1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard on Inside the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 10, 2016.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

He didn't say effort. He said "lapses" which means focus more so than effort. He then said "high level" which again could mean, "who can is totally focused without any mistakes for 40 minutes".

When you make mental lapses, it can look like effort because it takes too long for your body to react. That becomes more apparent to us watching from afar and leads to issues on the court where everything has to at least be reaction-based.

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

It's great to see a guy like Biyombo play, he's so excited and looks to sets screens left and right, eager to get the ball. We just don't see that from Dwight..

3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Cause Dwights capable of more, Biyombo isn't. This is simple human nature.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

No he's not and the funny thing is that he would get the ball if he set screens like Biyombo is doing.

5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

No, he still wouldn't.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Whatever floats your boat.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've said this million times, the only way to become a better free throw shooter, you have to increase your range. Bottomline, Howard should shoot more jumpers. The downfall is, fg%. He can shoot 1000 fts a day, but if the only time you shoot from more than 5ft are when fouled, its impossible to become better from that range.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have mixed feelings about this, Leeb. Hakeem and Dwight are around the same height and Dream certainly developed range, and developed it early in his NBA career. The 93/94 season? He shot 72% from the line at age 31. We would all be thrilled to see Howard shoot 60%, much less 72%, right? Yet they couldn't be any more different as players, not in my opinion. The main similarity I see is that they were/are both centers. While Dream was a madman about working on his game, Dwight seems more interested in developing his upper body and dreaming about playing in the post like, well, Dream.

I think Dwight at 29 isn't going to become better from the line than he has been for his career, an average of 57%, no matter how many jumpers he shoots in practice or in games. In fact, he may give us another sub-50% year next year, if he's here. If you were talking about a 21 year old player, sure. Maybe that would help (it might help Capela, who needs help in that area desperately). Heck, I would have been delighted if Dwight had shot that career 57% this year. Instead, he regressed from his career average to 49%, a level of suckage that blows my mind for a guy of his experience in the league. The best we can hope for, no matter how many jumpers he takes, is that 57%, in my opinion, and I have absolutely no faith that he'll manage that next year or any year.

I'm sick and tired of groaning when he steps up to the line. It cost us wins this year. I don't have the numbers, but I watched the games and I can't see how it didn't.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You don't need numbers.

A terrible FT shooter is a liability during the 4th quarter and during runs and leads when opposing coaches pull a hack-a-turd.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No, you really don't need the numbers. I'm curious about this supposed rule change to reduce "hack-a-Shaq" strategies against the Rockets or any other team. The quotes I've seen from Silver have given no clue as to what that change might be.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It doesn't matter, that's only a small part of the problem. Fouls are a natural part of the game and if he gets the ball more he will continue to go to the line regardless of hack rules. I think he went to the line 7 times a game this year? That's too much and just think he wants the ball more, lol. He really puts everyone in a bad situation. You want to see him succeed because he's on your team but he wants to do things he's not good at and if you don't let him he quits. It's really an odd way to go about things. How many back to the basket players who shoot 48% from free throw are averaging 20 ppg in this new NBA? Can someone look that up?

12. Fantasma Negro

Biyombo < Capela

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Means nothing in the playoffs as evident in Game 1. Because right now I would take OKC's 1-0 record over Golden State's 3-0 record.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, he will certainly be offered that. I suspect even the $20M/year range, given the huge salary cap increase, and hence the number of teams with plenty of room for it. The question is, given his current salary, and potential expectations of a max offer, if he will take it. Can talk all day long about how he should take it...but will he?

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No research necessary. None. How many back to the basket players are there who even average 20 ppts these days? Can't think of one. And any that do come to mind can shoot...that's how they get to 20 ppg.

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No research necessary. None. How many back to the basket players are there who even average 20 ppts these days? Can't think of one. And any that do come to mind can shoot...that's how they get to 20 ppg.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The irony is that the reason Dwight is a horrible post-player is that he has no range. No defender has to play him for a jumper, just play him to pound the ball inside. Problem is that he is not Shaq and the NBA calls offensive fouls now.

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Please explain how Howard wouldn't get the ball off screens and picks when Beasley, Harrell, Dmo, and, Capela seems to receive the ball all the time but they don't play as much as Howard? Howard wants to be the main superstar on the team when he doesn't have the abilities to be a superstar anymore. At least not on offense, that is ofcourse unless he sets screens and picks and then I could see him be dominant but he doesn't want to do that. Imagine if Adams refused to set picks for Durant and Westbrook.. It's unacceptable and childish.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Shaq atleast had a touch around the rim. Shaq had moves where he could play one on one and still get a dunk. Dwight doesn't even have that. But you're the game has changed and Shaq would probably be on the free throw line all the time.

20. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Agreed. I wonder how much Capela would get if he was a free agent