1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard is being phased out of the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vindicator, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Dwight had ever learned to shoot FT's at a respectable rate and had a better post game, then he wouldn't be getting phased out. It's no one's fault but Dwight's.

2. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fGjdKQPz9uo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> :(

We could have beat GS last year with this Howard :eek:

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Funny thing is, he's pretty much right. However, I will say that It would help if any current player worked on that facet. a turn around 12-15 ft jumper that can't be stopped would work as much today as it did when they called it the dream shake. Frankly, besides some flashier handles I don't see the difference in a guard driving to the rack that can't be stopped or a big man on the post who can't be stopped. Cycles, all the speed and run and gun hype will fade the next time a powerhouse team gets built. One that works on half court post move and tough defense, speaking of things the game has moved away from.....

4. ApuN

ApuN Member

Article is bogus

I'd say by not developing a game outside 5 feet,

Dwight is "phasing himself out of the game"

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Asik could do the stuff that we want Howard to do for half the price, AND be happy about it. He's perfect with Harden. He'll set picks all day, play defense and rebound. And he'll do it for an entire season. But unfortunately we value the big name here over production.

[​IMG]

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Courtesy of r/nba:

https://infogr.am/top_centers_compared_statistically

A statistical comparison of top centers.

My interpretation is that he definitely still has a place, but not necessarily on the Rox. if he wants to go to Orlando, I could live with a Vucevic swap.

That is, of course, if Horford doesn't work out

7. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Capela for even less can do what Asik is being doing so...

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We would have had as good a shot as any to win it all last year with 08-10 Howard.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Its cool, we got Sam Decker for the pick we traded Asik for.

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You also need to remember, we have basically noone who can make an entry pass without staring at Howard for 15 seconds of the shot clock telegraphing what we're aiming to do.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If you actually bother to look at the passes Dwight gets those all the time he cant catch them anymore he's not quick enough to adjust anymore. He also cannot dig in the way he used too. He can't bring his body low anymore allowing for an easier bounce pass which is what he gets now but again can't adjust for the catch. Not only has the game changed but also Dwight has regressed.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Much of that is on Dwight for boxing out inefficiently/poor positioning, but yes I agree with you.

I believe that the last solid entry passer on this team was Aaron Brooks

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Too many times people think, " because there's no dominant b2basket players that aspect is ineffective..

The effectiveness isn't obsolete.. the players who can perform the skill are obsolete.

Dwight's post skills have been subpar his entire career.. but since he excelled in a weak era for bigs, he lowered the standard of a big's effectiveness.

Back2basket isn't obsolete, Dwight (among others) just sucks

14. Mister Beard

Mister Beard Member

I just want to reply and comment on the DMO aspect of your comment. I think he would be a really effective player in SAS's system, with him getting more touches around the basket and him being an above average passer for a big man. I think the problem with good low post players is that they are simply not utilized effectively in today's league. When you are standing out in the 3 point line the majority of the time you don't really get to be involved in the offense by drawing the double team and making plays for your teammates.

#55 Mister Beard, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2019
  15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Since when were blocked shots, altered shots, rebounds and dunks getting phased out of the NBA. :confused:

16. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Absolutley spot on analysis.

17. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Dwight is the antithesis of Tim Duncan. He's basically a big man version of Steve Francis. We should've anticipated his rapid decline.

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I almost cant believe this season is over. Every game added to the embarrassment..

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

The guy still averaged a double double. So what if his scoring is going down every year. It's more the team than him. He could easily get his 18ppg he got with the Rockets his first year with more touches. He could easily get 20ppg if Dwight would accept pick n rolls as the go to move.

He's just gotten older and stiff from the back surgery and knee problems. Not being phased out...drop offs happen to players over 30 that used to be great athletes without any real skill sets.

I would absolutely bring him back if Harden publicly said he wanted him back and if Dwight accepted running pick and rolls all day long with Harden. Post up now and then, but majority of his buckets must come from pick and roll. He's stubborn and immature but i mean...how many other Centers are giving you 18ppg, 14rpg, 2.3bpg? Those are Dwights playoff numbers as a Rocket.

If Rockets fans get their wish of JVG returning. Expect Dwight to be resigned and i bet you he will go back up to around 18ppg.