1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DWIGHT HOWARD on Yao Ming: "There isn't a lot you can do against him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

Game Quotes: Rockets 103, Magic 92

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy

(on whether the offense was centered around Yao Ming) "No more so than usual. The ball just found him. We ran some things for him, but most of it just came off the players seeing him flash his numbers in the paint."

(on their shot selection) "The first half we were more alert and energetic.
    The second half there was a little more low energy. Any time you put less into it, you get less out of it."

(on the performance of Yao Ming) "He did some good things (like) getting the ball in. He was particularly sharp in the 1st 3 quarters. Again it's unfortunate that he gets his 2nd foul so early, but, again, he did some good things."

TRACY McGRADY

(on the Rockets' 30 team assists) "We did a great job of searching out Yao
    (Ming) tonight, moving the ball around. When the big fella is making shots down on the post like that, it's quite simple -- get him the ball. And that's what we did tonight."

(on the Rockets' defense) "Credit to Shane Battier for being our best shot-blocker tonight with 4 blocked shots. (We were) aggressive on the defensive end, trying to keep the ball out of the paint, trying to keep our man in front of us, which is what Coach (Van Gundy) always stresses, and just staying solid. I think we did a great job for the most part of keeping them (Magic) out of the paint."

(on the play of Yao Ming) "We were able to be blessed with a post presence, a guy who is real dominant down there. It seems like he's getting very comfortable on the basketball court and our job is to search him out. He had it rolling tonight."

SHANE BATTIER

(on the Rockets' team effort) "I thought we played a balanced game for the most part. We were a little sloppy in the 4th quarter, but for the most part we came out with great energy and great efficiency. Again, when we rebound and control the boards like we did tonight, we seem to have a lot more success."

(on Yao Ming's 37 points) "We would be fools if we didn't look for Yao (Ming). He is so efficient down there and he gets in shape more every game.
    His touch will continue to get better. With Mac (Tracy McGrady) on the wing, and Yao (Ming) down low, we can be really efficient on offense."

JUWAN HOWARD

(on his perfect night shooting) "I've had that before. I was just trying to give some energy to help out this team win the ballgame. Tonight it was a team effort. I think every guy played hard and Yao (Ming) was the driving force. He led us and, of course, with our defense to start the game, you have to give our starters a lot of credit. They set the tone early."

(on the play of Yao Ming) "He is making a quick adjustment and I have to applaud him for his work ethic. He is putting in the work and it's good to see that he's out there playing. He is a big force and we need him during the stretch run. We want to make a big playoff run and a championship run and Yao Ming is going to be the driving force behind it."

YAO MING

(on whether or not this is the best he's felt since returning from injury) "Actually, it's getting better every day, but my turnovers are still too high and my rebounds are still too low."

(on how long he believes it'll take until he's 100%) "Actually, I don't know. This was the first time I hurt my knee and I don't have enough experience on this of how long it's going to take."

(on his performance) "I think I need to just keep moving. They (Magic) have
    2 big guys on the inside. I needed to keep moving my feet whenever I was in transition and use the screens in pick and roll in the half court. Rafer
    (Alston) and T-Mac (Tracy McGrady) did a great job of getting me a lot of easy catches right under the basket for an easy shore."

ORLANDO MAGIC HEAD COACH BRIAN HILL

(on the game) "I wasn't disappointed in the way we came out. Houston made their shots and hit some big three's to get going at the start. Our consistency wasn't as good in the second half."

(on Yao Ming) "We wanted to come out and to try and go at him and get the ball inside to Dwight (Howard). He is a very tough guy to shoot over and we wanted to try and put him in as many pick-and-roll situations as we could. I wasn't so surprised to see Yao as active as he was but I didn't think he would get 37 points."

(on his team's comeback in the fourth quarter) "When you get down by 20 late in the game you have to start thinking about your next game. Then we got on a run and cut the lead to 10 but we had really run out of time."

(on the Rockets) "They are a very good basketball team at both ends of the court. They are right up with the best offensive teams in the NBA and will be a very tough out for any team that plays them in the playoffs. They are the 4th or 5th best team in the West but they might be the 4th or 5th best in the NBA."

DWIGHT HOWARD

(on Yao Ming) "He's 7'6" and there isn't a lot you can do against him. He had a great game and his jump shot was falling. You have to run him and we didn't run him enough, coming off his injury. You have to run the floor against him."

KEITH BOGANS

(on Yao Ming) "Yao can play flat-out. He is one of the hardest workers in the NBA."

JAMEER NELSON

(on Yao Ming and the Rockets defense) "Yao (Ming) is a super star in this league. He made some tough shots. He's 7'6" and has a big advantage inside but our guys defended him well. Houston plays closing the lane defense whenever you try and penetrate inside. Their defense is very tough."

