1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard doesn't get the ball much...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Nov 2, 2013.

1. demarco1

demarco1 Member

bring tyson chandler + jr smith for Dwight lol, although i don't like jr.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Yeah it's pretty clear they're going through moments where they're passing to Dwight when they should be just throwing it up, and playing see spot jump

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

4. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

When they pass to Dwight, it's like they are doing it out of obligation instead of what's most efficient. Like they have to do it just to get it out of the way because he is the #1b/#2 guy. Dwight just doesn't have the post game that someone like even (sorry) Blake Griffin has. He definitely does not have to be double teamed if someone big enough is on him.

Dwight is a superstar based on his awesome defense/rebounding + his average offensive abilities. He's Asik, but with a bit more defensive range and more shot blocking abilities + he can catch majority of passes. If Asik didn't have such wooden hands on the offensive end, he would've probably average 16 and 11 instead of 10 and 11 last year.

Remember how everyone talked about Dwight when he came to town with Orlando vs. Yao? How his offense isn't that great? Yea...that hasn't changed just because he is on the Rockets now.

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketblood713

hope he don't complain cause that's where it starts

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Blah. I know it's not necessarily best for the team, but I did cringe a little when I saw him BEGGING for the ball a couple of times tonight and get totally ignored. It sucks that he has to be pacified to some extent, but... yeah, I don't know. Hopefully he understands that this is his last shot to prove he can be a team player. I think he has to understand that.

7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

That and they actually rebounded the ball. WHen Harden went out in the 1st Lin and company threw to him in the post over and over in the post. He was losing it, or getting blocked all the time. His moves arent instinctual, it's mechanical, which is why he keeps losing the ball.

8. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

Now everyone (including myself) can see what The Dream meant, when he said Dwight was still Raw. It might not look pretty this year.. but I think he still has the skill set necessary to turn it around. He still have time to learn with Olajuwon and Mchale around.. its just not gonna happen over night

Would like to see him use the Hook more, he jumps out the gym.. not many guys would be able to block it, once he gets it down

9. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Don't think any big man uses the hook anymore:confused: It's sad. Yao might have been the last to actually use it and use it well. I think Duncan doesn't even use it.

10. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Yeah I hope Dwight does not start complaining, but what kinda surprises me is this guy when he was in Orlando was their main threat almost every night. I remember looking up the box scores back then and would see him score 20-30 points a game, what happened to that guy? They were pretty damn good for the whole time he was there, and led them to the NBA finals once. Now he is kinda putting up Omer Asik numbers of last year. It seems like we always end up getting Orlando's best players after their prime.

I remember Yao would always school Dwight in all of their meetings. Yao was a beast but injuries and his heavy body frame is what kept him from being an all time great. Give him Dwight's athleticism and Yao would have been one of the best ceneters in NBA history probably.

11. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

It's okay the Rockets are playing selfish stupid ball and getting away with it because our defense is ridiculously good right now. The offense should always be run inside out. Dwight did it in Orlando and he can do it here. Stop with the crap about him not being able to handle the ball. He can handle it. He just never gets the ball here. Half the time he is wide open on drives and the guy with the ball doesn't even look at him waving his wing sized arms.

The OP is right on with this. Feed the ball to Dwight all day. Don't be stupid. Don't reinvent the wheel. Just give him the ball.

12. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I have yet to see Dwight kick out with a pass to a perimeter guy when he's overwhelmed inside on his back-to-the-basket moves. Three guys are wide open on the perimeter and Dwight instead decides to muscles it through the defense. He either misses badly, gets swatted, or, steps out of bounds.

13. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Al Jefferson

14. Baruch

Baruch Member

What's happened to the said deadly combo? I doubt Howard gets the chance to work with Lin during practice as it's kind of set that Lin plays with the 2nd unit.

15. elrond

elrond Member

Looking at the bright side, we'll be able to determine how good of a teacher Hakeem/McHale really are based on whether or not there is any improvement from Dwight during this year. I tend to cringe whenever Dwight gets the ball in the post, but I'm willing to take the bad with the good.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

If only Dwight had Jefferson's offensive skills to go with his defensive abilities.

17. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

While Dwight hasn't looked good in post up ISOs, I'm also of the opinion that our perimeter players are currently doing a terrible job of getting him the ball in the right spots at the right moments. I fully expect that to get better as the season goes on.

18. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

When I watch dwight's post game, it's like did he take the summer off. Bring what you practice to the game please!!!!!!!!!!

19. hahachui

hahachui Member

his offense is so bad,,,
    DMO, or even greg smith has better offense

20. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Dwight's post games maybe sub par, but teams still double team him when we get him the ball down low. As long as he realizes this and finds the open man; we good.