1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard receives bone marrow aspirate injection in his right knee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Question for the capologists - if this keeps heading down the track we are all afraid of, if we use the stretch on Dwight this summer, can we make enough cap room to offer Marc Gasol the max?

2. rocketblood713

Dark times have come for Dwight

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It sounds a lot like what I was going through about 2 years ago. It started with a torn meniscus, which I had repaired. After the surgery, the doctor told me I had arthritis. I rehabbed after the surgery and started playing soccer again. A couple of months after I started playing again, I had problems with pain and swelling in my knee. I finally stopped playing and had a cortisone injection. Ever since then, I haven't had a problem. Now, I only play soccer once or twice a week and am by no means a professional athlete. I'm not 7' tall and require explosion. But if it's similar to what I was dealing with, it can be dealt with and easily managed. All I do now is take an 800mg Ibuprofen every morning.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

yeah, but you don't play 4 or 5 games a week, and have practice in between, or rely on your explosion.

Sounds like you have found a happy medium, but we are paying a guy 20m to play basketball - and not part time basketball - but that is probably the best case scenario....dang it.

DD

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I agree. He rested last summer, and had a sore knee almost from the beginning this season. Resting the knee probably won't do much good. I think the Rockets have to move forward with the assumption that Dwight will never be an elite player again, and that his playing days may be coming to an end in the very near future.

6. conquistador#11

looks like dr. dwight howard might be the best doctor in the city. need dwight to evaluate all houston sports teams. we made jokes when dwight made that comment back in december but he knew how he was feeling.

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I didn't get to read the full article yet, but did it mention age of patients? I'm thinking Dwight's is less genetic degeneration and more size/mileage/injury to that knee, especially since not proactive with other one... I mean I'm hoping it might be easier to heal since he's younger, but unfortunately this is probably last ditch effort to avoid microfracture surgery... I'd like to be optimistic too, but I know all too well how much of a crap shoot knee surgery is... I mean it just sucks how poorly constructed our knees are in general. You basically can go from healthy to screwed if you just slightly fall wrong.

What really sucks is some of the older surgeries on knees (not this one) are really archaic still.

8. DaDakota

Yep, he was telling the truth, bone on bone - and they injected him with some gel which is temporary at best, and now they are trying another procedure to hope to avoid microfracture - which sounds like this is the last step before that anyway.

Seems like it is the patient that got the terminal prognosis and is flying around trying any voodoo or shaman they can before facing the inevitable.

Also, shows that CyberX was right on again about Rox worried he might need microfracture.

Honestly, after Yao, this is just so depressing....

DD

9. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

We might have an Amare situation on our hands.

10. DaDakota

100% is what it sounds like - sadly.

DD

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

He literally says that in his post. Ok maybe not literally but it is close

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm sticking with a microfracture announcement at season's end.

This sucks so much.

13. DaDakota

Yeah, I know - I just generally talk through my sadness - this honestly JUST SUCKS.

My beloved Rockets can not catch a stinking break, - Yao and Tmac, and now Dwight?

UGH.

DD

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

we better get another C right now...can't stand dorsey starting for us

15. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You're right, but unfortunately Houston FO has not been known for giving the fans/public good injury updates. I mean unless we see a player carted off, they normally won't say how long or what the injury is and give vague timetables. They probably still have Dwight listed as day to day...

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No sir. We're not letting him off the hook that easy. Inject, play , delay more then microfracture surgery.

18. DaDakota

I think Dwight should look at his own career, and do what is right for him above all else.

If he needs it, he should get microfracture now while he has 2 guaranteed years after this one to get back as healthy as possible for a new contract.

I know that sucks for the Rockets, but it is his career and he should not consider anything other than himself at this point.

DD

1 person likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, this is what I was talking about, mean age was 60 in this study, hopefully since he's an athlete and young could help heal a lot better. I'm glad they're trying experimental route first, because I am almost certain microfracture won't be around in 20 or so years...

20. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

What the hell man? Show some respect. Just because you signed a contract with your company doesn't mean your boss can force you come to work when you're sick. Same thing here. Not that the dude doesn't want to play, he's freaking INJURED. Jesus Christ.