1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duncan/Manu/Pop retire: How good will the spurs be?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LelWestbrick, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Parker isn't going to retire. He's...31? 32? Still has at least 6-7 more productive years in him.

SA still has a promising future. even if Pop won't be there to coach. Green is a great defender and 3 point shooter, Leonard is developing nicely, and Tony Parker will be a bit older, but still good.

I mean, imagine if they tank to get a high pick for the 2014 draft, and also have money to sign 1-2 stars/superstars? They'd still be one of the best teams in the WC.

2. rocketman4325

rocketman4325 Member

Thats how they got TD

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

yeah you forget the coach that made TD will be gone too.

If they go for a young coach they might change their line of philosophy

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Parker is more like 2 years of allstar level.... 3-5 years of role player standard

5. verysimplejason

Knowing Spurs, they will just replace everybody slowly with players drafted in late first-round and second-rounders and everybody will be surprised at their performance once again. Pop won't retire that fast. Maybe he'll be GM once again. As for the system, it's there to stay. Pop will just be simply replaced by a younger Pop version. Duncan may not be entirely replaced. Manu will just be replaced with a younger Manu (Kawhi?) and Parker will just continue until he retires and be replaced again by a younger Parker version. Spurs system is too well established now that even if some things change (run more, shoot more, post more), the basics (team vs I and DEFENSE) will still be the same.

6. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

5th-8th seed? You are crazy. Tony parker would immediately ask/demand a trade. He would know that he couldnt win with that team. Even with parker they would be lucky to win 30 games.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Reloading around just Parker, I think they'd be a bubble team. Even with someone average replacing Pop, I think it'll take a couple of years for the institutional structures to fade, so they'll still be an effective front office. So, I think they'd continue to be respectable. But, I don't think they'd keep Parker.

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

They'll end up with Durant, drafting Wiggins and picking up a serviceable big that nobody has heard of but becomes is all-star calibre.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

30 games? How did Houston win 45 then?
    Parker, Kawhi, Splitter, a bunch of role players and enough cap space to sign a max player and then some. That wouldn't be a 30 wins team while Parker is good.

10. dragician

dragician Member

as long as he can open his eyes wide, he's good to play.

[​IMG]

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Hodor?

12. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

If Pop retires then not very good but if they are anything like tonight without Duncan, Gino, and Parker not playing well then they will still be pretty good.

13. OTMax

OTMax Member

For the Rockets sake: I hope they will become insignificant at least for a few years, but they will probably never really drop off and stay good. Check out NBA.com, they have a clip of David Robinson talking about Timmy as a rookie scoring on him left and right. That's unbelievable, David had only been in the league for 8 years and yes he wasn't the same after the injury but still, pretty telling. On a side note: isn't David Robinson the most likeable All-Star in NBA history?? The guy won my heart and made me respect the Spurs in a big way and I know that's different for Houstonians because of the rivalry, but on and off the court, there was no selfishness, ego issues and very little, if at all, disrespect towards opponents. I'm glad he won those rings and MVP, he played like it and was all grace. I think he might be even more humble than Dream.

14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Parker
    Green
    Leonard
    Free Agent
    Splitter

Still a pretty solid team chasing an 7-8 seed

They'd have a lot of cap space

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I hope when they retire they will be a cellar dweller for many years to come. They got incredibly lucky with Duncan and now its time for them to experience the lean years. I wish the same fate on Dallas, but with Dallas being a larger market city and Cuban's revenues, they will always be in play for big time FAs.

Looking forward to the Rockets rising and Spurs/Mavs falling.

1 person likes this.
  16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm sure they weren't planning on retiring this year. i think i heard 2 more years, but going out on top seems like a possibility for pop TD and manu. they might've been able to field a playoff team with parker, green, leonard, splitter and cap space, but losing budenholzer to the hawks means they will have a completely new system to get adjusted to as well.

they'd never trade parker after 4 championships, so i don't think they will be a bottom dweller either. probably bubble team for 3-4 years while green and leonard get better and parker gets worse. after parker retires they can blow it all up and tank.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah apparently all the spurs personnel are actually juet manufactured clones because they can getyounger versions of the goat pf, manu, parker and pop whenever they want according to you :rolleyes:

Newsflash, the spurs system is made by pops, td, manu and parker. You cant just replace them with anyone off the streets since those 4 are locks for the HOF. As you already said the system they have is basic, if everyone is so replaceable how come no other team has had as much success as the spurs?

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Terrible. Coaches don't make great players. That has never happened in the history of the NBA. It's the other way around - Pop would be an afterthought had he never been lucky enough to land Duncan. The guy is 1st team all-NBA at 37. Good lord.

19. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

My guess is SA will fall off and Dallas will take their spot with Cuban buying his way to the top.

20. Seth

Seth Member

Ginobili and Duncan won´t retire, they will stay for at least a year.
    After that anything can happen. As good as that organization is, they got lucky with Duncan, Ginobili and Pop. Not all of your bets are going to pay that high everytime.
    Anyway i don´t see them at the bottom unless they wantedto.