1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Aware That Houston Has Become More Attractive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Feb 6, 2013.

?

Do you want Dwight Howard in free agency?

1. Yes, a Ho is hand is better than two in the bush

417 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Nah, lets get Lebron next year

374 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think that "extra 30 M" thing is way overblown. Dwight wants to win and he knows that he won't win a championship in LA. The Lakers are in a bad position.They have nothing but an ageing squad with no cap space and draft picks.

If he comes to Houston to team up with Harden and Smith, that would be a team that can contend for years. Dwight is a very ambitious guy. You can tell that when he openly said that he won't play for the heat a few years ago. He's a guy who cares deeply about his legacy. He wants to win a championship as the franchise centerpiece. He will realize that Houston has a better of winning a championship than the Lakers and forgo that 30M to sign with us.

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

How did Rockets somehow sign Smith and Dwight?
    If Dwight didn't care about money, why did he opt in with his player option last season instead of just leaving to the Nets who had the cap space at the time to sign him in free agency?

3. cml750

cml750 Member

Hopefully that player option will keep him inLA. Let them dael with the off the court issues for the next 5meetings years. Do not want the Dwightmare here.

4. cml750

cml750 Member

Next 5 years. Dang cell phone.

5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The Rockets can sign Howard outright and construct a SnT deal to acquire Smith. I believe both Dwight and Smith would be enticed by the possibility of playing together with Harden.

Dwight cares about money. But his legacy is still the no.1 thing on his mind. He still wants to win and he doesn't want to get stuck on a team that has no chance to win a championship.

6. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

All I said is I would rather have Larry Sanders, I didn't say anything about going after him. And if you think Asik is way better than Sanders who's just in his 2nd year _ Ok, that's your opinion.

And yes I strongly believe Howard is not going to leave L.A. I think he will stick to his word about not wanting to play in Houston regardless on if Harden is here. Never underestimate the size of a man's ego. And I believe Chris Paul and Harden would not be a great fit together. So no I strongly believe we will not end up with any of those two players or Josh Smith who is not worth a max contract, nor Jefferson who doesn't play defense, or a 6-8 Milsap.

I believe Morey has his eyes on Kevin Love, LMA, and Ryan Anderson and I believe he will pull off a trade for one of them and I'm perfectly cool with that.

7. BigBopper

BigBopper Member

How do you know that? Did you just get off the phone with DH12? Or did you talk to his agent? People think they know everything...smh

8. Kingshadaine

Kingshadaine Member

Ryan Anderson would be a waste, he wouldn't turn us into a championship contender, and I think he's overrated anyway

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Agree 100% about needing Dwight. Also, I think Dwight has kind of learned his "role" from playing in LA. He isn't and will never be a lead scorer on a team. That said his injuries are concerning since a lot of his dominance is based off of athletic dominance.

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Bingo...!!!!

11. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

He's better than what we got...

12. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Yea, who wants $30 million...lol..

Just because LeBron took less money, don't think other players in their prime will do the same. LeBron had $50 million in the bank before he ever touched a basketball court as a NBA player in endorsements so it was easy for him to take less money from the a NBA team because he makes so much off the court.

Championship rings don't buy big houses and fancy cars.

13. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Lebrons championship ring might actually can. Look at all those so called "Die Hard" LBJ fans. His partically championship ring will be worth ALOT more than the rest of the players on the team.

14. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

You're basically saying that the nature of his personality is too disruptive. We could argue back and forth over whether his pysche is truly malignant (I don't think it is) but I'm willing to concede that point to make this one - so what? The reason I listed Jordan, Kobe, Garnett, Shaq, and Wallace in my previous post was to point out that just because a player's an ******* with a big ego doesn't mean that he can't be the foundation of a champion basketball team.

I just don't see it. As constructed, we are not a contender, and I don't see enough growth potential in our roster to get us there. Superstar pairings can fail - if the players aren't a good fit on the court. But I'm struggling to think of an instance where the players formed a good basketball unit but were derailed solely by personality clashes. If Shaq and Kobe can keep their heads straight enough to win together, I see no reason why Dwight couldn't fit well with our team. If you want to argue that he is in fact a bad fit with our roster from a basketball perspective then I'm happy to debate, but to me he looks like a pick and roll monster and a killer finisher in situations where Lin and Harden draw the double as they get into the second line. Great teams have superstars, usually multiple superstars, and Dwight Howard is a superstar.

The reason I ask this is because these moves don't happen in a vacuum. We have a limited window before contractual raises and the market-rate salaries we'll have to give to keep underpaid guys like Parsons cap us out and prevent us from making big acquisitions. Howard is a stud with only a few red flags that we have a realistic chance of getting without giving any assets in return. If Howard is healthy, he makes us a top-5 team and a legit championship threat for the next 5 years. If you think we should pass on Howard, then you think an opportunity will present itself that will make us even better than that. I would like to know what you think that opportunity is.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He could make some of that money back on his next contract. It's not likely that he's out of the NBA in four years.

There's also that no state income tax thing to take into account.

16. ooox

ooox Member

You're not factoring Los Angeles huge market into the equation. Houston media market is crap compare to LA. There's no reason for Dwight to leave.

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I alway hear this "media market" argument. It makes no sense. Has Dwight gotten significantly more sponsorship deals on the Lakers than he did with the Magic? Certainly doesn't seem like it.

My only hope is that it isn't a long, drawn out process this offseason. I hope he makes his decision quickly so teams can move on to their next plan of action.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

To me, the "opt-in" was all about Dwight's ego. He wanted to have his cake and eat it, too. That is, he wanted both Brooklyn and the full-max deal, and his handlers convinced him they could eventually antagonize Orlando into dealing him there if he bought them more time.

It proves the money has some relevance to Dwight, of course. But it's not as if Dwight made the choice of accepting a lesser situation simply because it's more money. He thought he would get both. This summer, he'll actually have to decide.

The choice will be between a Rockets team that is an instant contender the moment he signs and an aging Lakers team that can offer only promises (we may be old and mediocre this year, but come 2014, we'll have cap room and try and sign Players X and Y). Will that be enough? It might be, especially considering Dwight's love for the bright lights... but it's not an open-and-shut case. Everything we've read about Dwight in the past few months is that he likes Houston/the Rockets and wants to win, and I think the Rockets can make a damn good pitch.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He has actually came out and said what's most important to him and wool be the biggest deciding factor is how competitive the team is now but more importantly in the future... That is the key... Because it means he realizes the state of the lakers roster and he is being smart about this decision...

No one has a better future than Houston...

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are not factoring in the effect of Jeremy Lin as well as the legacy of Yao Ming.