1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard on Inside the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, May 10, 2016.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

What is #hardenshoot ?

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

extremely doubtful he wants the ball in the post every possession. however he probably would like more consistent touches from game to game instead of not having a idea how it will go each game. this has already been discussed before, getting touches doesn't just mean giving it to him in the post. getting him touches gets the ball moving and allows others to get involved. It's just not for the sole purpose of getting him a shot. everything cannot be perimeter oriented all the time. there needs to be versatility and balance. that's a big reason why its so easy to guard houston because there isn't any. sure he isn't the same player he was before when initially came here but he can still be useful given hes involved.

3. JD88

JD88 Member

Nobody knows, but it's cool to be part of the 'in' crowd.

4. Fantasma Negro

No one and I mean absolutely no one can ever insult Dwight Howard the man. Dwight Howard is one of the most charitable people in the league. Not just money but he puts in time, he visits sick kids, he goes to schools and talks to students, he organizes blood drives and food drives and hands out food on both Thanksgiving and Christmas and then gives out a truckload of toys in Houston, Atlanta and Orlando every year for Christmas. No one better ever say a foul word about him as a person. The issue with Dwight is his game which CAN still work with proper ball movement, but he needs to understand that he can't get the ball every time on every possession because he's not that player. I would love to have Dwight back but the pouting and the sulking has to stop. Last year he said he was ready to make the ultimate sacrifice, he towed the line and we went to the wcf but it seems this year because it was a contract year he had other plans, I hope it works out.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting to say the least. I'd have him back for like <13-15 mil a year, because honestly if he leaves whoever replaces him will probably be worse.

But he's like Harden in the sense that there needs to be leadership elsewhere on the team to get the best out of him. Hiring a strong coach who he and Harden will respond to is critical.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Never said he wants the ball in the post every possession.

Anyway yeah finding different ways to get him the ball in a position to score is nice, obviously. But last night he specifically was talking about getting the ball in the post and how it's on his teammates to make sure that happens.

We're at our worst when we're feeding him in the post.

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Totally agree....

People on the board are trying to read into things that are not there..

Howard did a nice job...

T_Man

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

He did a good job of representing himself. However, nobody asked him what is he doing in his training to elevate his game (post moves etc... Free throws) to force teams to double team him giving our shooters room. Teams are actually begging us to give the ball to him in the post when we only score 38% of the time (turnover, missed shot, he's fouled and misses free throws, gets an assist, or makes the shot) 2 out of 5 isn't bad I guess.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Skip: The whole interview was frustrating, conversation off point. I didn't get this theme that you're a bad guy Dwight. I could be wrong but I don't know anyone who thinks he's a bad guy. I know some think he's a nice guy, doesn't take it seriously enough, to use his term last night too laid back, not a drop of Russell Westbrook in him, no killer instinct, no drive or rage to win. We see a gifted guy who puts up good numbers but not a guy obsessed with maximizing his potential. It's not about being a bad guy, it's about being a good guy. Where's the killer instinct & will to win, work so hard that you improve your low post scoring? Why haven't you gotten better in the low post? The ability has never been maximized. FT shooting has never improved. He's made $167M. You know & I know he wants to test the FA waters. At age 30, on potential alone, "if only, if only, if only, we can get the most out of him!", he might get another max deal. Charles said let me explain how TV works: when you're great, we love you. When you're not great, we kill you. No, that's the way life & sports works. We all expect so much from Dwight that we've never seen before and when we don't, people will criticize. Does he really care about it or not? He's deluded himself into thinking I'm a bad guy. The point is no one thinks you care enough about the game you were born to play.

SAS: At the risk of Charles wanting to slap me and Kenny call to check me, you're right. This notion he's a bad guy, I don't know what they're talking about. No one has said Dwight is a bad guy. They've said the opposite.He's a very good guy. He's decent. Not a malicious bone in his body. That's not who he is. The problem with Dwight is when, and he has to grasp this, they leaned on the notion you gotta be you. When he says you gotta be you, yeah but no. On one hand, do what makes you comfortable and makes you play best when that's the priority. But when you're a franchise caliber player, you're also called on to lead. If the image or persona you give off doesn't inspire the troops around you, you might have to modify it so they don't have a reason to question your commitment to excellence. If you're Dwight, $88M man, cornerstone of the franchise along with Harden, it's y'all's team. If you got guys looking at you and they're saying you're playful but we don't know how committed you are to winning, you still have to address the situation. To say be yourself, no, it doesn't work that way. He's 3-time DPOY. When healthy, he's big time. He has a valid point when as a big, you want to be & get involved. You're banging down low, you expect to be fed. That's the job of a guard. Howard & Barkley are right, he has to opt out. This is his last opportunity to make big time dollars. ... He has to look in the mirror and recognize that even though playing with Harden hogging the ball didn't work to his advantage, he didn't help himself because he left Orlando with SVG. He elected to depart LA with Kobe. When you decide to go to Houston, the situation is what it is. Look in the mirror and understand what you did to yourself. Don't be pissed off at anyone else's notions but yourself because you could have made better decisions. The narrative last night was all wrong. He's not a bad guy. He's perceived as a very nice guy & commitment to winning has been repeatedly questioned. ... Playing for Carlisle is a win. Playing with John Wall with Scott Brooks could work. Atlanta with Budenholzer could work. He doesn't need to be with the Knicks. Atlanta, Dallas, Washington are viable opportunities. He'll get some money. Max? It would take a desperate team.

Skip: Bottom line, you can't change Dwight at the next stop, where he suddenly plays with fire we've never seen before. He is who he is.

SAS: You can change perception. You can make sure the players & coaches you coach/play with don't think that. ... If they know unquestionably you have a commitment to excellence, the outside world will adapt because you'll have guys vouching for you.

#230 J.R., May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">TON of respect for <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward">@DwightHoward</a> tonight, who was open &amp; honest on <a href="https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT">@NBAonTNT</a>. Went back to listen to it again... <a href="https://t.co/7TNkMAlU9p">pic.twitter.com/7TNkMAlU9p</a></p>&mdash; Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/730244044752703488">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

nah **** her

13. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Dwight: "I want to get better." There's only one place he goes to get better: Memorial Hermann. Dwight staying in Houston confirmed.

1 person likes this.
  14. Zergling

Zergling Member

Dwight sucks in the post. That's why we don't give you the ball, because you suck.

You want to be useful in this league? Watch Andrew Bogut, DeAndre Jordan, and Tyson Chandler on the Mavs team that won it all. They do all the dirty work, never complain or demand touches, and aren't toxic.

15. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I wonder what happened in the place near Cancun??

16. chandlerbang21

throw that offensive stat out the window, it WAS a problem which is why the games went to hell when harden wasnt going iso at top of key. He had to play 40+ minutes multiple games during the season while the rockets routinely were shooting below 30% from 3ball

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interesting deal about Howard is no teammate was asking for his return when the season ended. It seemed like everybody knows he's gone.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/730412481206583298">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

when your team is the worst in the league defensively other things looks worse than it is. anyone trying to criticize anything offensively needs to realize the other side of the ball needs to be addressed first.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Unsurprisingly, the First Take bit was annoying. It's funny watching Harden get blamed for other players' decline. He has his faults for sure, but Dwight's primary issue (IMO) is Dwight being largely unwilling to play the way that would best suit Dwight's current skill set.

20. chandlerbang21

Love inside the NBA . its gets higher ratings than the actual games sometimes