1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Durant/Barkley analogy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Why do we care what team KD goes to? Are we mad that he left OKC or that he left OKC to go to Golden State? Or are we mad because we think our favorite team's hopes were just dashed? Which one is it?

Face it, this isn't even as bad as Lebron's (and we got over that one eventually). He never promised or gave the impression that he was going to be staying in OKC. He is not from OKC. He was open about exploring other teams and he even told us what teams he was exploring. Golden State was always one of those teams. No one batted an eye when the list came out; now everyone's getting an ulcer and burning jerseys? Idiotic. The warriors play team ball and look like they are having fun. And they win. A lot. Who wouldn't want to play with them?

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lol. He was past his prime by then

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers, the keepers of real history!

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Jordan got eliminated by the Magic

This piece of history is buried next to Jimmy Hoffa

5. Remlap

Remlap Member

Good points -

Barkley didn't just 'jump on the bandwagon' as a FA
    We made a trade to acquire him

Also true, we weren't a 'cream of the crop' team at the time
    Nothing like running to the 'Glory Team' to collect a ring

Now Ray Allen wants on board?
    David West signed for peanuts.
    I'm guessing Karl Malone will be showing up soon. . .

6. conquistador#11

lol reading the original post again I found how they (the western media) still throw shade at us, knowingly or unknowingly.

Just that line should make you hate the writer...
    "The Rockets, IN THE ABSENCE OF MICHAEL JORDAN, had a superteam"

Not Houston's fault Michael wanted to reenact Field Of Dreams.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Charles Barkley: &quot;I got traded to Houston..I never asked to go to Houston..I never chased a ring.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/li5UIp2A2v">https://t.co/li5UIp2A2v</a></p>&mdash; Diamond Leung (@diamond83) <a href="https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/750814530461020160">July 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

so far from the same thing....

This is more like Barkley leaving the suns in 94 to join Houston, if houston had won 70 games that season, a championship the year before, and lost game 7 vs knicks, after having a 3-1 lead, Horry getting suspended in a close out game, and Ewing and Starks going into god mode in game 7's final minutes.

9. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

As discussed in greater detail in my post here (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=276027&page=51):

Durant may have wanted to leave OKC bc of the city or Westbrook or both. Why should anyone have a problem with that. Complete bull rap to condemn him for wanting to leave.

So then where should he go? If his final choice was based on style of play, quality of team and choice of city/lifestyle, where else should he have gone? In many respects, GWS was the clear choice for all those reasons.

If people want to say this impacts his status in the discussion of all time greats, fine. That's fair.

But there is no intellectual honesty or reason in criticizing his choice to go to GSW ... Great city, best style of play, best team. It was the rational choice.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Kellerman is a boxing guy.

Lots of things wrong with what he said.

#1, Jordan was there in 95
    #2, Jordan was there when we got Barkley!

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

But he wasn't wearing #23 so it doesn't count. I mean he came into the season late, so the 30+ppg he averaged in the playoffs in 95 didn't matter.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

How many star players even had the opportunity to join a better team, while still making star money? I just don't think this situation has had the possibility to occur enough over NBA history that we can say players tend to stay or go. I mean, it's LeBron, Dwight, Melo, and KD off the top of my head. The only times players didn't chose the money was either about lifestyle (LA or NY or going home) or winning.

Edit: Ok, now I remember Duncan stayed in SA when he could have gone to Orlando, but the Spurs were champs. Grant Hill and T-Mac went to Orlando. No social media back then = less heat for those decisions.

#32 Kim, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

I wonder if you polled the average NBA Fan, True or False, Jordan played in 1995, the majority would answer false.

This is one of the best examples of the media forcing people to believe a lie by constantly ignoring this fact

14. dream2franchise

It's still out there. People change history to suit their arguments.

'It doesn't count'.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">*there was that one year he came back late and played in the playoffs but I think it's fair to say that one doesn't count</p>&mdash; Chris Towers (@CTowersCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/CTowersCBS/status/750198722227638272">July 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think it was the 2004 Lakers, then the Boston three party after that right?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Rudy T talked about "NON BELIEVERS"

We will fight them til the end of days

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Shaq did this before Lebron and Durant when he signed with the Lakers who had Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Cedric Ceballos, Robert Horry and a young Kobe Bryant. Not sure if Byron Scott, James Worthy and Magic were still on team or left shortly before/after.

Pippen did this when he signed with Rockets to play with aging but not completely past their prime Hakeem, Clyde and Barkley.

18. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

This! And people call it themselves Rocket fans in this board.:rolleyes:;):cool::mad::eek::p:grin:

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, Barkley was passed his prime by then... He also used Jordan/Thomas as the analogy. Haha, he's not a role model, remember???

And Houston was far from a super team, Houston got swept by the Sonics in 96 with all of us holding the "we believe" signs or whatever it was that year and then he joined by crazy trade. ****ing SportsNation/espn/max can never remember the time lines.... In 96 Jordan was 72-10 (and Jordan played in 95, from ~March on iirc).

A better example is if Barkley in his prime teamed up with Jordan and Pippen... Now that would be interesting. Players back then hated each other or really enjoyed competition. Now everyone is connected 24/7 and love each other's posts on IG/Twitter etc... Oh soon everyone will get a trophy in the NBA too (all the same size). Everyone's a MVP!! Okay maybe it's not that bad yet.... But, hahha

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Side fact... He did start wearing #23 in the playoffs and was getting fined each game for doing so. http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/12/s...st-of-jordan-switch-is-25000-and-on-rise.html little extra piece of history to prove he was the "real" Jordan and not the #45, Lololol, ****ing stupid media.