1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Salary - Houston vs. LA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Apr 22, 2013.

1. claydavis

claydavis Member

dwight seems like a guy who wants to have his cake and eat it too. with kupchack likely telling dwight to "trust me" i could see dwight thinking he can get paid and have a great team around him.
    the lakers contract status for 2014 class is remarkably well. they would have dwight under contract and thats it. nash would either a. retire or b can be cut using the stretch provision. basically nash's cap hit goes down to about 2-3 million. then dwight would get to pick his teammates, heck his own team. and its not like people wouldnt want to come to the lakers.
    of course thats a bit of a risk if the 2014 people dont opt out or leave. at the very least they can end up with melo imo and more.

2. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

I am getting confused. I am not an expert on these things. Some one please make it plain for me.

What are the chances of Dwight coming to Houston?

I still feel like its very low, like 10%. You guys all seem way more confident than me and you guys have obviously thought this through more than I. So please handicap it for me.

There is a __% chance that Dwight is coming to Houston.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

There is a __% chance that Dwight is coming to Houston. Yes I agree with you... ____ = Blank = Nothing = 0%

4. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

i had a random dream a couple nights ago.. we were in some random back yard.. it was me and basically all the allstars in the nba and when everyone was leaving the gate harden was trying to recruit some all stars... Dwight howard told harden he would join up

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Atlanta would undoubtedly s&t Asik for Smith if that's what we needed.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Though ATL would probably be willing to do that, I think we would need to shed more salary than that to then be able to pursue Dwight.

Also I would expect we have an agreement with ATL, then speak to Dwight, and if he agrees to join then we pull the trigger on everything.

We don't want to give up Asik unless Dwight is in the bag.

7. Aleron

you have them in the wrong order, any trade or s&t involving asik where we take on more salary, would come afterwards

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We don't have enough cap space to sign Diwght to a MAX contract unless we make at least one trade. The highest paid guaranteed contracts are TRob, Asik and Lin.

IIRC even if we decline all optional contracts, we would only have around $10m to offer as starting salary. Not enough for any of those guys.

ATL has cap space. We can deal them salary in excess of JSmith's first year salary. That would put us on track to go to Dwight with this core:

D Howard
    J Smith
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin

9. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Is everyone forgetting that gaping five hundred mile hole that the salaries of Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol are going to leave when they come off the Lakers books in 2014. $49M worth of expiring contracts at next years trade deadline. Not that the Lakers would trade Kobe, but he definitely won't play past this contract, if he ever plays again at all.

Miami's big 3 all come off the books in 2014. One of them may be the odd man out depending on the cap. Several other if names will be unrestricted free agents at the end of next season too. And don't let the Lakers tank next year. I'm not a troll and not a Laker fan. Been a Rockets fan all my life. But to say he can't win in LA is assuming the Lakers are going to give 35 year old Kobe another 5 year/$150M contract. Not happening. And with the Lakers nack for lopsided trades ;-) I don't see Stern allowing them to put a non contender on the court too many years in a row.

10. Aleron

I don't see Stern doing much of anything by this time next year.