1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard brought loaded gun to airport

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Victorious

Victorious Member

isnt this fairly common thing to happen? im sure many athletes throw their gun in their bag and forget about it.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The problem is the pervasiveness of guns in general(particularly in the hands of relatively immature people) more so than bringing a gun to an airport. These types of things are bound to happen (even innocently) when you let nearly everyone have a gun.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Texas law now makes it a non issue. You can't get arrested for bringing a loaded firearm into the airport in Texas. You are only asked to leave immediately.

This law came into effect on Monday. NON issue.

This is Texas and Howard has a CHL. He was well within his rights and did nothing wrong.

Please stop your ignorance.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/travel/2015/09/01/texas-makes-changes-airport-gun-law/71543094/

4. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Hahaha Howard is lucky he's in freaking Texas, bunch of dumb redneck rules over there bwoy! Yeeeehaaahhh cowboy..

5. bmd

bmd Member

He has a concealed handgun license.

Meaning, he has the authority to carry a gun on his hip or in his bag, or wherever on his person.

It's not illegal in Texas to take a gun into the airport. Guns are not allowed on a carry-on bag on the plane. But you won't get arrested if the scanner shows that you have a gun in your bag. They will simply tell you to leave.

6. bmd

bmd Member

You CAN carry a gun in the airport.

You cannot take it on the flight unless it's in a checked bag in the cargo area.

7. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I can live with all of this, but guys please, no violence against women and children . . . or the homeless.

8. tdo

tdo Member

Y'all act like he started shooting the place up. Jesus some of you are overreacting so hard to a dumbass mistake. My grandmother did this back in the 90s, and I can assure you, she is most certainly not an idiot. She was working in real estate, and traveled a lot between Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston. She carried a firearm, because she had been assaulted previously by a client. She goes to an airport, completely forgets her loaded handgun is still in her purse, and wham she obviously gets caught. She was arrested, but released a few hours later once all the details got sorted out.

Some people carry a firearm for their own protection. Some people travel a lot. It is not the most ludicrous thing for something like this to happen. Was it dumb? Yes. Should he be more carfeul? Absolutely. But acting like the guy just got away with murder, and saying you hate our team because of this is ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  9. marky :)

marky :) Member

/thread

10. baubo

baubo Member

Not to go D&D on this, but you do realize how much people in America and especially in Texas love their gun rights, right? Dwight probably has to kill someone first before that might be even considered an option.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Yep. Good post.

12. malakas

malakas Member

amazing.....anyway thanx for the info.

Yes , yes I know. But what I also keep hearing from people who are pro guns is how important is that you keep safety rules and have education on how to use your guns. And in my honest opinion someone who doesnt' know/remember where he left his own gun shouldn't at the least be able to carry. What if he forgot it in a bag when his little kid was alone at the house? The gun was loaded.

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

GET SOME DWIGHT!

[​IMG]

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yes, he's lucky he was in Texas where guns are worshiped. I guess this about does it for me with Howard - I simply have no faith in him as far as being a foundation player who can lead you to a championship. I just don't believe he's serious about anything other than getting paid.

15. marky :)

marky :) Member

Because he did something stupid and left a gun in his bag? :confused:

From watching the playoffs last year, looked like he was dead serious about winning.

16. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

How is.. nevermind..

17. bmd

bmd Member

Well yes, people who own guns need to take it seriously and be very responsible. However, people are still human, and humans aren't perfect.

18. malakas

malakas Member

and that's why humans who make such potentially fatal mistakes should get punished so a) not be a danger to others b) hopefully learn and not repeat them . At the very least take away their permit.
    This has nothing to do with Dwight. This would be my same question about anyone who did this and forgot where they left their weapon while it was loaded.

19. bmd

bmd Member

Also... a lot of people, especially from other countries, have this idea in their head that the U.S. is like the Wild West when it comes to guns. It's really not.

The vast majority of gun violence involves gangs and drugs. If you aren't involved in gangs or drugs, your odds of being assaulted with a gun are almost zero.

Most normal citizens own a gun to protect their home on the rare chance that someone would break in and try to rob them during the night, or for hunting, or sport shooting.

20. bmd

bmd Member

He has a permit to carry his gun in public.

There is no permit to own a gun and keep it at your house. Anybody can do that if they pass a background check.

So your solution wouldn't really solve anything.