1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard injury thread (video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, May 19, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just hope McHale gives Capela more minutes when he's resting Dwight instead of running the Smith/Jones combo out there. Capela/Harden PnR kills teams. They don't run it enough.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

A 90-100% Dwight is essential for a win. A 80% or less Dwight trying to play is a sure way to lose. Don't put him out there unless he's good to go at a high level, otherwise he's a turnover machine and it's better to just roll with Cap.

3. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

FWIW, Mike Breen was on 104.9 The Horn in Austin earlier this morning and didn't think Howard would be playing tonight. He didn't reference any special insight he had that led to that opinion, however.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. We need the top form Dwight. When he is not healthy, he is more of a liability. His game depends a lot on his mobility and hop. A hobbled Dwight is worse than no Dwight.

If he is not feeling good, I'd rather he sits this game and be stronger for the next.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not feeling the idea of playing the next day after "throbbing" pain...Even if it's gone, you're not far enough removed from it...He could play 10 mins and regress right back to it.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I think if he's at 86% or more, we give him full minutes. 80-85.99% is 24-30 minutes. Under 80%, retirement.

1 person likes this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Makes sense. No need to take risks.

8. eslate22

eslate22 Member

Harden said Dwight could barely bend his knee yesterday. I just don't see how you can be close to 100% a day later. I say send him home today so he can get a full rehab with the doctors here in town and be fully ready for game 3... We still have a decent shot at winning tonight without him

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rockets med staff is in oakland with them already. It's just a grade 1, he should be fine getting treatment over there.

10. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just give him an aspirate in the knee again and then a Tylenol.

12. eslate22

eslate22 Member

He won't "get better" in Oakland

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If he goes back to Houston early, he can't take the staff with him.

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Honestly, I do think he had pain in game one after Smoove rolled into knee.

However, I think what prevented good play was mostly mental not physical. I do think he could have elevated for dunks, blocks and rebounds BUT he didn't want to force the issue bc he didn't know the extent of the damage and was afraid to cause more injury to his knee

Now that he has been evaluated, he will play really good.

I think we will see an avg of reg season Dwight and playoff Dwight (provided on court pre-game running goes well)

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I say we pull a Chris Paul in Game 2 and rest him tonight.

We want him at full strength when it comes back to Houston and we have a better shot at winning and getting back in the series.

I'm not writing off the game tonight, lest someone here starts a thread and calls to ban me for being a "quitter" again... :rolleyes:

16. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

There's only one place I go to get....BETTER :cool:

1 person likes this.
  17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The difference was that the Clippers already had stolen Game 1 and homecourt. If Dwight does sit tonight and the Rockets lose(God help us if we only lose by a basket; imagine the second guessing), it makes Games 3 and 4 must-wins, so I hope he plays the best ball of his life.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The difference is, I'm betting Paul would have played game 2 if they had not won the first one.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh, I get that. But Games 3 and 4 are must-wins even if we win tonight. So may as well have Dwight playing with 4 days rest. IMO, of course.

I think giving Capella his minutes tonight might be a change of pace that could really benefit us. Run that pick-and-roll with him and Harden ALL NIGHT LONG. Sure, they could start hacking him, but he's no worse than Dwight is at the free-throw line, so nothing really gained by them if they do.

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I know you're trying to say some are important and some are not, and I know you think anything from me is bad, but... when will y'all stop saying that stuff?

EVERY GAME is a "must-win" game. It's not like you're going to say "it's cool to lose this one", is it?

:eek: