1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dunc'd On Podcast Discussing Rockets Free Agent Signings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HamJam, Jul 3, 2016.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Here's the link: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/242625/Duncd-On-Full-July-2nd-Analysis-Cap-Space-For-All-30-Teams

It starts at just a few seconds before the 36 minute marker.

Long story short, they hate on these signings very hard -- but, it is worth a listen to get some very informed non-Rocket fan perspective on the signings and the state of the Rockets franchise.

They talk about Alexander as a driving force in these decisions in their opinion, and predict that Morey will be fired within a couple years and that Harden will probably be gone around that time as well.

Here's hoping they're wrong -- but, honestly, I think they hit the nail on the head.

1 person likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Those guys are really good and had the exact same thoughts about the deals as anyone else with some common sense could have sadly. When I saw the Ryno deal my 1st thought was oh god time to get the Kings treatment from Nate and Danny (well earned treatment)

1 person likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

IIRC, the two podcasters are both Pelicans fans. So, I can see why they don't think very highly of two guys from last season's rather disappointing Pelicans crew.

They probably have a point about them. But hopefully a different team and a different coach can produce better results.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Everyone seems to hate everything the Rockets do, so whatever.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Where did you get they are pels fans? They are in the bay, warriors

6. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

For good reason. Rockets are the most embarrassing team in the league

7. chandlerbang21

Stop being sensitive. They were desperation signings we all know it. Those players chose houston for the cash grab and the teams needs still have not been met

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Predictions and assumptions are a dime a dozen!... :eek:

IF...IF...IF Harden ever embraces the importance of being a TRUE leader and gets serious about playing defense regardless of D'Antoni's overall focus on offense,
    (IMHO) this team will be a lot better than how it's being PORTRAYED!

GO ROCKETS!!!

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Duncan is a Bulls fan.

I do suspect morey is losing power. I wonder if Ryan Anderson was someone dantoni wanted and he went over moreys head to get approval

10. Raven

Raven Member

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Nothing the Rockets have done, since the season ended, fits Morey's MO.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Meh, I don't really put stock on anyone that "hates" the rocket signings. I mean how could you hate the deals Gordon and Ryan Anderson got when other players are signing for even more ridiculous deals? If he considers Anderson at 20 and Gordon at 11 to be bad enough to hate what about Conley at 30 for 5 years or Parsons at 24M or Evan Turner at 17.5M? I mean Bazemore signed for 17.5M and that was at a 500k discount lol so you're gonna ignore these other crazy signings and hate the Rox' relatively more minor deals? I don't think any team that has money to burn was able to sign a good contract, the inflation was just too high even when you're talking about the very best players like Horford he still signed for 30M so it's not like you're getting a sweet deal like before. Sure Ryan Anderson might have some injury issues but then again compare his health record to someone like Parsons and Parsons' is actually worse, yet these guys ignore the Parsons signing for more money and just hate on Ryan Anderson? Conley's even missed some games last year but he'll be making 30M till he's like 32 or whatever.

I don't even think Gordon's new contract is bad in the old cap, 11M for a healthy Ben Gordon is still decent and that was when the old max is 15M, not 30M. So in short I think anyone who hates the Rox signings is just being overly dramatic because there are other more disastrous deals out there.

That's not to say Morey's not been losing power, it should be pretty obvious given that the owner is starstruck with MDA since the PHX days and wants a high tempo team, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Anderson is an MDA hiring because damn that contract is really underwhelming and the Rox jumping the gun on FAs instead of waiting till KD signs with another team is so unlike the old Rockets. MDA has shown in his previous stints in LA and NYK he also wants executive control so he probably wants Morey pushed out at this point and hire somebody who would be beholden to him as GM. And to be honest I'm not that positive about the Rox chances if that happens MDA is too focused on the offensive side and getting core players and playing them tons of mins, PHX didn't have one good rookie in the 7secs or less era in fact they were notorious for selling picks away who became really good players like Deng, Rondo and Nate Robinson. We'll see but the doomsday scenario they're saying is definitely something I see happening the next couple of years. Well by the time that happens at least Rox will finally get the rebuilding all the fans want whether the owner likes it or not.

I'm sure Morey would get out unscathed though what he did in Houston the past couple of years when he had complete control is gonna be enough to secure a new job somewhere else.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If the Rockets have another season when people feel they underachieve I could see Morey being the fall guy at the end of the season. He is closer to being fired than he has been since he took over as GM.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why are you commenting if you didn't even listen to the podcast? They did trash many other signings......especially turner

1 person likes this.
  14. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

these guys know the league inside and out, their work is good. I have very low hopes for this rockets team, but we will see

15. Mr. Clutch

Duncan makes good points.

We aren't gonna be able to improve the team much the next two years, then Harden is a free agent.

This is pretty much it.

Also, the defense got a lot worse.

16. PeppermintCandy

It's now a game of waiting in the bushes and waiting for a team to sour with their latest toys and look to swap before the trade deadline. This is something Morey has been pretty good at IMO, but the new cap and contract sizes may tie his hands a bit this time.

17. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

gordon's never been healthy, not since his rookie year, it's not happening.

18. Mr. Clutch

Swap who? We don't have any prime assets

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great listen - they hit it. So sad, but true.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love being hated after signing free agents. Means we might be better. When we got Lawson people loved it. When we got Harden people thought we overpaid, when we got Ariza they thought he sucked.