1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dun Dun...Dun Dun...Dun Dun Dun..Dunnnnn! Bam! Another Melo thread!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ApacheWarrior, Oct 1, 2018.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Just when you thought it was safe to dive into Clutchfans again.....another Melo thread emerges from the depths of the darkness. The night before the first pre season game none the less. With the help of stats provided by basketball-reference.com, 82games.com, stats/nba.com and some links to you tube videos (I don’t have gif privileges....sorry), I would like to point out some skills and favorable tendencies that Melo offers the Rockets;
    which could in fact make the Rockets a very formidable force.

Where is Carmelo best at (Play-Type)? Plays Rockets could take advantage of (by stats/nba.com)
    https://stats.nba.com/players/ball-handler/#!?sort=PossG&dir=1
    Pick-n-Roll (Roll-Man)

Year...............freq....................ppp..................NBA percentile.........page found
    17/18.............6.9%..................0.84..........................10.1.......................pg 6
    16/17.............2.5%..................0.90..........................27.1.......................pg 4
    15/16.............1.7%..................0.97..........................42.5.......................pg 6
    Pick-n-Roll (Ball Handler)
    Year................freq...................ppp..................NBA percentile.........page found
    17/18.............10.9%................0.86...........................64.3.......................pg 3
    16/17.............16.8%................0.80...........................57.6.......................pg 2
    15/16.............13.1%................0.80...........................57.2.......................pg 2
    Isolations
    Year................freq....................ppp...................NBA percentile.........page found
    17/18..............18.1%................0.89...........................58.2.......................pg 6
    16/17..............23.1%................0.99...........................78.3.......................pg 8
    15/16..............23.7%................0.95...........................80.4.......................pg 6

Where as PnR with Melo might promote a mid-range shot, isolation plays fits in well with the Rockets scheme.
    It’s possible Melo could do well with the Rockets perimeter shooting providing space. Yet to be determined.

Post Ups
    Year.................freq......................ppp....................NBA percentile.........page found
    17/18..............14.4%..................0.84...........................42.6%...................pg 5
    16/17..............16.7%..................0.92...........................62.6%...................pg 1

Last season 17/18 rankings in post up plays by teams.
    7th......Boston......8.4% freq
    11th....Cavs.........7.2% freq
    14th....Thunder.....6.4% freq
    17th....Warriors.....6.1% freq
    28th.....Houston....2.4% freq...Rockets could benefit from some Melo post ups vs mismatches. See video below.

Areas Melo shoots from......(from shot charts and basketball-reference.com
    Melo has done well from the right corner 3’s (small sample sizes).
    16/17 (Knicks): 50% on 0.2 of 0.3 (3PA’s)/ game. (78 games)
    17/18 (OKC): 40% on 0.2 of 0.3 (3PA’s)/ game. (74 games)

Melo stats from left corner 3’s are not good; also small sample size.
    Consistent 0.1 of 0.3 attempts per game year to year.

Carmelo mostly shoots 3’s from Above the Break
    16/17 (Knicks): 35.7% at 1.8 of 5.0 (3PA’s)/ game. (78 games).
    17/18 (OKC): 35.8% at 1.9 of 5.4 (3PA’s) / game. (74 games).
    I believe 36% from 3 is still average from 3-pt territory from NBA players. Correct me if I’m wrong.

The dreaded mid-range shot.
    17/18 (OKC): 39.3% on 2.3 of 5.9 (mid-range attempts) per game. (74 games).
    16/17 (Knicks): 45.4% on a whopping 4.1 out of 9.0 (mid-range attempts) per game. (78 games).
    CP3 sported a 41% freq mid-range shots while with the Clippers in 16/17, to 23% freq from mid-range last yr.
    Please Lord, let Melo shoot closer to 16/17 if he continues to shoot from mid-range.........percentage that is.

Catch and Shoot 3’s
    Carmelo in (17/18) shot 1.12 pps and 1.27 pps on wide open 3’s.

ITP (Inside The Paint) and RA (Restricted Area) are noted to be poor and few attempts the past two seasons.
    Perhaps the Rockets could provide enough spacing for Carmelo to be more productive.

