1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight is done as an elite player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He was

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

Eh. People said that last year. Then, he s****** on everybody in the playoffs, and everyone was like "Yea, we love you!"

If this is not a playoff team, which it isn't looking so hot, then, yes, it is time to move on.

But it's a long season. We actually won a legit game. Teams make runs. Teams collapse. If we do make the playoffs, this will once again, be another thread that will look foolish when he dominates.

Funny, this thread isn't created when he gets a 20/20 against the Clippers or when Okafor is neutralized, but when Dwight is finally scored on well by a role player, whom was hitting tough shots anyways.

#22 jbasket, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Meh, I don't think so. His value was always there rebounding and defense. Not offense.

Hardens dropoff is the biggest issue

4. amaru

amaru Member

You are just now realizing this? He's 30 years old with a bad back and coming off of a partially torn MCL and menicus.

That being said, we aren't going to get anybody much better this season.

5. Ns575

Ns575 Member

Did you miss the dunk on Porzingis? If he takes a paycut hes a damn good player for us at the right price. He can still play D and grab rebounds, aswell as the occasional poster

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

The whole team is playing like crap including Howard. With that said just last year in the playoffs he was playing like the best C in the NBA. Even the dunk today, only a half a dozen players could execute. I wouldn't want to give him the max or anything of that sort but he's still a very good player and an all star center in my opinion. I think what will really help howard and this team in general is the return of DMO. He's our go to low post player; let howard do everything else.

7. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

bone on bone

1 person likes this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Just the eyeball test but IMO Howard has been more efficient offensively this year. Mostly because of the reduced role. Also, I think he has done a good job of going into his moves quickly this season. He just hasn't seemed as inefficient but maybe that is just me.

Unless we see a drastic turn in the next 10 games or so, I am in favor of trading him.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

dwight for mozgov and tristan. who says no?

10. hoopball

hoopball Member

his alley-oop dunk in the OT was really impressive, i gotta admit. but still doesn't change the fact that he has zero post moves and horrible touch around the rim. even on rebounding and defense, Capela is catching up really fast and arguably could be better than Dwight in some respects. he's still a decent player for sure, but is way too overpaid.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Us. Mosgov is good but Tristan sucks, especially with that crazy ass contract.

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

Dwight has been utter trash on offense for awhile now. The main reason the Harden/Howard pair hasn't worked out is because Dwight has no jumpshot to speak of.

Defensively though, he's still a stud. A good asset on a championship team but he definitely doesn't deserve max money.

13. basketballholic

Take 2 of these and let's talk in the morning.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Houston, Dwight has takeoff! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBAVine?src=hash">#NBAVine</a> <a href="https://t.co/0CHJZkSt5y">https://t.co/0CHJZkSt5y</a></p>&mdash; NBA (@NBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBA/status/671171536187957249">November 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lol seraphin didn't go off because Dwight played bad defense , he went off because God came down and blessed him with one game of hot shooting . The guy was making 20 footers and some of them were contested . When a guy is just feeling it like that on offense it doesn't matter if he a role player or a stud , he is going to be hard to stop ... For example Marcus thorton , Aaron afflalo .

Dwight obviously isn't 100% right now , hopefully in the playoffs he is and this thread will be mocked if it hasn't already been forgotten . Dwight has never been a post scorer with pretty moves . His value is on defense and using his athleticism to make plays on Offense . It is a pretty easy correlation between Dwight being healthy and Dwight being a plus offensive guy . The good news is that he is more than solid defensively even right now . He can still make things happen on offense if others set him up the right way .

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We could always trade him for a expiring at the deadline or during the off season to a team who has enough cap space and or players we are interested in.

16. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

He also showed up big time in the playoffs. Is he in his prime? No. Is he still a great player? Yes. He is still in the top tier.

Rockets went through some lean times trying to sign superstars. Morey got us Harden, and because of Harden - Dwight picked Houston. I don't think we could lure any free agents to Houston any time soon.

I want this team to make the adjustments to get back to good habits even if we need a new coach.

17. RCPM

RCPM Member

Thread Fail!

18. Neped

Neped Member

Dwight does excellent in the playoffs. Sometimes he's the only one who shows up.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dwight Howard when asked if he learned anything from Kobe: 'Next question’ <a href="https://t.co/HGQvEKF6Xs">https://t.co/HGQvEKF6Xs</a> <a href="https://t.co/XwWiFxeIBr">pic.twitter.com/XwWiFxeIBr</a></p>&mdash; Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/671181551019798528">November 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean - it's true, he hasn't been an "elite" player in the league since his Orlando days. He's still a very good, top 6 or 7 center though(which really speaks more to how thin the league is at quality bigs).

The bigger question here is "is the league done with elite centers?" because teams are increasingly seeing more success going small. I'm worried that the league is moving away from bigs without 20ft+ range.