1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dual Boot Laptop (Work/Gaming/Etc.)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Johndoe804, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Looking to buy a new laptop. I need it to run Windows so I can use company software and play the new Star Wars MMO. However, I'd like it to have the capacity to dual boot Ubuntu without adversely affecting the performance of either OS. I prefer using Ubuntu for just about everything else. Any advice? Budget isn't a huge concern. I'm rich. ;)

2. Prince

Prince Member

Buy two laptops then.

Then, buy double adhesive tape and take DD's suggestion, Annex them.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Put Ubuntu on a USB drive, go into a store and try to dual boot from there just to try out. Some of the Lenovo's have driver problems with Ubuntu so be careful there.

I think Dell still makes computer that come pre-installed with Dell, so you can check into that.

1 person likes this.
  4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

On a related note, I need to acquire a copy of Windows 7 to install as a dual-boot OS on my home PC. Not interested in pirated copies or "I'll come install it for you for $20" deals. Suggestions?

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Good advice. I've heard good things about Lenovo laptops. My old college roommate runs Ubuntu on a Lenovo without any problems. Of course, he's an experienced programmer and can fix any issues he encounters.

6. Scionxa

Doh!
    pre-installed with Ubuntu*

7. Scionxa

Yeah, I've run a Thinkpad SL410 with Ubuntu 11.04 and found workarounds to my problem. Ubuntu is a neat OS.