But ApacheWarrior, Melo plays no defense! from 82games.com
    17/18 (OKC) Melo:.................................On......./..........Off..................Net
    Offense: pts per 100 possessions: ......114.8..../..........107.9..............+6.9
    Defense: pts per 100 possessions:......109.3.../...........107.6..............+1.7
    which means the good Thunder defense last season only gave up 2 less points (1.7 pts) on the average
    per 100 possessions defensively while Melo sat.
    http://www.82games.com/1718/17OKC13.HTM

DWS in 17/18. basketball-reference.com
    Harden................3.8 DWS
    Steph Curry.........1.8 DWS
    Melo....................2.5 DWS

17/18 Players-Tracking-Defensive-Impact by stat/NBA.com
    Player...........DFGM.........DFGA...........DFG%
    Harden...........2.1...............3.1...............69.5%
    CP3................2.3...............3.2...............71.6%
    Melo...............2.3...............3.2...............72.6%
    Steph Curry....1.4...............1.8................78.3%.......Warriors go out of their way and beyond to hide Curry.

Defense from Areas (17/18)
    Demarcus Cousins allowed opponents to shoot 59.8% from less than 5 feet.
    Melo allowed opponents to shoot 54.1% from less than 5 feet.

Let’s get to some videos.
    “Steph Curry Full Defensive Play 2018 WCF Game 1...” (7:04)

Rockets force Curry mismatch entire game but slow to attack the Warriors.

In the second video the Rockets attacked sooner.
    “The Rockets Did (Almost) Nothing Different in Game 2.” (7:29)

(1:07) KD gets around screen quickly, so Rockets merely reset screen to get Harden vs Curry mismatch.
    (1:25) Curry on Gerald Green, screen set but Curry avoids mismatch by running to CP3 who is in the area;
    Rockets reset screen Harden vs Curry mismatch.
    (1:48) Curry uses tremendous amount of energy avoiding Harden....Rockets still set up Harden vs Curry.
    (2:08) Commentator notes that Warriors were trying to keep Curry hidden by having him guard a spot up
    shooter in Ariza....Rockets read the play, have Ariza cut across the lane, Curry is forced to guard Eric Gordon,
    who then sets the screen......forcing Curry on CP3.
    (2:33) KD gets caught on screen.....Harden takes Curry down the lane. Must foul moment.
    (Rest of video) poor Curry defense.
    So, Melo will be targeted vs the Warriors on the perimeter....Curry everywhere on the court. Add Cousins who
    is coming back from Achilles’ tendon repair. Welcome to the torture chamber of Mr. Harden and Mr Paul.

The concern is Draymond.
    As you can see in this video located in the article, Draymond is the most important key to the Warriors defense.
    “Draymond is a Defensive Genuis Unlike Any the NBA has Ever Seen.”
    https://www.sbnation.com/videos/201...reen-defense-highlights-video-genius-warriors
    But one can see Draymond free lancing and the Rockets taking advantage of his overplay. Many Rockets were
    wide open in the series;Thus the need for confident shooters. In step Melo.

So can the Rockets Offense be successful, I say yes. But the Mid-Range needs to be restricted/limited.
    I strongly believe the Thunder didn’t utilize Melo properly. Melo is a very difficult cover in the post. In this
    video one can see how Melo demands double coverage.....especially vs lighter foes forced into mismatch.

From the post up play sets up a play I would like Houston to take from the Warriors. We see it in the video. “Warriors Split Action: Play We Love.”

(0:50) Klay enters the ball into the post, Iggy sets a flare screen away from the ball (free up Klay), Thompson
    wide open shot.
    (1:02) Ball entered into the post (KD), Draymond sets the screen, cuts to basket instead for easy basket.
    -you get the picture-

Last video is of Melo vs Rockets: just so people can see Melo get chicken winged by Harden down the
    lane..Melo recovers and still blocks the shot. Not many NBA players can do this.

Find it at the 2:33 mark of the video. You can also find Melo blow by GG in the post at the 1:45 mark.
    This is what I want from Melo.....taking it to the rack and get fouled or find an open shooter. Don’t settle
    for mid-range fadeaway. Bailing out the defender. In a recent scrimmage is see that Melo was 19 pts/16 asts.

Go Rockets!!

