1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

du Pont Heir Plead Guilty to Raping 3-year-old Daughter; Received Probation, no Jail Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dharocks, Mar 31, 2014.

1. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

For whatever reason this didn't hit the news at the time of the ruling, but details are coming out now that the guilty party is involved in a civil suit with his ex-wife.

Even looking past this particular case, it's disturbing how lightly sex crimes tend to be punished in this country. Not sure how the US compares to other 1st World countries in that respect.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-received-no-jail-time-after-rape-conviction/

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I do not support the death penalty often, but this is a case were I would make an exception.

That being said I do not know what "fourth-degree rape" means, but I guess it is as bad as it sounds.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The extra-judicial restrictions that certain sex offenders are subject to in the last quarter century precludes them from working or living most places after whatever sentence they're given.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Would be interesting to see if she ever runs for office and coincidentally there's a mystery donation to her campaign. #conspiracytheory

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

That is one f-cked up family. No joke.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Really? Honestly, you can make an argument that we're too harsh on them.

As for the case here: fact is that they probably didn't have enough to actually convict Mr. Richards, and so got the guilty plea in exchange for probation. I mean, come on. Are you really, really going to convict a man over the claims of a pissed-off ex wife? I doubt a jury would.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Sociopaths are bad enough, 1% are bad enough, combine them and you get a real life monster who can pretty much get away with anything.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I wouldn't say they are too light. I dont know the details of this case, and if there was a true crime committed, then yes, this was very light. However, some of the statutory laws are very severe.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Rape in the 4th degree is the lightest charge you can give for child rape in Delaware that I can find. It's a Class C felony, punishable by up to 15 years in prison. But, it specifies intercourse or penetration. So what he pled guilty to was not just some fiddling, but a full-on rape. Maybe you can say they would have gotten nothing at all without taking jail-time off the table. But, I'm not too happy with that. If he's innocent, its a miscarriage of justice to force him into an admission to save him the risk of a trial. If he's guilty of a full-on rape of a 3 year old, admission without prison time isn't any better. I think I'd prefer they take their chances with a jury trial. If he's found not guilty, they've lost little compared to a conviction without punishment.

Of course, there's also all the money that's involved.

11. Major

Major Member

Except that doesn't seem to be what happened here. The sentencing was by the judge - and she made the decision because he "wouldn't fare well" in jail, after she had originally sentenced him to 8 years and then changed her mind. The probation was not part of a plea agreement.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

What king of messed up father would admit to rape of his daughter if hè didn't do it.

Anybody that can harm their own child in such a way is totally crazy. And should be punished severely

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

There have been a lot of stories recently about convicted offenders receiving suspended and low-end sentences. From the statistics I've seen, sex offenders generally see more leniency than those convicted of nonviolent drug and handgun possession charges.

As for this story, news of the sentencing is coming out now because of the civil suit. The actual sentencing and plea came 4 years ago.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

You'd be surprised just how many people have "confessed" under interrogation to crimes objective evidence said was impossible for them to have committed...

15. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

This is not actually stated in the article at the top. It is simply insinuated that it is so. Could not a suspended sentence of 8 years be part of a plea bargain, after all?

Except this conviction does carry punishment. He has to report to a parole officer, and his name is placed on the sex offenders register, which is basically a life-ruiner. Hopefully, these measures will ensure that Mr. Richards never pulls this crap again.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Which country is the one where public stones,beat, and hang you for stealing something?

17. Major

Major Member

The Judge states in her order that her sentencing decision was based, in part, on the fact that he would not fare well in prison. If that was not part of the reason for the sentence, then she is lying in her order.

From my understanding of how a plea bargain works, it is between the prosecutor and defendant - not the judge. So while the prosecutor can offer a lesser charge, he could only have recommended no jail time, and the judge is under no obligation to follow that recommendation. The crime he pleaded to still could have included jail time - she made the decision on that.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Having been involved in orchestrating settlements and compromises, I can tell you that 99% of the time there is more is more than meets the eye in plea and settlement agreements that appear one sided. Prosecutors and Judges do not want to risk their professional life by making agreements that are one sided.

Having said that, I am curious what exactly are the reasons that Judge relied upon in reaching her decision. Simply stating that "he would not fair well in prison" is not sufficient... most child rapists will not fair well in prison.

On second thought, I don't want to know.. the Du Pont family historically is about as ****ed up as you will find.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Mississippi

1 person likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

For normal people, yes it's a lifelong punishment that limits your ability to get jobs, find housing and so on. For someone as rich as du Pont is supposed to be, it's probably not nearly so burdensome. His biggest problem is probably limits on his tourism destinations.