1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dunleavy, Jr. -- 32 points, 11 rebounds in win over 76ers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swopa, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

The "next Danny Ferry," my dog's butt. :cool:

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I know I was shocked. But will it last. He can't be this good. Can he?

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i was noticing that he played good in preseason. i do not think dunleavy will be that good. but iMHO he will be a player like Mike Miller

4. foodworld

foodworld Member

...or a better KVH...

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

no it wont last seeing as how JRich, NVE, and Troy Murphy didn't suit up that game.

Dunleavy will be much better than Ferry, but he wont be anything more than a very good roleplayer ala Brent barry imo(sorry to contribute to the white player comparisons in this thread, but that's who I thought he compared favorably to since he was a rook last year).

6. pchan

pchan Member

Man, I played nene.. baker.. and lafrentz instead of jr.. cuz I though I needed the rebounding, he ends up rebounding better than any of my so called big guy
    I hope he keeps this up, I am a big fan of dunleavy for now.

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Dunleavy realized he needed to get stronger to succeed in the NBA, so this offseason he hit the weights. Next offseason he will improve another part of his game (rebounding? defense?)

Dunleavy is already way better than Mike Miller. Miller is a playground style player who likes to run and gun. Get Miller in a slow down playoff style game and he dissappears.

Dunleavy's father is a coach and former NBA player, so he has been drilled all his life on the mental side of basketball. The sky is the limit for him, last night was just the beginning. This guy has MAJOR skills, athletic and mental.

8. spaceboy

spaceboy Member

Every dog has it's day. :p

just kidding, I'm not suprised at all. Always thought Dunleavy Jr. will turn out to be a great player. and now with Jamison gone, I think he will really start to shine.

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

SUCKS FOR BULLS FANS :D

10. tozai

tozai Member

I would say it's a stretch to say Dunleavy is already way better than Miller. They're comparable right now. We'll see in time how good he really is.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Didn't realize Mike Miller was a "player"...

I just wish we could've gotten his dad to coach us.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Okay, so my question is, does this in any way validate the Jameson trade?

13. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Not surprising, I predicted him to win most improved player a few weeks ago. He has skills to be a star in this league its just a matter of time until he gets used to the pro game.

14. tozai

tozai Member

I think that was basically the front office trying to clear up cap space since they were going to suck anyways. Poor fans.

15. Swopa

Really, tozai? I thought that's why the Rockets coughed up draft picks to unload Glen Rice, and didn't pick up Griffin's option. :p

I said back when the Jamison deal was made that they were doing it to clear a starting spot for Dunleavy. If you have two capable SFs and have just lost your starting PG to free agency, it's common sense to trade one of the SFs to upgrade the PG position.

16. tozai

tozai Member

LMAO...

Positive spin is necessary up there I guess.

Different circumstances, but I don't feel like going further right now.

17. Swopa

Don't worry, tozai, I was just joking on that first part. I'm serious about the second paragraph, though, and here's where I said it in August.

Dunleavy does have further to go in getting stronger, though. He's clearly playing on fumes tonight (scoreless after 1 half). :(

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

He reminds me alot of Brian Urlacher.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, let's trade for him with Mobley. ;)

20. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Dunleavy's lead game featured from this thread is sandwiched between 6-18 & 4-18 performances.

And this just in both Mike Miller and KVH (who had 29 & 8 earlier this year) had plenty of 1 hit games mixed in with multiple bad ones.

In other words, let not get carried away. Dunleavy may more may not be better than Miller (who is also 23 years old BTW) or KVH, but he sure was a terrible 3rd pick for the draft he was in. 11th pick, 12th pick? that would have been fine, but ahead of Butler, Nene, Stoudamire, Gooden, etc, crazy!