1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Aware That Houston Has Become More Attractive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Feb 6, 2013.

?

Do you want Dwight Howard in free agency?

1. Yes, a Ho is hand is better than two in the bush

417 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Nah, lets get Lebron next year

374 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's become trendy on this site to say any superstar player is overrated.

I've seen dudes say Rondo sucks, Howard sucks, Kobe sucks, among others...

If the Rockets can get Dwight...you do it 100 times out of 100

2 people like this.
  2. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Maybe it's not about short memory. People often forget Bball is played at BOTH ends of the court.

Neglecting Harden's potential and D12's health problem, D12 is a better player than Harden. He is a better defender than Harden the offensive player.

And people don't want to sign him for FREE this offseason?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone knows what Howard could potentially do, but that's only if he's healthy. Potentially McGrady and Yao could have won a championship together fi they were healthy, they never were. That's my point. I'm not ready to hand out a max contract to a guy with huge injury concerns...I get that some are, and more power to them. If the Rockets sign Howard, and he doesn't stay healthy, they have destroyed any chance that they'll ever contend for a championship. Period. That's one hell of a risk on a big guy with a long history of injuries and that's not even mentioning the fact that he's not exactly the best teammate so you would be risking him coming in and being a cancer like he was in Orlando and like he seems to be in LA right now.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Our team is young, healthy, and full of laid back personalities. Harden is a legitimate star and a willing passer. We're good, but not that good to where there would be no sense of accomplishment in winning a championship with us (like Miami). One of our top needs is a post presence.

I'm sure Dwight wants the extra money the Lakers can provide. He probably prefers living in LA or New York, too. But in LA he'll be Kobe's whipping boy until Kobe and Nash retire and then be stuck in a rebuilding situation. In Brooklyn, he'll play next to a faded and injury prone Deron and be a mere defensive upgrade to Lopez. Money aside, Dwight would be crazy not to choose Houston.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, IMO the only question is if the Rockets want him.

6. thekad

thekad Member

Eh, switching Asik with this current version of Dwight probably won't have that big of an impact. Dwight has been slightly better offensively, but their impact on the defensive end has been similar. If Morey signs Dwight, he's banking on Dwight returning to his Orlando play.

7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I am just glad you are not GM for the Rockets. What so huge about your concern when he is still a top 5 center?

Did you not watch the first game between Rockets and Lakers where DH scored 28 points during Rockets first blowout loss???

Would you give Love or Rose max if you could sign them for FREE?

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think Mike Jones' lyrics would be fitting here.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're missing the point. If the Rockets didn't have a good young center, I'd probably support the crazy gamble on Howard, but they do have a good young center. I'd much prefer they go after a star PF, Josh Smith improves this roster more than Dwight Howard does because he's a bigger upgrade over the incumbent at that position.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The real question is if he is unhappy enough in L.A to turn down the extra year of money. That's pretty much the only question.

I think if he is then he'll be coming to Houston. We are pretty much the only destination, either Houston or Dallas and with their situation compared to ours it would be hard to see him choosing them over our own.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don't get all jopatmc on us. We've been here before.

But in any case, saying no to 30 million bucks?

Survey says:

X X X !!!

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I might agree with you, but he was willing to walk from the Magic and leave that money on the table, I think he wants to be with a contender, and he can't do that staying on the train wreck that is the Lakers. I think he leaves no matter what, I just hope we don't take him in here.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's not only no to 30 million dollars though. It's no to many other things, it's no to being at the mercy of Kobe Bryant and when those guys retire which is in one or two years, The Lakers will have nothing left outside of Howard. He'll be back to being in the same exact situation as he was in Orlando.

Again, I've said it over and over again. If it was only and all about the money to Dwight he'd still be in Orlando. He would have happily resigned there because they had given him everything, they had fired the coach, GM, and all it would have took was a new contract and promise to make the team better (which is every GMs goal any ways)

I think the guy does want to win, obviously. Otherwise he'd still be in Orlando and if Kobe is returning I doubt he'll be returning as well.

Meanwhile we have Chris Paul saying he's 99% sure he's going to resign and we have Howard saying....yeah...

I'm not guaranteeing anything though obviously, I just don't think it is solely about the money because he'd still be smiling it up in Orlando if that was the case.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lol sign him for free? That's one of the biggest misconceptions I've seen on clutch fans to date. Your risking screwing Harden by paying 15M to a player that can potential never play at the same time, and ensuring he never has the support he needs to win a championship. It was a big risk before, and now it's even bigger because of the now limited time we have to build a contender.

15. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I would love to see Morey sign DH this offseason just to watch the reactions of the Lakers fans and listen to the thunderous boo's when Rockets play in LA.

Imagine that as Rockets fans! At that moment, DH will be worth every penny of his max contract.

I like Smoove for this team b/c he is a top defending PF. I actually prefer him over Millsap. The only problem is he will ask for max contract.

Millsap at 10 million > Smoove at 15 million.

This is where it gets tricky. If we sign DH, we can also sign Millsap at 10 million, assuming we trade Asik later on.

Lin (8.3)
    Harden (13.6)
    Parsons (0.9)
    Millsap (10)
    DH (20)
    ----------
    52.8 million for the starting lineup.

This will leave about 5.2 million to fill up the rest of the roster. With Morey's ability of keep finding players like Beverley and Smith, it's very possibe to assemble a championship team under the cap.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well then he is crazy because he didn't.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't choose....he got traded.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Give me Asik and Josh Smith over Dwight Howard and Millsap any day.

19. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

If we sign Howard, Lin must go. With Harden will have our ball dominant guard and then adding Howard to clog the paint, will have to surround those 2 with 3 point shooters. Or at least with someone cable of hitting a 3 pointer, which Lin is not.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Morey has talked about the prospect of getting the second star.

1. Position does not matter.
    2. We have the first star. We can afford to be choosy now. (Translation: We don't need big gambles.)

I don't think Morey will throw the farm to gamble on Howard. He'd take Howard if he could still stay flexible in case the guy didn't pan out.

Howard looks like a probable TMac Part II without at least a few of the prime years left for us.