1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Duncan better than Hakeem?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tecohorn, Jun 19, 2007.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

horry has said that dream is the best big man he's ever played with or something along those lines. no link, though i'm sure there was a thread on it back when. it doesn't matter though, it's should be a no brainer that dream is superior.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

Anybody who actually watched both players could not possibly come to that conclusion :confused: . Even a Spurs fan. Dream is so far above TD it is not even funny! :eek:

3. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

for PF position, yes, Duncan is the most reliable PF and plays like PF.

PF don't fade away, they attach the basket.

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

I agree...TD is nowhere near the caliber of player the dream was..hakeem dominated the floor when he played and commanded his game perfectly...just ask david robinson...hakeem is and should ranked way ahead of TD no disrespect to him as he is a great player himself, but hakeem is far better than td

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Just to defend Timmy for a quick second, he's been snubbed many times in DPOY. This year was even more far-fetched when Marcus Camby won the award. The media has gotten more stupid as the years go by. It's amazing that Timmy doesn't own a DPOY because he truly deserves one.

I don't understand the obsession with Camby in this basketball world. The guy gambles a lot and many times it costs it's team the points. The defense doesn't revolve around him. He is slow, and sucks at defending man to man and his post offense has to be the weakest I have ever seen for a DPOY.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i said hakeem is the better when both are at their best. but maybe i was blinded by hakeem's last 5-6 yrs. i didn't mean to offend anyone. i truly think he's the best 2-way player for a big man to ever play the game.

7. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

but let's be real, ppl rank players primarily by rankings nowadays when they're fairly close to each other.

even in orlando when tmac was just as good as kobe (if not better), the rings put kobe ahead. the same w/ wade.

duncan has more rings so the "casual" fan would say duncan will be better b/c he wins more.

8. awo86

awo86 Rookie

guys...non of this crap in garm...this doesn't relate to our current rockets squad at all.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We are talking about Hakeem the guy who is in our hearts forever. The guy that brought us too championships. We will always talk about Hakeem anywheres in this forum.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Peak Dream could dominate a game like few other players. Dream did take awhile to develop his *team* game, passing out of the double team instead of forcing the shot. His FT% in his first several year were Shaq-esque.

Peak Duncan is not as good as peak Dream, but his team game was highly developed since his first season.

11. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

IF DREAM WAS ON THIS SPURS TEAM THEY WOULD HAVE WON 6 rings by now

With the way Dream played .. he could have dominated on BOTH ends on this Spurs team!

12. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

he didn't have an NBA career comparable to his international career.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

duncan is simply not better than hakeem.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I would have loved to see Duncan's Spurs go against that '86 Celtics team that beat us in the Finals.

....that is, if they could have beaten the Lakers in the WC Finals first (doubtful)

16. hooi

hooi Contributing Member

Well, let's not forget, for a good half of his career, Hakeem was known as the "Black Hole". Houston only started to win championships when Hakeem was convinced to trust his teammates and pass the ball.

Tim Duncan never had this problem...which resulted in more rings for TD.

So I'd say on an individual ability basis, Hakeem is better. But the overall package of winning, TD is better. Just when was the last time the Spurs had a bad season, defined as less than 50 wins?

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sabonis was over the hill by the time he made it to the NBA. They're only looking at NBA careers.

18. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Guys....get a rope.

I'm sorry you didn't have a chance to see Hakeem play. Because if you did, you wouldn't have written that.

19. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

Since they both dominated games the same way it's hard to say he's far better. With that being said Hakeem's 2 yr run fails to measure up to TD's 9 yr run.. so any objective person could easily select TD over Hakeem..

20. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

So is the for Hakeem's 2 yr dominance? Those 2 yrs his performance proved he was better than TD? If you didn't watch him play? At what point in his career? He was very raw player when he came into the league and won championships when he was 34 and 35.. to me that indicates a time frame of 10 or so years where he evolved..TD has dominated since day 1...