1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Durant signs 4-year extension with Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 6, 2021.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Signing a 5 year extension when most of his extensions (if not all not counting his rookie extension) he's signed has been for 2-3 years with options? I think a 3 year extension with a 3rd year PO seemed far more likely than a 5 year one as that has been what he's usually done.

Either way, I'm not talking about how likely it is, although the Rockets clearly were hoping for a Boston-Brooklyn kind of deal, I'm talking about the results of that happening.

Do you think the Rockets blowing up completely didn't raise the value of OKCs pick? It certainly did. Whether they predicted that or not doesn't really change the result of it happening.

The result of him signing for 5 years lowered the value of the pick. It happened. I'm not arguing over how likely it was or the odds of it happening. I'm just saying as a fact the value of the picks are lower now.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

All 3 players have a LOT of mileage. Hoping these picks would better than 20 the next few years was never good. Get back to me when Durant is 36-37 years old.

Plowman likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

he signed for 5 years in OKC after his rookie deal in OKC…left, signed 3 1+1 deals in GS, signed a 4 year deal with BK with a PO after the 3rd year, and now is foregoing the PO to re-up for 4 more years

the only place he signed short contracts was in GS where he was just a mercenary for hire simply going there for rings…he didn’t even have much of a relationship with anyone on the Warriors before signing there…it wasn’t his franchise, and it’s clear his stay there was only going to be temporary, or he wouldn’t have done a 1+1 back in 2016 when 1st signing there…that is not what he did when signing with BK, and he now has his own franchise with BFF Kyrie and long-time friend Harden that is poised to contend for years with him being the undisputed leader, so people thinking he was just gonna up and leave was nothing more than wishful thinking

Rockets were hoping, but that doesn’t mean it was ever likely to happen…there was never any indication that what happened today wasn’t gonna happen, so AFAIC, nothing has changed with regards to these picks, today just happened to be the day that the inevitable officially happened

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I guess today is the day the BK picks are viewed as what they always should’ve been for those who thought BK was gonna implode this year or the next and all 3 would just bounce

a KD extension was always gonna happen, especially with the season they just had

a few even tried to convince themselves of Harden coming back here soon

xaos likes this.
  5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Unless Silicon Valley comes up with their most sought after breakthrough, they can sign all the extensions they want. Until that day, Father Time remains the all time champ.

upload_2021-8-6_16-17-58.jpeg

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

does it? I mean elite guys with basketball skills and high iq like cp3 and bron are out here making all nba and all star at 36 years old. Context matters. non elite guys windows are much smaller, especially if they rely on athleticism. None of those guys do on the Nets who are 29,31,32. People hoping for some fall off the cliff are kidding themselves anytime soon

Reeko likes this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You still aren't right or wrong so stop pretending you told us so. Unless you are a fortune teller, we don't know.

8. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

There is still the possibility that Harden's conditioning catches up to him and he begins to break down. Couple that with Kyrie being batshit crazy and they could still implode.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not really talking about how likely it was though. Him doing it deleted any hope of them blowing up for the time being and thus it lost value.

The value is determined of course from other teams that each have their own intel and opinions on how likely or hopeful they were about BKN blowing up, now though, with him signing, there's no more room for even hope because the thing happened. That did change, because a week ago he didn't make the commitment and today he did and now every other team sees he did so now there isn't even room for speculation that it might or might not happen. So now the picks lost value.

Even now you see people hoping for injuries basically because thats the only way the picks can gain value .

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Kobe was putting up 27, 6, 6 at age 34…only thing that stopped him was his Achilles after MDA ran him into the ground

as they get older, I see them just coasting more and more in the regular season and then turning it up in the postseason like a better version of the Boston Big 3

11. HP3

HP3 Member

The process matters more than the results to me. I wont tell you I told you so no matter what happens from here on, but right now I am gonna say it was a bad bet to make imo.

#51 HP3, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

We control their draft picks for 7 years, the Warriors did not last 7 years, Lakers did not last 7 years, Boston did not last 7 years, Miami did not last 7 years. Calm down and let’s see what will happen.

At least we avoided Ben Simmons, that’s a win for me.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Idk why people had that hope, especially after the season they had and the way KD had been talking in the offseason…it was just wishful thinking

KD signed a 4 year deal initially with BK, so it was clear this wasn’t gonna be the same as GS where he’s noncommittal

those are probably the same people who thought there would be no chemistry between the Big 3, Kyrie would go crazy, and the Nets would implode

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s 6 years, not 7

KD will be under contract for all but the final year

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

sirjesse likes this.
  16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

A lot can happen between now and 2027, just calm down.

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't think it would have been wise to believe anything coming from Durant or any players. Players say whatever they want. One moment they are praising loyalty and how they will retire with X team then the next year they are scheming their way off the team. Not that it's their fault, teams are not loyal either...but KDs words don't mean much when he already proved he's willing to go mercenary for a title. I just ignore players when they talk about it, they just say what they know people want to hear.

And also...Kyrie did go crazy? I mean, there was that whole thing of him not showing up to the team and didn't tell the coach about it, just decided he'd miss like 10 games and no one knew why?

I mean like most of everyone's take today has been that the Rockets pick lost value today. Not based on likelihood of Durant re-signing for 4 years but based on it happening, as long as it didn't happen the picks still had some mystery value but now they do not...

Now that could change year to year sure based on whatever, lots can happen year to year, but today they definitely lost value.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

so this is where it ends for the role player journeyman. from seattle, okc, oakland, and now brooklyn.

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

For the people that say our picks lost value today, these years on the his contract mean nothing. Did having James for three more years on his contract prevent him from leaving us? In the new NBA, having a player "locked up" is a fallacy.

Sluball3 and Salvy like this.
  20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

"The Cheat Code" would have been a great altor ego for him. Only a handful called him that but never went viral as an official nick.