2. BackdoorHarden

you put a lot of research into this and backed it up with a lot of stats and graph. Great job! I didn't read any of it though. Just looked at the pretty pictures and went straight to pronhub. TLDR or whatever kids say today

3. theimpossibles1

Another lazy Melo thread.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Nice post. I look forward to seeing Melo become a champion with us.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Why did you say anything at all @BackdoorHarden ? If you didn't care, then why comment?

@ApacheWarrior as a fan of yours I tried to understand everything, but I wish I would have read more commentary in-between the stats. I didn't always know what you were trying to point out. Let me know if you edit your OP... I'd happily read it again if you added commentary to the stats you dug up (lot's of time obviously went into that). If you explained what you thought those stats would lead too and explained what all the particular stats measured, I'd like it even more.

Roc Paint, ApacheWarrior and hakeem94 like this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dun Dun.......Dun Dun........Dun Dun, did not reeeeaad!!!!! Eeeeeeeekkk!!!!!

Game7 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. BackdoorHarden

I'm just trolling for hot chicks. Where damn hot white chicks be at???? I'm rich Bitoooch!!

Hakeemtheking and Jack Kingoff like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

So we're all just going to pretend like this is a Dun Dun...Dun Dun...Dun Dun Dun...Dunnnn thread
    when this is clearly a Duun...Duun...Duuuuuuun thread?

This thread isn't sneaking up on anybody this is clearly a thread for dramatic effect..

We are better than this.. @ApacheWarrior, get your Dun's straight.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. House Rockets

House Rockets Member

Come on guys, we all know Jimmy Butler threads are the new trend. Amirite?

Also, Kudos to the OP for the in depth research. Very good post.

#9 House Rockets, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  10. basketballholic

A healthy Melo is much better defensively than he's recognized for. He has super quick hands and he's very strong on the block. Also has super high bball iq. We'll figure out how to minimize his exposure in iso.

And I expect in this offense he'll shoot about 42+% from 3 on high volume and we won't see many shots outside the paint and inside the 3 point line from him. Looking forward to the matchup with Draymond. Draymond will either have to face guard Melo or give up the open catch-and-shoot laser 3-ball to Melo. Will be fun to watch.

A healthy Melo is a very important part of our closing lineup.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tons of Melo threads and no Melo on the court yet.

Let him first step on the court, y'all!

High Vibrationz likes this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

what song is the thread title from? feel like I've heard of it from somewhere.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Dun Dun...Dun Dun...Dun Dun Dun...Dunnnnn! Bam!

[​IMG]

But..but... the media?? o_O

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

[QUOTE="don grahamleone,

@ApacheWarrior as a fan of yours I tried to understand everything, but I wish I would have read more commentary in-between the stats. I didn't always know what you were trying to point out. Let me know if you edit your OP... I'd happily read it again if you added commentary to the stats you dug up (lot's of time obviously went into that). If you explained what you thought those stats would lead too and explained what all the particular stats measured, I'd like it even more.[/QUOTE]
    Fan of yours as well @don grahamleone

Rather than edit, I would like to expand on the original post. I felt I was running out of space....left some info
    out.

PnR (Roll-Man), PnR (Ball Handler), Isolation are staple plays of most NBA teams in which to initiate a scoring
    opportunity. Isolation and Post Ups have shown a the past to be inefficient scoring plays; but recently teams
    have learned to force a mismatch in order to make the play type more efficient. Warriors use a post up play
    to open up 3-pt shooters. Rockets force a mismatch to get a favorable outcome through CP3 or Harden
    Isolation.

stats.nba.com (Play-Type-Isolations)
    Harden (17/18)...........35.1% freq...............1.22 ppp...............95.7 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 8
    CP3 (17/18)................29.3% freq..............1.10 ppp................90.8 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 9
    Eric Gordon (17/18)....9.7% freq................0.99 ppp...............75.7 (NBA percentile).......found on pg 9
    Nene (17/18)...............5.8% freq...............1.05 ppp................86.5 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 7
    G Green (17/18)..........5.2% freq...............0.88 ppp................55.5 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 2
    *Melo (17/18)..............18.1% freq................0.89 ppp..............58.2 (NBA percentile).......found on pg 6

*Many here including myself believe Melo was held back by the “Westbrook effect” while with OKC.
    We might consider Melo with the Knicks in this situation:
    Melo (16/17).................23.1% freq..............0.99 ppp...............78.3 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 8 (Triangle O)
    Melo (15/16).................23.7% freq..............0.95 ppp...............80.4 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 6 (Triangle O)
    Fits in well with Rockets imo.

