1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard Appreciation / Riddance Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, May 21, 2016.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Well everyone says he sucks so he can't be that overrated also he was an absolute beast in his prime

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Just trying to balance out the absurdity of this thread with more absurdity. :cool:

3. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Then Les can re-gift it to Barkley, and all will be forgiven. :grin:

4. basketballholic

Here's your link. Dwight's agent has recommended to Dwight to opt in to a $23+ million salary for next season. If Dwight does not opt in, it will be because his agent and the Rockets agreed to a new 3 or 4 year deal or because Dwight overrode the advice of his agent.

5. sabesque

sabesque Member

Sounds interesting but looks like you left off the link.

Curious about why his agent would think he'd have more value next offseason (after a season under MDA, no less) instead of maximizing whatever he can get on a long term deal now.

6. basketballholic

1. He can't get a long-term big money deal this summer.
    2. It's not about a season under MDA. It's about Dwight busting tail and getting his numbers and if they bench him he's got leverage to create a disaster in the locker room to force his release. He can then join a playoff team (Spurs, Dubs, Mavs, Cavs, Hornets, Heat, maybe Knicks), and go on a salary drive into the playoffs dominating the glass and paint.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

If Dwight opts in, he gets traded. A one year $23 million Dwight with bird rights won't look so bad when teams have to spend the money anyway.

But my guess is he opts out and signs with someone else. If he opts out, no chance he resigns with Houston.

8. basketballholic

No doubt there are multiple teams that would like to trade for Dwight on an expiring $23 million salary.

Here's the rub. Name one trade involving Dwight that would not require us to take back long term salary that both teams would do.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Has he opted out yet?

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

To me, his agent would be taking a huge leap of faith.:
    (1) you're gambling that he stays healthy and/or looks healthier than the last two years, which is a pretty big if
    (2) there's no uncertainty around the role that the rockets want Dwight to play on this team, and it's a role that Dwight had admitted to being demoralizing to him. His agent is assuming that Dwight can change his attitude about his role and that role will significantly improve his market?
    (3) can you assume that the rockets would do him the favor of trading him to enough of a contender if he does the bad attitude play? As you mentioned in another post, it's not like a playoff team is going to give up value to get him if they're making a playoff run and he has been benched. They rockets philosophically would rather him rot and expire than move him for damaging assets. And then Dwight ends up in a worse sport (perception wise) heading into his last contract next off season.

11. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I remember attending the dwight rally at Toyota center when he first signed. It was so awesome and surreal that a big name like him actually chose Houston instead of being forced here in a trade. If at that time you were to tell me the rockets would have 2 1st round exits and 1 WCF appearance, I would have said this was an OK result. Not Bad but not Great. I can't say I have any hard feelings about him but I agree it's time to part ways. In the end, he was a key part to Houston making a WCF appearance for the first time in like 17 years? That playoff run will be remembered for a long time.

12. basketballholic

They're working on it. They realize they just can't trade him if he opts in. It has to be an agreeable trade to a team that values Dwight and that Dwight values. But it's simply very unlikely that they're able to work a trade deal before or during free agency.

Most likely scenario right now is Dwight opts in and then we're in wait-and-see mode through the free agency period.

13. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Been thinking about that rally too. Like you said, it was an awesome experience having THE top FA choose us that year. It felt like we would be a top-tier destination for years to come. Comparing the expectations from right after that signing to how things actually panned out is really sad.

14. basketballholic

You can't let the inmates run the asylum. We ran amuck when we made James the co-gm next to Daryl. That's on Les and Daryl. Very poor leadership.

15. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Also, not that it's necessarily related to bballholic's info, but Dwight posted a pic on Instagram this morning in all his Rockets gear. Hasn't done that in a while.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Superstar players always have input as they have the leverage of FA.

The issue wasn't Harden, it was Les.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

He picked Houston because after Kobe exposed his lack of drive, competitiveness and heart he wanted to go somewhere where the scrutiny wouldn't be as severe and he'd have folks lining up to kiss his ass. Houston fit the bill perfectly. Now, after having worn out his welcome here, he's out looking for another sucker er team to buy into his scam.

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sounded credible to me, if I were him I wouldn't walk away from 23 million guaranteed, see David West.

19. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Weren't they trying to trade him before the trade deadline last year, and could not find a suitable trade partner? Would the expiring contract be more attractive?

I also remember the rally to welcome D12 to Houston. It was a great moment for the Rockets. I do believe Howard played his best during the playoffs to get us to WCF and thank him for that. I wish him the best on his next team. If we end up with Howard next year, I hope he "sees the light" and plays with as much energy as he can.

20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Howard if he opts in this MIGHT, be a possible trade senario i read on knicks fan base website. I dont know how much leg this rumor has, but it was presented from inside source about Dwight to Knicks with Affalo/Lopez 20 Mil in deal, and rockets can choose another contract to make salaries meet (2mil) Seems like howard might opt in.... and or if rockets include brewer for Calderon swap

They are excited about a Howard/Porziņģis/Anthony/Grant and whoever else they might grab in free agency.. Affalo would be great off the bench, and Lopez at 12 mil for 3-4 years is hard to swallow but he can run a pick and roll and is a serviceable big man, just look how portland utilized him to win.

Lopez / Capela Montrez Harrell
    Horford/ Anderson/Beasley
    Ariza / Beasley/McDaniels Dekker
    Harden/ Affalo/ Mcdaniels
    Lin/ Beverley

Shooters in Bold
    Defence in Italics

Lin (6mil) and Anderson(10mil) might sign for good deals. Hartford may take (15m). Not a terrible lineup if the trade would happen. Would take the new clippers slot as 4th seed.