GRANT HILL

(on injury to his pinky finger) "It happened on a play when I fouled Tracy
    (McGrady) and I banged my pinky finger. The doctors looked at it but it is fine, just a little swollen."

(on the game) "Houston did exactly what we were scared they would do coming in and that's jump out early. That's been their M.O. especially when they are at home. We got back into the game but it seemed we were swimming upstream all game."

(on the Rockets) "They are a great team and they share the ball and that's why they have a great record. I think this team is very underrated and people are looking past them for the playoffs. They are really a good team and have played very well against us. It's amazing what their record is and they are only the fifth seed in the West."

(on Shane Battier) "Shane (Battier) is really a very good basketball player.
    He knows my game about as well as anyone. He is disciplined and a very smart player. It's fun to go against him because I helped raised him when he was young."

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Game_Quotes_Rockets_103_Magi-215021-34.html

2. kingkow

kingkow Member

Not suprised..

Its like Yao ming on Shaq when he first came into the league.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

I was worried about how Yao would respond tonight going up against a young athletic big guy so soon after returning from his injury and he rose to the occassion. It is always interesting to see what other team's players and coaches have to say about our guys.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In a one on one situation, he's right. Yao cannot be stopped.

At least he wasn't a baby chicken like Eddie Curry by saying a lot of garbage after he knows he won't see Yao until next season.

5. tsunami

tsunami Member

>>>>>(on Shane Battier) "Shane (Battier) is really a very good basketball player.
    He knows my game about as well as anyone. He is disciplined and a very smart player. It's fun to go against him because I helped raised him when he was young."<<<<<

What the heck of that? What did Hill mean he helped raised Shane? Any idea BattiersBaby? or anyone eles on board ?

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

Duke Blue Devil connection.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They didn't play together but I assume it's some sort of Duke reference. Maybe Shane got to hang out with the team when he was in grade school or high school.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Fellow Dookies.

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Grant hill has been workingout with battier forever. the 2 duke prodcts are very good friends and hill has been batmans mentor forever.

10. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Yao ming is freaking amazing. he is without the undisputed doubt the best big man in the game. forget duncan or KG or anyoneelse. yao is the big guy and only guy i would build a franchise around. we hit the jackpot getting this monster in the draft.

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

(on the Rockets) "They are a very good basketball team at both ends of the court. They are right up with the best offensive teams in the NBA and will be a very tough out for any team that plays them in the playoffs. They are the 4th or 5th best team in the West but they might be the 4th or 5th best in the NBA."

Isn't that the same thing?

12. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

Definitely no arguments here on Yao being the best in the game. His shooting touch and ability to make free throws seperate him from the bunch. His improved defense and strong work ethic don't hurt either.

However, there are weaknesses to him like any other player. Howard is a beast but he's still young, an agressive shot blocker (which Yao used his basketball IQ to pump fake and get easy shots) and one dimesional on offense (meaning he can dunk and lay it in). With Yao, you have to make him play defense, get him in foul trouble attack him straight on (like Amare will tommorrow) and that's your only chance. No question we have the best center in the league

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

besides the obvious duke connection I am almost positive shane is originally from detroit where of course hill played his best years. probably being one of the better high school players in the area Hill must have met shane then and started a relationship and may have had some influence in his decision to play at duke

14. robinyuli

robinyuli Member

"Actually, it's getting better every day, but my turnovers are still too high and my rebounds are still too low."

Yao still worries about his turnovers and rebounds...

15. rocketgo

rocketgo Member

Yao is talented, he is not strong enough as Shark or Howard, but he has all kinds of weapons, and the most important is that Yao has a high bball IQ which will bring us the title.

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I was one of the guys saying we should be easing Yao back into things. It looks like I'm wrong and I don't feel any shame in saying so. :D

17. YAO&MAC

YAO&MAC Member

YAO: YOU CANNT ****ING STOP ME...

He's right, you cant ****ing stop him... :D

18. Htown57

Htown57 Member

wow, i love to see yao dominant already, and more than that, dominant against the third (or arguably second) best center in the leauge in only his 3rd game back (that's scary.....). It tickles me that the magic didn't even have a little bit of an answer to our now multi-pronged offense.

and man, yao works hard. dude scores 37 points on 14/22 shooting and 9/11 FT and when asked how he played, says his turnovers were too high and rebounds too low. We are honestly blessed to have a player like yao...he works as hard, maybe harder, than any player in this league....and seems to just keep getting better.

19. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

and the game ball goes to....

YAO MING

but it takes 5... im not fooled and finally you can't F@$^ing stop this team now

20. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

That was essetially my point. He used his basketball IQ to dominate Orlando tonight. Tmmorrow is a different sroy. he'll have to deal with the Nahs/Amae pick and roll, Amare taking it strong in the post nd a lot of helop defense. I's also a back to back. Tough for us