1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dual Spurs/Mavs fans??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carmine Capucci, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Carmine Capucci

I've trolled the major (only) Spurs forum for a while and they seem to have a great disdain for Houston while at the same time rooting for the Mavs. This phenomenon is also evident on Usenet with Spurs fans.

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a Rockets/Mavs fan or better yet a Rocket fan who roots for SA when they're not playing them. Why do the Spurs hate the Rockets? Do you think it goes beyond the 95 series or is it part of the culture down there in Tejas?

Hey, btw. I was reading the Shaq-destroys Yao thread and I was surprised at how well most of the posters took Shaq's comments. The Kings and Spurs fans go absolutely PMS hysterical when Shaq says anything like that about them. I think he'll have some good things to say about Yao after a while, don't doubt it for a second. He talks out of his azz a lot (though you have to admit it's funny when he talks about Sacto and SA), but if Yao doesn't tackle him Oakley style and plays him man-up, he'll praise him vocally like he did to Hakeem. Shaq is hypersensitive to any perceived diss and I think he took Yao's initial "Shaq's a mountain in my way" comment the wrong way.

2. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Who cares about the Spurs?!? They probably think they should've won the 1995 playoffs against us- and I bet they believe that Robinson deserved the MVP over Dream. I HATE THE SPURS! :mad:

3. Rocketman15

Rocketman15 Member

We hate San Antonio beacause they were good when we were creating a rivalry. This is the first time in a while that dallas is is good, and nothing compares with the moves the Dream put on the Admiral.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the mavs haven't ripped the hearts out from the spurs like the rocks did back in 95 so that's probably the reason there's more animosity towards us. you'd think winning a championship themselves would have eased that though. :)

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Spurs fans SUCK! :mad:

It gives me immense pleasure knowing that Hakeem made David his personal b**** for a playoff series. Spurs fans can take their asterisk championship and shove it up their ass.

6. Sane

Sane Member

Because Hakeem made Robinson look like the most undeserving MVP winner ever? Because our HOF Center was better than theirs? Because we have twin towers now too?

The Cat is a big Spurs fan. I think they're his 2nd favourite team. Wait, maybe it's Sacramento? I think he hates the Lakers and likes anyone who poses a threat against them, or something like that.

I don't hate the Spurs myself, but I don't necessarily like them.

Who's everyone's second favourite team here?

Mine would have to be the Lakers.

7. Sane

Sane Member

Rockets03,

Our Championships are considered to be with asterisks too. By most people at least.

But wewonn 2 in a row, while the Spurs won half. LOL, that sounds funny.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Haha... well, I am a fan of anyone who plays LA. :)

As far as the Spurs go, my second favorite team is automatically whatever team Tim Duncan plays for. I actually very much disliked the Spurs before Duncan got there, but he has been my favorite player since he was a freshman in college, and it's not going to change now. In a perfect world, he'd play for the Rockets, but with the way things are I'll cheer for his team against anyone but the Rockets.

Also, unless you were claiming asterisk before the season (when you knew the regular season was just 50 games) and when the Rockets were in contention, please stop it. If you thought it was an asterisk season all along, fine. But, 03 has already admitted that at the beginning of the season, when we were in contention, he didn't think of it as an asterisk. That's indicative of 99% of the asterisk guys out there. It wouldn't have been an asterisk if their team won, but since a team they hated won, it's a cheap way of diminishing the value of a title.

Of course, they have every right to think that, but it just bugs me when those same people jump on me when I accuse the Lakers of getting favorable officiating.

9. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

There are a lot of reasons why i hate the spurs, Vinny del Negro being at the top of my list.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I know The Cat is saying some stuff again about the Spurs champinship, but all I hear is "blah blah blah and some more BLAH!" :rolleyes:

Who is with me on this damnit? This is a Rockets board and I say the Spurs championship has a big fat ass * next to it.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Why are a lot of Spurs fans also fans of the mavs but not the Rocks?

Cuz a lot of them are bandwagoners. Jump onto the next hip thing. If the rockets start kicking ass they'll start to like them too, unless a true rivalry develops.

That being said, Mavs are a fun team to watch cuz of their O, and TD is my fav non-rocket player to watch. But I wont root for their damn teams, I got my own.

12. Miggidy Markell

Personally, I cannot stand the following about the:
    Spurs

1) Their commentators
    2) David Robinson
    3) Sean Elliot
    4) Tim Duncan's bank shot
    5) Danny Ferry (commentators act like he a top 50 player)

Mavs

1) Steve Nash (and that awesome hair cut :rolleyes:)
    2) Mark Cuban
    3) Shawn Bradley (the comparisons to Yao, OUCH!)
    4) No Defense
    5) The 2nd coming of the Blazers.

Other teams I hate:

1) Lakers
    2) Jazz
    3) Bulls
    4) Nets
    5) Sixers

2nd favourite team:

Timberwolves, I had high hopes for them after the 97 play-offs. Garnett and Marbury were an awesome pair.

13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I used to go for all the Texas teams, but that was when I didn't even know who Scottie Pippen, Clyde Drexler, and Shaq were. If I heard SA, Houston, or Dallas, I went for that team. Later, when I learned about divisions and stuff, I just stuck with the Rockets.

My second favorite is the Raptors,mainly because of Hakeem. I kind of like Vince Carter, though, too. Since they're in the east, they don't play the Rockets much, so I can like them as long as they don't win TOO much. :D

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think Ive only rooted for SA once and that was against NY in the finals. I didnt want to see Ewing get a ring. I felt that if he did, the NY media would have tried to put him into the elite circle with Hakeem.

Plus, I also like Duncan. Hes one of the few fundamentally sound players in this league plus hes also one of the few good guys. I find myself rooting for Duncan, but in the end, I hate to see the Spurs win.

If Ming should pattern himself after any one big man in this league, it should be Duncan.

15. Miggidy Markell

Ewing was ingured throughout the play-offs though, true? How could they credit that to Ewing?

16. codell

The NY media is good at manipulating things in different ways. lol
    I didnt want to chance it.

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

*champions

18. codell

They played a full playoff schedule just like any other champion.

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

every other champion played 82 games leading up to the playoffs.

82 > 81,80,79 and especially 50.

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

SA and Dallas have always been dual favorites of each other because they both suck. :rolleyes: