1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard gives an update on his knee issue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2014.

1. FeaR

FeaR Member

Wexler's tweet after the game while Houston Chronicle's was before. I think even McHale doesn't know.

2. Raven

Raven Member

D-Mo got this.

:)

3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Yeah well, ok. But I'll take these wins for post season positioning right now. I noticed that they count in the standings ?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hopefully they are being extra cautious, and he is back soon.

DD

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Will this "soon" be sooner than King Drew's "soon"?

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Rockets coach McHale says Dwight Howard won’t be returning ‘any time soon’

Dwight Howard was a surprise late scratch for his return to Los Angeles against Kobe Bryant and the Lakers back on Nov. 19. A knee issue had crept up, and this early in the season, there was no reason to risk any further damage by trying to play through something that could be a lingering problem as the year goes on.
    A day later, Howard underwent platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment on the knee, in an attempt to speed up the healing process.
    But nine games later, Howard is still sidelined with the injury. And Rockets head coach Kevin McHale intimated that his starting center is likely to be out for the foreseeable future.

From Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle:
    The Rockets’ hope that Dwight Howard could be close to returning from his strained right knee seemed to be fading.
    While discussing Pat Beverley’s return from a strained left hamstring, Rockets coach Kevin McHale said “It would be nice to get everybody else back, but that won’t be happening any time soon.”

McHale had previously said he hoped that Howard, who has been out since Nov. 19, might be ready to return in time to play on the Rockets’ road trip Wednesday and Thursday to play Golden State and Sacramento. Asked if he had a better feel for Howard’s timetable, he said again, “He won’t be back anytime soon.”
    The good news for Houston is that they’ve managed to keep winning in the short term, despite Howard’s absence.

The Rockets are 7-2 with Howard sidelined, and that includes wins against good teams like Memphis and Dallas.
    Houston hopes to be playing deep into the postseason, however, and that’s unlikely to be possible if Howard remains out of action.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/07/rockets-coach-mchale-says-dwight-howard-wont-be-returning-any-time-soon/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

So which is it? Is McHale not expecting Dwight back anytime soon or is he optimistic about him being back soon?

Soon

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

This is what I don't understand. How do you go from the guy being on the verge of returning to not coming back anytime soon? I hope they're just doing what I suspected they'd do which is buy him an extra week since they only play 3 times between now and the 17th when they go to Denver.

9. rockets13champs

I believe wex more than national media

10. baubo

baubo Member

From reading the original chronicle article, it seems McHale basically said no chance this week. But after that, who knows? It's more of how one thinks about "soon." McHale's probably just sick of hearing the questions.

I think a better way to put it would be Dwight will come back when he comes back.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wex is very smart.

12. Jimmy Chitwood

I think McHale is trying to keep teams guessing. I think Dwight should be back this week.

13. JesusAllen

JesusAllen Member

It kinda sounds like nobody knows. which is kinda scary

14. AliefRockets713

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets coach Kevin McHale says Dwight Howard won’t return from his injury “any time soon” <a href="http://t.co/ZFqFRwHRQm">http://t.co/ZFqFRwHRQm</a> <a href="http://t.co/bdPApjnKcH">pic.twitter.com/bdPApjnKcH</a></p>&mdash; Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/541676894001692672">December 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. Jimmy Chitwood

I don't buy it

16. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

After the game last night Mchale said D12 would be back realativaley soon...Before the game he said not any time soon...I'm not sure if these are the same qoutes from before the game or completely new qoutes, but I'm hoping his post game comments are more recent than those qouted for this story

17. rocketseagles07

I don't buy it either and if that is the case I think we're just playing the waiting game. If we were losing Dwight would've already been back but since we aren't I think Houston is telling him take as much time as you want and if things go bad we'll get you back on the floor

18. bongman

bongman Member

No reason to be worried about something we have completely no control over.

19. Jimmy Chitwood

Yup. However, with Dwight, we can look at some games as automatic wins. With the guys we have now, I worry about every game.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Listen guys. Some of you seriously have a striking inability to keep things in chronological order. All these reports were written before McHale's last words on the whole thing.

The MOST RECENT McHale comments on the situation are that he expects Dwight and Canaan to be back relatively soon. He said Kostas will probably be out longer than them though.

Given the fact that Kostas has explicitly said he will be out 10-14 days, it doesn't take too many brain cells to gather that Dwight and Canaan will be back before then.

Now this is purely my interpretation of it, but given McHale's comments and demeanor, I would expect Dwight and Canaan to be back within the week.

So let's give between 2-3 weeks for the whole team to be back. Except Jones. Not really sure what to expect about him.