PnR (Ball Handler)
    Harden (17/18)...............35.8% freq............0.91 ppp.................76.4 (NBA percentile).....found on pg 8
    CP3 (17/18)....................36.4% freq..........1.02 ppp..................91.7 (NBA percentile).....found on pg 8
    Eric Gordon (17/18)........20.5% freq..........0.90 ppp..................74.8 (NBA percentile).....found on pg 8
    *Melo (17/18)..................10.9% freq...........0.86 ppp.................64.3 (NBA percentile).....found on pg 3
    *Good possibility Melo numbers could find an uptick with Houston due to good outside shooting providing
    spacing Melo has rarely seen in his career.

BTW Gerald Green was: 12.3% freq............1.23 ppp................98.4 (NBA percentile)....found on pg 2

This is one reason I believe Eric Gordon can/will be used in a Jimmy Butler trade (or other). GG gets
    promotion as Beverley role of bringing the ball up the court and handing the ball off to Harden/CP3 or Melo.
    Then GG sets up as spot shooter. Or part of PnR (Ball Handler).

PnR (Roll-Man)
    Tucker (17/18)..................10.1% freq..............0.55 ppp..................1.4 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 7
    Nene (17/18).....................36.6% freq.............1.05 ppp.................45.4 (NBA percentile).....found on pg 5
    Capela (17/18)..................32.1% freq.............1.34 ppp..................91.3 (NBA percentile)....found on pg 7
    *Melo (17/18).....................6.9% freq..............0.84 ppp..................10.1 (NBA percentile)....found on pg 6

*Melo is not as good as Nene and Capela as PnR (Roll-Man); but better than Tucker.

Post Ups
    Harden (17/18)..................1.8% freq................0.86 ppp..................47.1 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 6
    CP3 (17/18).......................3.3% freq................1.06 ppp..................89.2 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 7
    Capela (17/18)...................3.6% freq................0.63 ppp.................10.3 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 7
    Nene (17/18).....................7.7% freq.................1.16 ppp.................96.6 (NBA percentile)......found on pg 6
    *Melo (17/18)...................14.4% freq.................0.84 ppp................42.6 (NBA percentile).......found on pg 5

*So Melo blows other Rockets away in frequency of Post Ups.....running the Warriors “Split Action” works for the
    Rockets since Melo would demand attention in the post and Rockets have good shooters surrounding him (Melo).

**Melo (16/17)...................16.7% freq................0.92 ppp................62.6 (NBA percentile)...pg 1 (Knicks-Triangle O)
    Remember “Westbrook Effect” lowering (17/18) numbers.

What would help the Rockets run the “Split Action” play?
    1) Good post up game....Melo probably offers a better post up game than Warriors have.
    Depends on the health of D Cousins.

2) Good outside shooters.......specifically “catch and shoot”

3) Cutters

Brings us to the Cutter-play
    New Rockets
    MCW (17/18).....................5.9% freq...............1.16 ppp......................27.9 (NBA percentile).......found pg 2
    James Ennis (17/18).........9.6% freq...............1.63 ppp......................97.5 (NBA percentile).......found pg 4

CP3 (17/18).......................0.8% freq...............1,00 ppp..................... ——..................................found pg 3
    G Green (17/18)................2.2% freq................1.00 ppp.....................10.2 (NBA percentile).......found pg 2
    Harden (17/18)..................1.0% freq................1.65 ppp.....................98.1 (NBA percentile).......found pg 6
    E Gordon (17/18)..............1.7% freq................1.30 ppp......................60.4 (NBA percentile).......found pg 9
    Tucker (17/18)...................2.6% freq................0.79 ppp.......................2.5 (NBA percentile).......found pg 4
    Nene (17/18)....................20.0% freq...............1.11 ppp......................21.0 (NBA percentile)......found pg 8
    Capela (17/18).................26.9% freq...............1.25 ppp......................47.7 (NBA percentile)......found pg 9

Just an FYI (to viewers)
    Jimmy Butler (17/18).........5.3% freq...................1.55 ppp.....................93.4 (NBA percentile).......found pg 8
    (as a Cutter). Plus Butler scores high in majority of the stats related to Houston needs.

