read that ****. Giving up all our rookies + Parsons when we are competing against nobody.

5. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Nah, that Pingalore is a well known clown in Orlando's media circle, but he just keeps on spouting his ****.

6. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

You are right. Maybe he still dont know what team he really want to play for since Brooklyn no longer want him at this time, and I hope Jeremy Lin attract him enough to stay here beyond next season.

7. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

He doesn't want Houston, respects Mchale and the Rockets but doesn't want to be in Houston

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets were to get Dwight and re-sign him to a max deal next summer, what contracts could they take back from Orlando now that would not hinder their efforts to add an additional max free agent next year? Or what would be the most likely package the Rockets could send Orlando that would still allow them to do that?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I don't fret but it would have helped if his agent were Montgomery, Lin's agent .... a guy who is fond of the Rockets

10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Bima, what if the Lakers opt to not resign Bynum after 2012-13. That would open up a lot of cap space for them to sign Howard to a big deal, right?

#1970 JBIIRockets, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  11. rocketblood713

I dobr he respects Mchale or the Rockets but if you say he respects Hakeem I buy that ...

12. Sanity2disChaos

As a song I use to jam to awhile back " whoop der it is! "..

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

They would have to amnesty Gasol, I would imagine. They are really, really over the cap. So, would the Lakers dump Bynum *and* Gasol? Does that make them better with an ageing Nash and Bryant?

14. claydavis

claydavis Member

looks like hennigan has an idea what he wants, and lives by the dumb and dumber mantra "so you are saying theres a chance". he is gonna wait for that chance.

15. Sanity2disChaos

But it's a numbers game like my fellow member Bimathug would agree .....say what you want, numbers speak volumes.

Cap relief, more chose of pics, more (r1+2.year )players @ your choice ......come on numbers don't lie! Hennigan. Would be silly and I could give it a shot as there GM ;)! The rockets would have Howard by now. Easy call.....

16. Sanity2disChaos

But it's a numbers game like my fellow member Bimathug would agree .....say what you want, numbers speak volumes.

Cap relief, more chose of pics, more (r1+2.year )players @ your choice ......come on numbers don't lie! Hennigan. Would be silly and I could give it a shot as there GM ;)! The rockets would have Howard by now. Easy call.....

17. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Wasn't this reported by the same guy that said Dwight WOULD sign a new contract with LA if he was traded there?

Hasn't that since been disputed?

None of us truly knows what he or Bynum would or wouldn't do.

What we DO know is this...

A) Whoever is able to land him via a trade, can sign him to a new contract for almost $30M more than anyone else. This is why Morey is willing to trade for him.

B) Houston likely, by all accounts, has much more than anyone else as far as what everyone suspects Hennigan wants. This is why Houston is likely still the most likely landing spot, at least from Orlando.

C) There is really no hurry at this point. Regardless of how much everyone would like this to end, Hennigan just got there and wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't do everything in his power to make sure there was no chance at him convincing Dwight to give him a chance to prove to him what he can do.

D) Due to training camp not being near, Hennigan is going to do everything he can to get the best deal possible.

E) Unlike "reports" of Cleveland wanting a promise from Bynum he'd re-sign there and LA wanting a promise Dwight would re-sign there, Houston has said all along they'd take Howard (and likely Bynum) without an understanding either would re-sign.

In my opinion, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of who.... who we end up giving up WHEN this trade happens. Judging by Morey's history, I'm optimistic we won't be too disappointed.

When NY signed Felton, to me, that signaled we'd likely be getting Lin. When we amnestyed Scola, I assumed a deal for Dwight was DONE. While I'm not as certain of that now, in my opinion, it's still likely to happen and I'm leaning towards what some here have stated - that deals are possibly already agreed to - dependant upon whether or not we got Lin and/or Asik.

I believe this mostly because of the lottery pick obtained in the Lowry deal. .Knowing Hennigan's history, that is, at least so far, by far the most valuable trade chip that has been disussed (at least publicly)

Something drastic has to happen to change Houston as being the most likely destination for Howard at this point.

And Anderson Varejao, Brook Lopez and even Al Horford are far from being able to be included in the same sentence as "drastic".

18. Rudy

Rudy Member

Headline reads: "Howard scared of being traded to Houston"

Despite Pingalore's reports from NBA insiders who think the end game for Howard will be with the Lakers, he may have to make a brief stop along the way. Insiders with direct knowledge from the top of ownership groups think Howard said he would sign an extension with the Lakers because he wants no part of being traded to the Houston Rockets.

:X

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Howard is not coming here anytime before the trading deadline, if at all.

20. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

True. I think Rockets-Magic is waiting for Asik offer sheet to be sealed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.