1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard doesn't get the ball much...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Nov 2, 2013.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

I've been watching the last few rockets games, and Dwight seems to get frustrated quite often. He asks for the ball, and harden and the other players on the court either ignore him, or just do a pump fake-pass and end up passing to someone else instead.

There have been so many consecutive possessions where Dwight doesn't get the ball passed to, it's quite ridiculous. He's the best center in the league, and doesn't even get the ball much. I know the rockets are trying to find a rhythm with their offense, but still, at least give him the ball more...

2. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

In orlando the team was built around him....

in Houston its built around Harden and his ISO's

1 person likes this.
  3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Problem is his post ups are just...not that good. He loses the ball or gets blocked too often. I do see there will be problems though. He will whine about it, not motivated. The problem is also if he gets fouled he can't make FTs, ultimately his post up is just not that good.

Solution? PnR. I don't know who or why it is decided, we don't do PnR. It's darn stupid not to do that at least half of your plays with Howard.

4. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Dwight doesn't finish, gets blocked, is struggling with catching the ball as well.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's a high turnover player, has limited offensive skills, and can't shoot free throws. He shouldn't get the ball very often.

6. AFS

AFS Member

He's gotten at least 6 post-ups the first half of this game, which he hasn't been particularly effective in. There are situations where he's getting deep post position, a couple of times in transition in particular, where the team really just needs to lob him the ball and let him go get it.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

... because when he does, he embarrasses himself?

the best way to get him to score is on the pick and roll. problem is tonight Harden seems to be hobbled.

also when he makes a move, he should be willing to pass out. all those hands reaching in make him lose the ball. get the outside shot going and he will have less double and triple teams.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

Sorry to say, but Dwight is just not a very good offensive player. We can't afford to play like we used to play with Dream, inside out, until he improves significantly.

9. Omnipotence

Omnipotence Member

because he is a trash post up player

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Harpring is right on the money, we need a 2nd scorer behind Harden and Dwight isn't it.

11. NotChandlerParsons

I'm not sure where "dwight is not a good offensive player" comes from. He's limited yeah, but the dude has multiple 20+ pts seasons shooting nearly 60%. That's insane. If he would just commit to the pick and roll 100% we'd be unstoppable.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

And thats the brutal truth that Dwight Howard, the Rockets coaches/management, and the Rockets fans need to come to terms with.

13. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

dwight has a usage of around 25%, which makes this thread pointless

14. WNBA

WNBA Member

Howard does not deserve to have the ball.

15. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Dwight is not Hakeem or Yao. The offense should never go thru him.

16. B-balltm

B-balltm Member

If dwight just plays within the flow of the offense instead of just trying to play through him. I think he will get his points for sure since we play a fast pace

17. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

He rarely has deep position and tends to receive the entry 2nd hash extended, many times opting to pivot, face up, and take his man off the bounce. He does not have the brute force of a Shaq, but he's a very powerful man. I wish he'd back his way down to the block, where he'd have higher % looks.

1 person likes this.
  18. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

true, but does that mean he should just give picks to jeremy/harden all game long and wait for a rebound to come to him? i know he doesn't like that. he didn't like hardly getting the ball in LA, and I know he must have been assured that wouldn't be the case in Houston.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think they've been underutilizing him as a pick and roll player, but him posting up has worked about 25% of the time (and that's generous). His main value to the team is through his defense and rebounding, both of which are arguably best in the league. I think he understands that, but it's important to keep him involved in the offense. He shouldn't be relegated to just watching us shoot 3's and ISO.

20. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Why did we come back from 19 under in Utah game? How did Howard revive in the 2nd half? We ran PnR. It has to be done.