1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Aware That Houston Has Become More Attractive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Feb 6, 2013.

?

Do you want Dwight Howard in free agency?

1. Yes, a Ho is hand is better than two in the bush

417 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Nah, lets get Lebron next year

374 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I don't have much against your duo.

Must be pretty good stuff you just lit up with your zippo!

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't use a Zippo to light up "good stuff", you'd overpower it with the taste of lighter fluid.

3. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Curious if the nets acquisition of josh smith will put them in a place to trade for Dwight.

If nets give up marshon, hump and a pick with another team and acquire smith they could extend josh and then at the deadline try to trade for Howard who would at least be happy going to a place he wanted. The only thing is brook is playing great but in the long haul he's had foot problems and Dwight is more marketable that nets would at least try. Lakers would prob take that offer just to stop all the drama and get a good center in return.

That said, you have Dwight with 2 injuries back being more severe, due to parasthesia and nerve problems and that is usually serious enough to warrant an MRI in most trips to the doctor. The shoulder will have to be repaired and that could take a few months just by itself. I see Dwight having problems for at least another year of not playing 100%. That could be a waste of hardens hard earned sweat.

Brook Lopez just for the sake of conversation has had food problems and we know how that goes for centers first hand.

Bynum I wouldn't touch

The next available centers would be Jefferson, cousins if available, pekovic. These 3 are the only healthy centers available so we should see who we could sign without losing depth and keeping us young as possible. Though I'd like Dwight I've seen too many times nerve defecits can really mess with you overtime. The last thing I'd want is him having another surgery.

Honestly I'd go for jefferson so he could play along asik and then play c as well. Both are healthy and health is underrated. Even if Dwight comes back 80-90% health wise his confidence and his style of play will definately suffer. I say stay away from a trade, or if you sign him do it to a short contract. 3 yr instead of 4. That way he might think he's able to opt out for another max but on reality it could save us incase he gets injured further

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We aren't in the market for a center though. We're looking for a PF.

5. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I think Jefferson could be a good pf along with asik and play c. That's why I'd make him a priority but strictly going for a pf the only 2 options are smith and millsap. Smith will leave us with no flexibility because he wants max and he realistically only plays 1 position. Him playing sf is bad. If we sign someone up we should hope they can give is good minutes at either position.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why would we need flexibility if we had a lineup of Lin, Harden, Parsons, Smith, and Asik? That team contends for nearly a decade.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think you are overrating a lot of those players.

Out of those 5 players, only one of them is a star.

You need more than one star to contend in this league, that team isn't ever...ever getting past the Thunder unless Westbrook goes Marbury on Durant and wants his own team and bolts.

That's the team we have to beat. Can Lin, Asik, Parsons become perennial all-star players? I think Lin can personally, he has the skill set and he's a hard worker. We've seen his shot drastically improve within a year...

Josh Smith is going to be like 28, he's in his prime and it really does not get better from here on out for him. He's a better option than Jefferson or Millsap though...

But IMO Dwight is a better risk than those guys because if he is healthy you are talking about having two players that are dominant at their position.

If you can't get Dwight you don't give the max to Josh Smith. Instead you look for other players that can become big time stars like Cousins or Love.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO you are underrating a lot of those players. Parsons is a very good up and coming player, Lin is a decent PG, Smith is just shy of being a 20/10 PF who plays great defense at either forward spot, and Asik is a very good young center who is a beast when it comes to rebounding.

IMO Smith is a "star" player now, he might not be a superstar caliber player, but there aren't many of them in the league.

9. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I think position flexibility is key because the amount of minutes our players play is pretty high, over usage is going to cause injury I guarantee it. The worrisome thing about Howard is the numbing sensation he keeps talking about. That's not something to take lightly.

Quick question, if we did acquire asik do you think he'd make a fit for being benched and would it be reasonable to have them playing together a lot or would they be too slow for staying in front of pfs

10. rocketblood713

I got somthing from hoopshype check this out

"According to a source, the Rockets’ director of scouting attended Sunday’s game, but he may have been checking out more than Shumpert, who may not be back to his old self until next season as he returns from ACL surgery. New York"

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/houston_rockets

11. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Bingo.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't see how that team beats the Thunder or the Clippers. Blake is already better than Smith. You need more than that just to contend. That team with Smith is just a playoff fodder team that will maybe get fortunate a year and make the WCF but never actually scare the real contenders.

Getting Smith means no Cousins or Love or any other promising young players. No thanks. I'd only get Smith if we already had that 2nd star player.

Smith is not a star player, he's a borderline all-star player.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a one on one game. Have you seen the few games where Patterson wasn't completely worthless this season? The team plays pretty damn good when that happens doesn't it? Imagine if they had a PF who played like that every single game. Now imagine if that PF knows how to play defense. That's what the Rockets would be like with Josh Smith.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Patterson is actually a better shooter than Smith.

That same shot that Patterson gets when he stretches the floor is the same shot that teams LET Josh Smith take. Patterson's man defense isn't really the problem in his game, it's really just his rebounding and his consistency.

The problem with Josh Smith is that you now will not be able to get Cousins, Love, or any other young stud that may request a trade or be traded for one reason or another.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, he's not quite as good at shooting, but he's better than Patterson at literally everything else that a basketball player does.

You don't need Cousins when you have Asik, you don't need Love when you have Smith. When you are a rebuilding team you worry about things like that, once you have built your team you don't. The Thunder can't go out and get Cousins or Love either....think they care?

16. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

We are at the point in our franchise that we should upgrade ANY position if possible. Obviously, an upgrade at SG is not possible (as we have, at worst, a top 3 SG) but if you can get a CP3 or Dwight, you do it and find another way to upgrade your PF, possibly trading Asik, whose value would be higher.

1 person likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ditto PainNoLove.

Rockets are in need of another star, position be damned. Morey has already stated this.

If they have a chance at Dwight or CP3 or Love or any other star, you better believe they'll be after them. Omer Asik is going to stop them from going after Cousins or Howard? Jones, Motiejunas, Patterson, Morris is going to stop them from going after Love or another star PF? Stop it.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you run the risk of picking up an injury prone big man who would destroy your team for years? I think not. It would be much better to stick with Asik than risk everything on Howard.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Cousins and Howard are only moderate improvements over Asik for twice the price, not worth it especially because both Cousins and Howard have been cancers in the locker room and Howard is made of glass. Is Jones, DMo, Patterson, or Morris going to stop them from going after Love? No, the salary cap is because by the time Love is a FA, the Rockets will have picked up another max contract and won't have the cap space for another star player.

20. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

I'd run that risk every day of the week and twice on Sunday.