1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dusty hates Chas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Jun 23, 2023.

1. HeyBudLetsParty

It seems as though the entire fan base has been at a loss for why Chas has played so sparingly the last 3 years while being clearly at least the 3rd most productive full time outfielder. The front office obviously believes in Chas, they’ve shown as much by trading Straw and Siri to open up the playing time. Yet he’s only played in 12 of the last 21 games while having the 3rd highest OPS on the team.

Dusty is stuck in his ways and too stubborn to admit when he’s wrong. It seems as though we will suffer and potentially miss the playoffs or division because of a dinosaur brain playing favorites.

Viol8r, The Beard, Baba Booey and 5 others like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

It would explain a lot, BUT Chandler Rome is also a s*** starter and a conniver, and he has own personal beef with Dusty. So I would not be surprised at all if this is spun a little bit to paint some controversy on Dusty. Chandler is fully aware the fans don't like his lineups and I wouldn't it past him to put out something like this to get clicks. Dusty is set in his ways and he may have weird/dumb reasons to sit Chas so much, but not liking Chas may not be one of them, especially as a manager that is known for being good with players.

Bottom line, I don't trust Chandler Rome for s*** and now that he is at the Athletic he is going to have more pressure to put out popular stories. His job is to cover the Astros, but it's just a job for him I don't think cares at all what team he covers. I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years he puts out a hit piece a la his predecessor Dreillich.

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

This feel like Phil garner disliking Michael bourn all over again.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

He's a **** stain, for sure.

The Drake and Bregatron like this.
  5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

No one believed me when I brought this up last spring training... saying I was just a Dusty hater and Chas's playing time was determined by the front office. I accept apologies here.

Stephen66 and Tomstro like this.
  6. lnchan

Garner disliked Luke Scott even more -- I suspect because Luke Scott had the perfect Boy Scout vibe to him.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. lnchan

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...-isn-t-a-lock-to-start-in-center-17036333.php

Chas McCormick has not separated himself for the Astros’ starting center field job in Meyers’ early-season absence. Manager Dusty Baker’s displeasure with him is becoming more apparent as the season draws closer.

Twice this week, Baker bristled at outside presumptions that McCormick will replace Meyers in April. Both of Baker’s remarks came in response to a question about something other than Houston’s center-field job.

“He hasn’t had a good spring so far,” Baker said of McCormick before Tuesday’s Grapefruit League game against the Nationals.

“Give him the opportunity, giving guys a chance to earn a job. You consider what a guy has done in the past and you also consider what a guy is doing in the present and you sort of combine the two. It depends on what you need today, too.”

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Going back to the first 2 games of this season, that was terrible of Dusty to not start Chas in either of those first 2 games that celebrated the 2022 World Series with the gold trim jerseys. That definitely had the appearance of a personal vendetta against Chas.

9. phasors28

phasors28 Member

If I were another team I’d make an offer for Chas and start him full time. Chas has deserved a chance to play full time somewhere in the league

Stephen66 and rockbox like this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Chas should get a reasonable FA contract, when the time comes.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Rome is a **** starter but this has been obvious to everyone for a while. Especially after Chas got sent down last year for a hot second. Baker doesn't like Chas. Maybe it's partly justified, but not with the disparity in production we have now between him and Julks

Tuckmose, ryan_98, Stephen66 and 3 others like this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This was easily the biggest "this is personal" choice on Chaz that Dusty has made.

Meyers and Corey f**king Julks getting a start before Chaz was inexcusible.

Viol8r, vince, Tuckmose and 9 others like this.
  13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It’s been obvious for a while. Whatever happened between the two happened last year.

I think Chas was pissed about being sent down last year, said so, and has been in Dusty’s doghouse ever since.

Chas would’ve never been given the opportunities Jake was given. Jake has had that extremely long leash, while it seems like Dusty looks for any reason to bench Chas. There has always been an issue there between Dusty and Chas.

Baba Booey, rockbox and Stephen66 like this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I’ve been saying it too bro. Others have said it as well. It’s always been pretty obvious.

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

It was a pretty big slap in the face to not start chas
    Especially after the catch

Baba Booey, mikol13 and Tomstro like this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Until about 8 days ago, Chaz and Meyers were having very similar seasons, and their overall career WAR production per game wasn't a massive difference either, so playing Meyers a lot made sense. He has very similar ability and has fans inside the organization (not just Click). When he was playing poorly early this season he wasn't getting a lot of PA until Chaz got hurt.

But regularly playing Dubon last season and Julks this season over Chaz....it's hard to argue if somebody says this is indeed a personal thing. There's absolutely no valid defense for it.

rockbox, Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Dusty never would’ve babied Chas like he does Jake. If Chas had that setback, he’d still be in the minors. Dusty would run an ice cold jake out there everyday last year for 6 weeks straight. As soon as Chas heats up he gets benched. He gets routinely benched vs lefties, who he mashes. Similar players or not, Chas has been better and especially on the big stage. Dusty seems to root against Chas. That’s ****ing terrible.

everyday eddie and Stephen66 like this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dusty kept Meyers benched for the first 10 days of his career for petty reasons after the team traded Straw, and before Chaz got hurt this season Meyers had only started one game in a week. Once Chaz got hurt and Dubon was at 2B he was forced to start Meyers regularly and he responded to earn regular starts.

I agree Chaz has been f**ked over, but you're directing that at the wrong player. Meyers hasn't been the one blocking him.

#18 sealclubber1016, Jun 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    IBTL and Wulaw Horn like this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Guys, I don't often know things from inside information but I have a little inside information here (which confirms throw away stuff you hear in interviews with other dudes). Dusty doesn't like Chas. Chandler Rome is a douche and a **** stirrer but he's not wrong here. The reasons for Dusty not liking Chas make sense being seen from a certain light but it's not a big enough deal that anyone should get worked up about. Some people just rub other people the wrong way and that's about all there is to it.

IBTL and Joshfast like this.
  20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

actually meyers has been a big reason. McCormick should have been starting the vast majority of games in CF for 2 years now. The everyday meyers experiment last year was a waste, McCormick never would’ve been afforded that same chance to just suck for 6 weeks like Meyers was. You nailed it when you said that Jake has fans in the organization. One of those is Dusty. It’s just obvious that jake is the favorite son. He has been treated like the golden child and Chas like the step kid.

I agree that Dubon and Julks makes even less sense and has also further messed with Chas. I also agree that when those two started eating into McCormick’s playing time along with Meyers, it was instantly obvious that it was/is personal.

conquistador#11 likes this.