Here is a video I wanted to add to OP. Shows Melo one year removed (17/18) highlights.

“Thunder PF Carmelo Anthony 2017-2018 Season highlights.”
    (Video is 8 mins 20 secs)
    (0:01) Melo in low post vs mismatch (Murray)......Millsap comes over to help. Melo demanded double team.
    (0:17) Melo face up iso vs Millsap......blow by.
    (0:22) Face up iso vs Millsap. Pump fake leads to easy mid-range shot.
    (0:42) Melo catch-n-shoot 3 (made.......tailor made for Houston offense)
    (0:47) Melo CnS 3 (made......diddo)
    (1:02) long 2-pt attempt. This is the type of shot I want Melo to remove from his game.
    (1:10) Melo face up on the block vs Tucker. Shoots over Tucker.
    (1:17) Long 2-pt attempt. Remove that from your game Melo and you will flourish in Houston.
    (1:22) iso vs Capela near 3-pt line. Rather Melo gets by Capela and draws double team.....open shooters ready.
    (1:27) Melo back to basket on the block vs Harden. Mismatches for Melo on the block will work for Rockets.
    (1:32) Melo iso vs Ryan Anderson near 3-pt line. (ill advised long 2)
    (1.39) Melo back to basket in the low block vs Tobias Harris. Easy money.

-couple of FT line jumpers that I can live with-

(1:55) CnS 3-pt make. (Good for Houston offense/scheme this year)
    (2:20) CnS 3-pt make. Diddo
    (2:30) CnS 3-pt make. Diddo
    (2:42) CnS 3-pt make. Diddo
    (2:46) CnS 3-pt make. Diddo
    (2:50) CnS 3-pt make. (Wide Open) Diddo.

Peace out my friend. Rockets will go for about 68 wins barring serious injuries.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. BigBum

BigBum Member

Book it,

Without starter Melo, we are not going to win the championship this year!

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Great breakdown @ApacheWarrior. Being able to force a big to switch on 3 or 13 and having a smaller guy on Melo in the post brings an interesting dynamic to our offense. Excited to see how this plays out.

Sidenote: I don't think I'll ever be able to watch any type of highlights from the WCF series, even if it's a highlight tape of Curry's awful defense. It seriously makes me sick and always will.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  17. Game7

Game7 Member

Rubio! Rubio! Rubio!

Jk...nice post.

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Nice video.

Melo makes shots at 100%.

JK, please reply.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

yawn another low effort melo thread. wake me up when we trade a 2nd rounder for lebron.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I feel your pain. Many pundits want to lead the masses into thinking the Warriors are invincible; but a closer look
    shows that the Warriors are not perfect. Example is Curry running all over the place to avoid being the point of
    attack defensively.

If CP3 had stayed healthy....I strongly believe the Rockets would be World Champs. Tough break Luc MaM
    was not healthy as well.

Draymond is good. KD and Iggy help that defense stay strong, but it’s Draymond that quarterbacks that defense
    from in the paint. At times Draymond didn’t want to leave Capela which allowed a wide open 3-pt shooter
    open. The others Warriors have to work harder when Dray stays home by the rim. I recommend that CP3
    and Harden treat Draymond as a “Mike” linebacker in football. Recognize where and what Dray is doing
    tells Harden and CP3 where to attack, Goes with Rockets read and react offense. Take what the defense
    gives you.

Most regular season teams can’t match or stop the Rockets offense.
    Only about 6 teams can beat the Rockets (barring multiple injuries)
    Only about 2 teams that can beat the Rockets twice this same season year.

Thus I say only about 14 losses....again barring the injuries to major players.

Only thing derailing this is Melo shooting too many mid-range shots.
    Summer pick up game/video had Melo shooting nothing but mid ranges shots. Oh my head!!

Recent team scrimmage had Melo going for 19 pts and 16 rebs. That the Team USA Melo I’m looking for.
    Can’t wait for the season to start. Take care @adeelionaire

saleem and lionaire like this.