1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight is back to being one of the best defenders in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mollamar, Jan 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Any chance they made that **** up, I just don't see it..

2. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Thanks

3. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

So you have bought a Ferrari and dont get dissapointed because it can only drive in reverse?!

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

I do not think that anybody (rationally) believed that Dwight could not contest shots well. However, what many have said about Dwight "coasting" is his lazyness on closing out on outside shooters and some rotations. These are outside the 2 feet range and are not accounted in the statistics.

Concerning the defensive efficiency, when a team has many injuries and is playing a combo of Dorsey, Canaan, Johnson, Terry, and Papa off the bench for a large part of the season, it is very clear that there will be a dropoff in defensive efficiency.

5. kemah

kemah Member

Guess we need to revisit this thread now and again because some yahoos can't seem to understand what it means to have the DPOY on a team. Of course Dmo is going to be better when you are playing off his contribution and also his offense is going to be better when he doesn't have the double team. I remember Dmo had trouble with the double team.

6. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Now again when Howard SITS who is playing? Dmo?

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

I don't think anybody is saying Dmo is as good as Harden's offense or Dwight's defense. Yes, he takes advantage of not being focused defensively and utilizing Dwight's defensive presence. However, the thing is, he does that well on both ends of the court, and the Rockets have not had that for a while.

8. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I can agree with this. I am not saying that Dmo sucks just that we need to temper our remarks about not needing a possible DPOY of the year again this year and a future HOF player in Dwight. Dmo still needs a lot of work still but the data is finally enough to maybe think we can breathe easier at the 4/5 spots. To talk of dumping one of the best players in BB is ridiculous at this time is all I and others are saying.

9. JazzLakerHater

While I certainly don't want to discredit any experts or facts, but from the eye test, Dwight has been very underwhelming this year.

10. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Yep agreed.

Dwight Howard continues to deal with soreness in knee
    Posted on January 10, 2015 | By Jenny Dial Creech
    http://bit.ly/1IgeCR3

11. jbasket

jbasket Member

Whenever you hear people talk about dumping Dwight, just breath, laugh at it, and move on. If they would really trade him for Deandre Jordan, then just let insanity be insane. That is what I have started to do.

12. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Asik dribble driving on Howard was Tmac-ish

13. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Or drink more beer.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

it sounds like he's been dealing with a bad knee since he came back from that injury. he cant be the best center if he 's not healthy and hasnt looked like the best center for almost the whole season

15. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

Opponents shoot 28.1% when Dwight is within 2 feet.

Well that makes everything simple! Now he knows to get within 2 feet of guys like the Gasol brothers, Anthony Davis, Jordan Hill, Blake Griffin and Al Horford when they take jump shots.. We should be good for the rest of the year..

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Which is why I am ok with limiting his minutes
    and having his 'laze off'

Rocket River

17. kemah

kemah Member

Really a shame we have to keep bringing this back. Sigh.

18. kemah

kemah Member

lol

We go from awesome with Dwight to bad when he sits. Who is playing center/rim protector when Dwight sits?

19. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

But KG says he soft :/

20. kemah

kemah Member

Here is the stats showing Howard and why he is playing at a DPOY again. Now again the stats that show Dmo is so awesome defensively show the plays within 5 feet of the basket which is real good. These stats that show Howard is so great is within 2 feet of the basket. Dmo within 5 feet BUT Howard is within 2 feet. Does any not understand why the team defense dropped from among the best to barely average when Howard sits now?

I am not saying that Dmo suck at defense just that when any player is playing alongside a DPOY makes a world of difference. Get rid of that DPOY and we are looking at a disaster. Do any understand how we kept the defensive ratings high when Dwight was injured?