1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DVD] Star Wars - A New Hope - Where Can I Find It?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Feb 14, 2015.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I would like to indoctrinate my boys into the Star Wars universe by showing them Episode IV. I have been searching all over the internet but can't find the DVD anywhere. Also not available via DTV On Demand, streaming on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

I do NOT want:

• limited edition interactive blah blah blah for$50+
    • the complete saga (for $100+)
    • the Lego version
    • the Angry Birds version (really?)
    • version translated to the Navajo language (no kidding, I saw this)
    • Clone Wars cartoon
    • Rebels cartoon

I just want a DVD of the original Star Wars for less than $30. Is this possible? I didn't think it would be this hard to accomplish seeing as how the movie is 37 years old...

Any suggestions?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Have you checked the internet?

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You're in luck.

Amazon has one left

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea, but more than 40$.

How about just downloading it?

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Once they see A New Hope, they are invariably gonna want to see The Empire Strikes Back, which is the best of them all. Why not just pony up and buy the Blu-Ray trilogy?

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My 4.5 year old is obsessed with all things Star Wars. He knows all of the stories and is actually excited about number 7.

However no matter how much I try, he prefers 1-3 over the originals.

The storyline does make more sense to a young Padawan if done in order.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There's an "original" version out there on the internet. Some genius took the abomination Lucas created when he "remastered" the classic and restored it to how it looked when it came out. Han shoots first! The light sabers are the original colors. Stuff like that. Also, it's free. Wish I had a link for you, but surely someone does.

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Are you referring to the Adywan edits? I only watched it once but those were really good.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

That dvd is going for that much? I may sell mine at a premium price then. Never watch them anyway

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the original trilogy on blu ray/dvd for $45 on amazon seems like a good deal. If they like episode IV you'll want to show them the other 2 and you're only looking at 15 bucks a piece.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think that's it. The guy got rid of the assorted special effects Lucas tossed in later and even restored the original audio effects. Really did an excellent job.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Rent it from the library, like Mom did with Paper Chase and Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Or check multiple Barnes and Nobles or comic book stores. I could see big college towns having vintage video stores.

15. Xercules

Xercules Member

You have a good chance of finding it at Half-Price Books.

16. Steve_Francis_rules

Han didn't shoot first! Saying "first" implies that Greedo had a chance to shoot before Han got him.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Is the Blu Ray actually the original versions and not the ones that Lucas had redone?

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No.

Since the original special editions came out on VHS back in the 90's, George Lucas has gone out of his way to make sure every version released has his "improvements". I don't think a DVD version of the original has ever been released.

I had the original trilogy, but being the stupid kid I was, when the special edition came out I sold my original to a friend. Honestly aside from the Han/Greedo scene, most of the changes don't bother me, but that scene changes Han as a character. The Blue Rays aren't the originals, but god they look spectacular in 1080.

1 person likes this.
  19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I dislike the Jabba scene, the Greedo scene, the young Anakin ghost, and the changing of all the Stormtrooper/Boba Fett voices to match Jango Fett (and thus retcon the Stormtroopers/Boba Fett into clones). Other than that, the changes are improvements.