1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dusty hates Chas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Jun 23, 2023.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

There's a reason he hasn't won it all, his whole career, until the front office gifted him one last year. That, and oh yeah, a great catch at the wall from Chas.

Stephen66, Jags, Wulaw Horn and 6 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If by they you mean Dusty then yes. He also thinks Dubon is our best defensive CFer when we have Meyers on the team.

Dusty has always shafted Chaz to LF, without justification. Until the front office stepped in an demanded him in CF in the postseason. Meyers is elite, so moving over for him is fine. Moving over for Dubon, not so much.

noppeper, Stephen66 and Joe Joe like this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

This article just confirms what we already pretty much knew, it's personal/old head/stubborn bs reasoning behind Dusty's decision making. We knew all that and we don't like it. What I don't like even more is Chandler Rome's s*** starting, dropping this article the morning after the most dominant and important 3 game sweep of the season when team spirits and momentum are at an all time high. Seriously, eff this guy, and he wonders why the front office doesn't like him.

4. Qan

Qan Member

I really am curious why Dusty has an issue with McCormick. McCormick seems like an overall good guy and doesn't seem like a guy who would cause drama/malcontent. Maybe he privately complained to FO, and Dusty found out.

Stephen66 and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Until Brantley got back, the lineup decisions were actually pretty damn simple. He just botched it with regularity. Even now wouldn't be complicated if you learned to treat Maldy like the backup he is. There is nothing wrong with wanting to give guys the day off, but it always seems to be the same 2 guys.

BTW, I like how the article says Chas is limited to LF, CF, & DH, but he's played plenty of RF as well and been fine, just not ideal because his arm isn't as strong.

Stephen66, Wulaw Horn, Kim and 3 others like this.
  6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

And a big reason Dusty finally won one was Chas play in CF

Stephen66, Kim and Dredd like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas looks to be as good a hitter as Brantley (probably better as I'm leery of Brantley not being 100%) right now, or at least closer to Brantley if Brantley is 100% than Dubon is to him. Using Dusty's logic that hitting a ton shouldn't matter if there is a perceived (though probably inaccurate, IMO) defensive difference, there is no way Dusty should be playing Alvarez and Brantley together. The differences in hitting between Chas and Dusty's favorites are huge (based on 2023 data, 2022-2023 data, 2021-2023 data).

Personally, I think Brantley and Alvarez should play together against RHPs as I think hitting is important. Chas should, too. Diaz should too. I also think defense is important, but rarely comes into play in who is better at a position unless the hitting is close (i.e., 15 points of wRC+). I probably would not play Brantley as much as I expect he'll play in the regular season, but that is me worried about him getting hurt prior to the postseason.

#107 Joe Joe, Sep 7, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    Wulaw Horn and cmlmel77 like this.
  8. Dredd

Dredd Member

Great timing for all this to come out. Another 2 months of Dusty and he is out of here.

Stephen66 and Nook like this.
  9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Weird thing is, as much as some of us worried Chas would lose PT when Brantley came back

None of us thought it would be because Dubon would become the full time CF

And yes, Dubon has been hot which is great, but Dubon and Chas both have track records and 99% of the world knows who the better player is. Part of the other 1% has been family friends with Dubon for years

10. Screaming Fist

These are some great quotes, nice find. I thought the "exit hits" thing was a Bagwellism but maybe Bagwell borrowed it from Dusty. Great minds think alike after all.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I gotta say I didn't think Brantley would affect Chas that much. I was more thinking Brantley would eat into Diaz's PT. I was worried when Julks was sent down that Dubon would go to CF and Chas would go to LF (Meyers would lose time and Chas would not play at his best position). I really thought there was no way Chas would lose as much time as he has lately after being one of the best players in baseball for a 3-month period.

noppeper, Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  12. Screaming Fist

I think the most interesting part of the article is that it confirms that performance doesn't really matter all that much to Baker as compared to hype (e.g., from being a top pick in the draft) or having an established brand. Not having those things playing time just seems to comes down to how well Dusty personally likes you.

Stephen66, Wulaw Horn and Joe Joe like this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The "they" is fluid - I've wonder if they, the Astros, didn't see Chas as a viable CF. The article seems to indicate that they, Baker, doesn't think he is. And that they, the Astros, are as perplexed by Baker's usage as we are.

The Chas situation is straight-up weird. If Baker is back in '24, it really seems like he'll push to trade him - will be interesting to see if Brown has enough pull to override (as I assume Brown very much sees Chas as a fixture.)

14. Hey Now!

And, also, Kyle Tucker plays there.

It really does look like the issue is Baker doesn't see Chas as a viable CF option. And given that, Chas is thrown into the mix with Alvarez and now Brantley, and he's not going to (rightly) supplant Alvarez. I'm good with Brantley getting as much PT as possible. But... it's just becoming increasingly harder to justify Chas not being a fixture (again, assuming match-ups, and all that).

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This IS worrisome and certainly not fair to Chas or Astro fans.

But I honestly only think it becomes an issue if the Astros dont win the AL West. Then there will be questions of how many games Dusty's decisions cost the team.

If they win the AL West, they get the bye and the preferred path through the playoffs.

Just like last year, Chas becomes the everyday CF w/ Yordan and Brantley splitting DH/LF. LHSP is very rare among AL Playoff teams so this becomes almost everyday, but Dusty could sit Brantley, move Chas to LF, and play Dubon or Meyers in CF. It would not be often if at all.

(The odd man out in the playoffs is Diaz who becomes a PH and late inning C for Maldy 3 out of every 4 games.)

Then next year either Dusty retires or they start the whole cycle again. But I am now certain Chas will never be the starting CF for the Astros as long as Dusty is the manager.

Stephen66, Qan, Kim and 2 others like this.
  16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Chas had a couple noodle arm throws in that last series and that's all Dusty remembers about Chas' performance over the past few months.

Htown Stros likes this.
  17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The other option is just making Chas the everyday LF next year. Dusty may finally think he became a "big boy" in year #4 after the year he had in 2023.

Feels like a waste especially if CF continues to revolve between guys like Dubon, Meyers, and prospects but at least he would be starting every day.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

How is Dusty allowed to sabotage Chas like this?

19. Hey Now!

That's never going to happen. Alvarez likes to play in the field. But the idea of Alvarez/Chas splitting LF/DH is viable, at least in theory.

I wonder if they'll bring Brantley back? They paid him a lot of money to not play this year, ala JV in '20/'21 - wonder if he'll give them a discount? And we're all just assuming they'll move on from Maldonado - and I hope they do. But................

20. Hey Now!

I'm really curious how Dana Brown feels? Chas could very well be the offseason power play that reveals who really is in charge. If Chas is back - especially if they don't also bring back Brantley - I would have to guess Brown won. It may be what sends Dusty out the door.

Qan and Tomstro like this.