1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard: 2013 Free Agency Signing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BeeBeard, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

This thread is about the idea that Dwight Howard could become a Houston Rocket in 2013 as a max contract, unrestricted free agency signing.

Here we make several assumptions:

Assumption #1: You are already jaded and tired of hearing about Dwight Howard as a potential trade target. That ship has sailed, as they say. Well, this is a little different. This is about Dwight Howard, the free agency signing. The Rockets have a ridiculously large amount of cap room to play with at the start of the young season, and a healthy chunk of that could theoretically be used to sign Dwight Howard to a max deal this off-season if he so chose.

Assumption #2: Dwight Howard is the best max player currently not on a long term deal. This isn't close, really. I suppose an argument could be made that Chris Paul, who also has no long term deal inked yet, is also a great talent who can change the direction of any franchise. But in terms of impact, it's got to be Dwight.

Assumption #3: Something incredible has happened in Los Angeles that was unexpected but not outside the ambit of possibility, but it in any case has led to Dwight Howard becoming an unrestricted free agent after the 2012-2013 season. Potential scenarios include things like:

- The Lakers' locker room atmosphere becomes so strained and toxic that Dwight refuses Mitch Kupchak's every overture to get him signed long term. Dwight goes to the highest bidder with the cap space and the attractive young nucleus, that's the Rockets, boom.

- The Lakers fail to make the playoffs this season, and generally fall way below expectations. Dwight wants out. Few teams could sign Howard outright in free agency and compete for a championship the very next year. The Rockets can. Boom Part 2: Return of the Revenge of Boom.

- There is some sort of allegation that allows the Orlando trade to be rescinded, such that Dwight Howard is no longer a Los Angeles Laker anyway. These include clerical but nonetheless serious issues like Andrew Bynum's potentially undisclosed medical history, tampering allegations, etc.

Assumption #4: We are talking about something that, at this point, seems incredibly unlikely. But if you were to ask me just three weeks ago, "BeeBeard, will Oklahoma City trade James Harden to Houston?" I would have told you no, that's ridiculous, and also please share with me whatever you are on. But because we now live in a world where the impossible is now possible, this topic may deserve our attention.

Dwight Howard, Houston Rocket. Speak Clutchfans, speak! :cool:

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

inb4hate

Definitely worth pursuing, but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully after a down year in LA, he sees the potential in Howard + Harden + Morey. If LA wins the title though, no chance.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

BeeBeard, is that really you jopatmc? :p

BeeBeard, will Dwight Howard walk as a free agent to Houston?

BeeBeard, please share with me whatever you are on. :)

4. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

somehow I feel Dwight is not a good pick chemistrywise...i think rockets are not in desperate need for new players...this roster is capable of great results as well as great improvements....take my word for it:grin:

5. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Exactly what I thought.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

With Asik on the team now doing pretty much everything Dwight can do defensively, without any of the offensive ability, I ac tually think you take a bigger leap up getting a Chris Paul than a Dwight. Paul and Harden with interior D in Asik and whatever banging PF you can find who can also hit a jump shot (right now that best candidate is Patterson) is a championship contender in my book.

7. Fullcourt

Asik to Dwight is a much, much bigger upgrade than Lin to CP3, and I'd rather not have 2 max guys in our backcourt. Interior scoring is what we need.

8. kinein

kinein Member

Just not going to happen.

9. torocan

torocan Member

We'll have to get MUCH deeper into the season and see what happens with the Lakers before there's even a possiblity of Dwight.

That said, I'm not sure Dwight is a great fit in terms of personal chemistry with the team. I suppose Harden and Lin could take the edge off, but it's a pretty good gamble.

On the other hand, PnR's with Harden/Lin/Dwight would be beyond sick...

10. Fullcourt

To hell with hypothetical chemistry issues. Up until a year ago, the world thought Howard was a perfect citizen. Once the uncertainty of his future is a thing of the past, I'm sure whichever city Howard ends up in will fully love him (Very likely LA). If you think it's a bad idea to pursue signing a top 5 player in the league without giving anything up, you need to have your head examined.

1 person likes this.
  11. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't see CP3 leaving the clippers at all. He is both GM & coach of that team. He has so much influence. Also, they have actively worked to build a contender around him & there roster is really good this year.

I also really like Omer & would rather go after DeMarcus Cousins as opposed to Howard. Still really young, so much upside. Might as well keep following our youth movement as much as possible.

12. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Id rather bring in CP3 next year.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Just stop to waste your time and effort. We do not need this drama queen, and he is not going to come here, we already have a good leader right now.

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Dwight isn't going to walk away from a full max especially in LA

15. Fullcourt

I wholeheartedly agree, but that doesn't mean Morey shouldn't at least entertain the idea come summer time, even if it only means a wasted trip to Dwight's house.

16. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

No. Kevin Love. He's the guy.

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think Dwight Howard is a better fit on the Rockets than someone like Bynum because Lin and Harden are going to penetrate and find him for easy dunk or lob it for the alleyoop. Howard fit better on this team than the Lakers because Lakers are playing a different style and Kobe need the ball.

Howard will change the interior defense and offense better than Osik. So he's going to help anchor the load inside and solidify the Rockets inside game. If we can't get him, i suggest we go after Manu Ginobili and replace Chandler Parson w/ Ginobili. Of course, not givng Manu the max, he's not worth the max, he's old. So go after another free agent as well.

18. 713

713 Member

Dwight is staying in LA to recruit Lebron for 2014.

19. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Isn't the max you can get with your current team far greater than the max other teams can offer? Wasn't that the reason being given on why he would have remained in Houston if we traded for him?

Makes me think true max players will not leave their current teams via free agency.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Read up on NBA Bird Rights & See 2011 CBA NBA Sign & Trade Rules.

Dwight will be leaving nearly 25 to 30 million dollars in guaranteed dollars with (most likely) his last major free agency contract of his career.

Sure, its concievably "possible" that Dwight foregoes that right to sign with a team like the Rockets next Summer. Its happened with players before, just not on a contract the size of his. Also this is the first time a superstar wont be able to use the Sign & trade rules to their favor & the teams favor that's watching him leave their city in the dust. I get that things can go bad quick in Lakerland.

However, realize that even for one of the richest athletes in the world, 30 million dollars is still 30 million dollars.

*THIS is exactly why Morey was so willing to trade for Dwight Howard last Summer. He knew that this reason would be why the odds are in Houston's favor to re-sign Dwight. When the Lakers won the bid in trade, they knew that as long as the first half of the season went well... its smooth sailing from there, and they should be able to lock up another franchise superstar for another 5 years.

-If something is going to go wrong for the Lakers it needs to happen quick for Dwight to strongly demand a trade to Houston. Because after the February trade deadline, the odds are very, very slim that Dwight will actually leave the Lakers. Same with Bynum.

1 person likes this.