1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duke vs. Maryland this weekend... Predictions?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by giddyup, Feb 16, 2002.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Duke 87 Maryland 81

2. right1

right1 Member

Where is the game being played? What time? Who is broadcasting it on the tube? Too many questions, I'm going to go find a newspaper. DUKE by more than 10. 87-74

3. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

This is the last time the two teams will meet in Cole Field House (Maryland). The games at 1pm tomorrow.

I hope Maryland wins b/c Duke is already a virtual lock as #1 in the East and I would like to see another ACC Team get a #1 seed in the tournament. And then 3 other ACC teams will probably get in.

Prediction: Duke by 7

Correction: it's on CBS

#3 Johnny Rocket, Feb 16, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2002
  4. right1

right1 Member

This year or ever for Cole Field House? Will Maryland play in a new arena next year?

5. mduke

mduke Member

hmm. I think it'll be close, and I'm gonna pick Maryland.
    MD- 94
    Duke- 92

Wouldn't it be great to have 2 Big 12 teams, and 2 ACC teams in the Final Four?;)

Too bad the Big 12 won't get past the Sweet Sixteen:rolleyes:

6. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Maryland 74-72

Won't be as high octane as last game--I have no evidence for this statement, it's just a guess.

And the reason I am picking Maryland is because I want them to win. I realize that this, too, is not the greatest logic in the world, but when it comes to these two teams playing each other, I really don't know what to expect, especially after last year.

7. Johnny Rocket

8. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Duke- 86
    Maryland- 84

I think it will be that close. I mean there are shooters for each team. Duke has Jwill, Dunleavy, Boozer. Maryland has Dixon, Mouton, and Blake. Plus Maryland has a post game of Wilcox, Baxter, and Holden. Lots of big men on Maryland. Although I still think Duke will end up on top. Duke is a really strong team. I also think there are gonna be some incredible blocks from Dantay Jones, Dunleavy, and Chris Wilcox.

If u r going to watch the game, be sure to watch for Daniel Ewing of Duke. He used to play for Willowridge High School,which is located in Missouri City by Sugar Land, and is a pretty good player. He comes from the bench for usually Dantay Jones.

9. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I hear they have a pretty decent program out there...:p

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

Duke 77
    Maryland 76

Maryland holds a lead until the very end, as Duke gets hot in the last minute and takes the lead in the last few seconds. Maryland has ample opportunity to score the winning bucket, but misses.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if this was an overtime game, though. It'll either be very close or not close at all.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Duke-91
    MD-85

Maryland is in a double-edged sword situation. MD's m.o. is to push the tempo, however, they are not as good in a fast-paced setting as Duke is. If MD slows it down, they don't have enough shooters (other than Dixon) to be efficient in the half court.

The key for MD is to pound inside with Lo Bax and Wilcox and hope they can get Boozer into foul trouble.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Maryland 83
    Duke 78

Maryland jumps out to an early lead, as Baxter gets Boozer into foul trouble and the Terps exploit Duke's lack of depth. Duke makes a late charge with a couple of Williams' threes, but Dixon hits a late shot to put it away. Maryland wins at home.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Maryland as a good lead halfway through the second half until Dick Vitale storms the court and knifes Juan Dixon and Steve Blake.

Duke takes over after that and wins by 4.

14. Johnny Rocket

It's on CBS so hopefully the announces wont be rooting for one team to win.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Who really cares?

Anyone who needs to rely on announcers to keep up with the game, might as well not watch the game at all.

:rolleyes:

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure none of us need announcers to help us keep up with a game, but it does get painful to watch when one of the announcers is so biased towards one team.

17. beenieman

beenieman Member

I'm a big MD fan, but I believe Duke will win, although they really are close to each other in talent. Duke just seems to have more poise down the stretch, and they fall into lulls a lot less then MD. You also can't discount the fact that they almost always get the benefit of the officiating, whether at home or on the road. I also think that Boozer has matured alot this year and rarely gets in foul trouble; a problem that Baxter still has. Saying all that, if both teams play at their maximum potential, MD is the deeper and more talented team; it's just that Duke plays at their max potential more often then anyone in the country. I wouldn't expect Jason Williams to penetrate so easily this game, because MD plans to back off him. If he is going to score 30+ his shot will have to be on.

18. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Sim simma!!! Who got the keys to me beama?!!!

19. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Is there a more overrated prospect in the nation than Jason Williams?

A complete joke is the phrase I'd use in response to Dick Vitale's claim that he's the 2nd best point guard in the world.

All I see is a jack happy 3 point shooter with stumpy legs, mediocre defense, and a good finish in the lane....for a college player. The points he currently gets in the paint will not be there for him as a pro.

You can put me on the Dunleavy bandwagon by the way. I'll take fit over talent in the debate with Dunleavy vs Gooden. The Rockets need a consistent shooter moreso than they need a Rashard Lewis type sans the outside shot.

20. Johnny Rocket

Like RocketMan95 said it's just annoying.
    If I wanted to hear Duke announcers I would turn down the TV and turn on the radio.

Wow upset in the making