1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Durant signs 4-year extension with Nets

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Aug 6, 2021.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I mean, all of us were hoping for the Doom & Gloom scenario to play out and the Nets to completely crater, but this was always the most likely outcome. Just because KD signed an extension (and newsflash, so will Harden) doesn't mean their window has opened any wider. They still have 2 (maybe 3 years) to win, and after that, the wheels are going to come off. KD (and Harden) securing their bags in Brooklyn doesn't really impact the long-term outlook of the Rockets draft picks.

Patience, Jayzers_100 and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden, KD, and Kyrie will age like fine wine…if the injuries pile up as they age, it still doesn’t take much to be a playoff team in the East and make those picks non-lottery

clos4life, HP3, YOLO and 1 other person like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

The wheels don't fall off that fast to where the nets just become one of the worst teams in the league. They'll still be a playoff team after 2-3 years. But their time to actually win the entire thing obviously it's the next couple years. But still being a playoff team which we all know isn't hard in the East, after that doesn't help hou at all

HP3 and JayGoogle like this.
  4. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Need to tank next 2 years. Hopefully the Nets big 3 leaves after they win a ring or 2.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it doesnt mater where you pick, what matters is who you pick

stone can find loterry talent picking in the teens and 20s

Jayzers_100 and vince like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The thing is even at a medium level the picks are still not lottery level. Like old Durant, Kyire, and Harden probably still good for like 6th in the East.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

Nets: *gives contract*
    KD:
    [​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty easy to see how they lost value.

If Durant said he was leaving then the picks gain value, if he says he's staying they lose value.

Clearly the Rockets thought there was a chance the best case scenario would happen as the Boston trade was referenced when making this trade. The best case scenario of the team completely blowing up isn't happening now.

So yes, they definitely lost some value since that scenario doesn't look to be happening.

9. csc177

csc177 Member

Welp….better keep drafting well - I think those picks get packaged for a trade before they convey or we actually use them to draft someone.

juanm34 likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But it's not really about their championship window. They could tank the value of our picks just by being a good competitive team. The best case scenario of them blowing up is what would make the trade for us basically mana from heaven.

Instead of a bunch of lottery picks is now a bunch of 25-30 picks, no different really from an early 2nd rounder. As of right now these picks are trade fodder, nice throw ins to sweeten a deal.

blahblehblah and J.R. like this.
  11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Kyrie is going to be the wildcard. He can just renegade and ruin/make things awkward.

BUT Harden and KD might be enough, especially if they can attractive bets on cheap deals.

tbh Rockets tanking the next 2 years might be the best course of action unless Jalen Green really is the 2nd coming of Kobe lol

12. vince

vince Member

Well I was always expecting this. Though, Durant is not the most durable player. But, Where was Durant going to go? He went from OKC to Golden state, now the Nets after the Knicks got cold feet because of the injury— Durant re signing with Nets was class by him. I like his style of play…

I don’t expect Kylie to sign up, but time will tell.

As per Harden, he has a lot of mileage, he carried the Rockets for 8 years straight, and stayed relatively healthy for the entire time. So I’d expect Harden re-ups with his pal Durant. But this past year, his body uncharacteristically broke down via injury….

So the race for the Nets is to stay healthy….

The real value for the Harden trade is that the Rockets got Green in what many are saying is the best draft at the top and overall since 2003…. It sped up the rebuilding to a year that experts predict will have genuine Franchise defining superstars. I’d rather have a #3 pick in a generational draft than a #1 pick in a weak ordinary draft year..

But if the Nets don’t win titles within 2 seasons, that team will be blown up in a jiffy. Draft picks still have value.

Patience likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

How after this season and the way he was talking this offseason was KD saying he’s leaving anything close to a realistic option? It wasn’t

the Nets imploding this year or the next and getting completely blown up was nothing more than wishful thinking

if u somehow thought KD wasn’t gonna sign an extension, then sure, the picks lost some value today, but him signing one was always the likely scenario so nothing has really changed with regards to those picks

Jayzers_100 and hakeem94 like this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

Cannot lie I’m chuckling inside at the negativity and sky is falling tweets and posts. This was always going to happen.

15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Hopefully they sit regular season games and only play big minutes during playoffs. The more they play the more risk they take on.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Even if all three of them decided they want to leave, they are going to get value back for Irving, Durant or Harden. I kept saying this Harden trade was trash and everyone kept putting their heads in the sand.

Little Bit likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You're talking about the likelihood of a thing happening and I'm talking about the results of the thing happening.

KD signing a 5 year extension lowers the value of the picks. Had he instead not signed one then he clearly would have been sending a sign that he was open to leaving, him signing it means he's not at all open to leaving, especially since he usually signs short term deals.

For example, if at the end of the year he says he wants to be traded and Harden and Kyrie also planned on leaving, the value of the picks skyrocket. Do you disagree with that?

You're talking about how likely a thing might or might not happen but I doubt the Rockets brass when making this trade expected Durant to sign a 5 year extension. They made a gamble, even if the odds were low it's still a gamble.

blahblehblah likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

the best thing by far with the trade was it allowing us to be bad enough to keep our pick…these BK picks were always just ancillary pieces to me

HP3 likes this.
  19. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Kyrie might be the only one with a chance to bolt. Harden will sign when his time comes. This is bad news. I don’t want to wish injuries on anyone but that’s the only path forward for those picks having any value now.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

the result that just happened today of him signing an extension was always the likely event by far, so I really don’t get all the sky is falling posts…KD signing an extension should’ve been factored into how the BK picks are viewed long ago

people are acting like they really didn’t see this coming

he literally said this last week