1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard, NBA Champion.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Oct 7, 2020.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Dwight is towards the top of the list when it comes to players who deserve a championship ring. He's one of the longest tenured players in the league and he sacrificed his reputation with the LA media (headed by ESPN) to become a member of our organization and was great for the city while he was here. We may not have won with him, but the energy he brought to this city the week he signed is something I will never forget as a fan.

Congrats Dwight! You have capped off your HOF career by earning a championship ring as a starter.

2. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Of course he gets one before Harden. :rolleyes:

Jontro, gatsby, bulkatron and 2 others like this.
  3. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Dwight Howard, Lebron teammate. A growing list of dudes who latched on to Lebron to play in or win a finals.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This is why I want Harden to go to a team that has a chance to win a ring before it is too late. That is not the Houston Rockets.

He's going to have to accept a lesser role in the offense, though. If the offense runs through him, then it will never get him to a ring.

Harden deserves a ring more than anyone imo, besides maybe Dwight...who has paid his dues for a long time now.

clos4life, xtruroyaltyx and jacoby like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

How do u deserve a ring after being straight up toxic with every team you’ve been with. His only exception has been this year.

What’s next? Melo deserves a ring?

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't really agree he "deserves" one. he ran himself off teams for several years now

he latched onto a Lebron team who keeps him in check, without worrying about GS for a year, and has been a locker room cancer for years and years. He's getting one though whether anyone likes it or not

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

jacoby and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

The Lakers are most likely going to win the series, but I think it's funny you couldn't wait one more game to post this. Total T-Mac move.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Perhaps he can go play with LeBron or Curry and try to win a ring that way. He'd be a great 6th man.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how did he sacrifice his reputation when his reputation was already dead? Stay off the coke.

acsorelle4, s3ts and CometsWin like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was a nice effort of a jinx, it's on Heat now. ;)

hakeem94 and Patience like this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

What does "deserve" even mean? What does "paying one's dues" even mean? Howard anchored a very good Magic team that lost to Kobe's Lakers in the Finals 11 years ago.

Dwight hasn't paid any dues. He was the #1 overall pick who was very good, came to the Rockets where he thought he should still be the #1 option / Shaq 2.0. That didn't work. He toiled on teams in ATL, CHA and WAS which were all bad teams.

Then he latches onto a team featuring LeBron and AD where he knows he won't be criticized if he sucks. And now he's a game away from a ring.

I'll give you this: takes a lot of guts to sign the non-guaranteed contract that allows the Lakers to cut him at any time for any reason. But he doesn't deserve a ring nor has he 'paid his dues.'

Are all veterans that were on previously bad teams and decide to chase rings, deserving of winning a ring? What a ridiculous take.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

If there's anyone on either Finals roster who 'deserves' to win a ring, it's Jimmy Butler. And even then, imo, no one 'deserves' to win a ring. After being labeled a 'locker room cancer,' he's clearly proven he's not. If he was so bad for team culture, players on his team, Spo and Riley would hate him.

Besides this current Miami team, Chicago was the closest he's gotten to a ring, but Rose got injured and Noah declined. Minny prioritized stats over wins. Philly prioritized Harris and Horford over Butler.

Miami prioritized work ethic and team culture - the latter of which Dwight Howard is allergic to.

s3ts, MettaWorldPete and hakeem94 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

16. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

17. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Jimmy is trash. Dwight at least came and tried. I can respect that.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Jimmy Butler is trash? Care to explain why you think this?

Dwight came and tried? What's that mean? He got benched in game 3 because Meyers Leonard negated him. Then he played all of 8 minutes in game 4, missed his one shot attempt, had 2 TOs and his night was done.

I'm not knocking him because he latched on for a ring. If I was in his shoes, I'd do the exact same thing. But to say he "deserves" a ring is just something I disagree with. So far, no one on this thread has made any points besides "he's had a long career" or "he sacrificed his rep to play for Houston."

If you're a big Dwight Howard fan, I'm sorry for ragging on him, but vaguely stating that you respect someone for "coming and trying" (again, what does that mean?) and then posting highlights of him from 6 years ago is just strange to me.

Ronkol and MettaWorldPete like this.
  19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Not a big Dwight fan I just remember watching all these guys come into the league at the same time as Lebron. Watched them throughout the NBA seasons. I can respect Dwight because he came to Houston and gave it a shot. Jimmy don't deserve **** but a nice vacation the reason he went to Miami and he'll get it too. Jimmy does not deserve it more than Dwight. Dwight finally got over his back issues and realized modern NBA. He played for several other teams before going to LA. How is that a latch? It takes a team. Right now Dwight is on the better team. It's fun to say you were close though right?

20. jojolover

jojolover Member

Dwight is the only big time free agent joining Houston for I can remember. I appreciate that.