1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard declines player option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Lightsnowaction

He has about a $30 million cap hold on us and will contimue to decline and admitted he loses interest in games when he doesn't get touches. How will we regret it?

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I too was a Dwight sympathizer until he admitted he quit on the team. Dwight saw how well the Rockets played when he took a back seat in the offense and still he didn't want to play that way.

I still think the Rockets didn't know how to get him the ball where he was effective (even though he refused to do what was most effective, PnR) but his comments after the Rockets flamed out of the playoffs were damn annoying.

If he comes back, whatever. If he leaves, whatever.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

James Harden is our best player. He is going nowhere (yet).

It's time to move on, for both sides.

No amount of counseling is going to make this marriage work and they sure as hell don't need to "force" it.

And are you prepared to pay him $20M+ over the next 3-4 years?

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Very well said. It was obviously never going to work. Why waste Harden and the money.

5. ApuN

ApuN Member

YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Good riddance

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Dwight is one of my favorite people in the NBA, but this is a case where it's better for him and us to end the relationship.

Howard needs to reimagine his game and I hope he finds a coach who has those amazing skills. D'Antoni has a lot of good qualities, but player development and psychology are not his strong suit. Same for McHale and JB.

8. Badrose

Badrose Member

Time to move on is one thing, I accept it. Happiness because he's going or insulting Dwight is just stupid.

9. sabesque

sabesque Member

Would be hilarious if the rockets now immediately fire D'Antoni as soon as the paperwork is filed.

10. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Come back on a one year Vet minimum? ;)

11. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

He's declining a player option. There's nothing for Morey to renounce

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Even offering the vet minimum would be an insult. I'd be okay telling him not to let the door hit him on the way out.

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

**Breaking** : Dwight Howard re-signs with Houston 5 yrs max contract.

:p

14. albuster

albuster Member

All the rejoicing in Rocketsland or aka Moreyville is surprising considering that without Howard this team, as it stands right now, is a certified lottery team. Unless, of course, people here are really hoping to be in the lottery next season, and the next. There is no savior among the FA's and Dream is not playing this season. I have never been a fan of Howard's but he has been the only silver lining in the post seasons where the Rockets played during his tenure in Houston. As the Chinese saying goes, beware of what you ask for you might just get it.

15. Houston79Astro

Dwight just isn't worth 23 million dollars in today's game. For what he does for the the team, you could find someone on the scrap heap that produces the same... Ok, not the same. I'm talking more bang for your buck kind of production.

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

No surprise but still exciting!

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Good thing the season doesn't start for another four or five MONTHS.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

He's opted out, but he can still come back if both sides agree on a deal. So let's not pretend he is 100% gone, because a lot fans will be super disappointed. We can offer the most security for him and i think he genuinely like's Houston, Tx a lot. I know it sounds boring and all, but Morey probably knows Dwight coming back is our only real chance at having a 2nd star on the team.
    Of course he will chase Durant, Whiteside, Horford, Conley, but come on. Were going to strike out quickly on these guys. Especially Durant. There's really nothing for Durant here. Just to play with Harden? He's got a far greater team in OKC that when healthy always reach the conference finals. Harden is his boy, so i think Durant will let him know quick that Houston isn't really on his list. When that happens, Morey will panic and we will go all out to keep Dwight.

It's not a bad thing. Dwight has been a very good player for the Houston Rockets and a great player in the playoffs. So he had a down year, but so did every other Rocket. We were doomed from the get go.

Where will Dwight go honestly? I don't buy that he's some dude who's completely oblivious and thinks that he's going to get 20+ attempts in the post in today's league on any team in the league. I don't buy that he thinks he's going to get 30+ mil a year and be featured as the #1 option. There's not a single team that would do that. I don't buy that he isn't aware that he just isn't that good of an option in the post and that he isn't aware of how dominant he is as a pick and roll man. I don't buy that Morey hasn't put tons and tons of data in front of his face to prove all of that and Dwight just ignored it.

Golden State? He'd play under 30 minutes there and just set picks and rebound all game long. Maybe he'd put everything aside to win. But, no. There's so much hate that we will all say he only did to be loved and in the media spot light for the darling team of the NBA.

Orlando? Milwaukee? He'd fade into irrelevance there. But, if he went back to Orlando or went to a tiny market in Milwaukee, that would be amazingly admirable.

Where the hell else can he go? Portland? Pick and rolls. Atlanta? Lots and lots of ball movement where he can't just sit there waiting for a post entry pass. He doesn't fit anywhere as a post option. Every single team in the NBA would make him set picks all game long except maybe Milwaukee.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'd rather watch Harden led lottery bound team than pay Howard for 3-4 years and still end up being in the lottery anyway

just a reminder we barely made playoffs last year and got btfo in the playoffs

20. MystikArkitect

Dwight Howard reminds me of that old saying about boats.

The only day better than when you buy your boat is when you sell your boat.