1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drugs and Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

We all know the history, no need to get over it. I just want to see how people feel about the incidents relating to their individual potential as well as the team's.

Do you guys think that if Wiggins, Lloyd and Lucas hadn't been on drugs, the 85-86 playoffs / finals would've had a different outcome?
    Do you consider these guy crucial to the years following and had the Rockets had more success you think?

Also do you guys feel their drug use affected their play in a negative way, in other words, do you think they used during the season (before games, between games, after games) or more during the offseason ?

I don't know much about this era so that's why I'm asking.

Also do you guys feel there were a lot more guys doing drugs, just using it more wisely and these 3 were just unlucky getting caught?

Last one, do you guys think a guy like Maxwell who was involved with drugs before his stint in the NBA and busted with marihuana, did drugs during the NBA season (they only test prior to the season right?) ?

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Wiggins, Lucas, Lloyd team was the greatest roster ever assembled, in my opinion.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Clutchfans- Where taking what if's to a whole new level happens.

4. HombreDeHierro

I feel like I play better just slightly high...

Beasley prolly feels the same way

5. Sageeeeeeee

Sageeeeeeee Member

yeah man, drugs have been an issue

6. Garner

Garner Member

In before the Francis pic.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd say that team was the greatest Rockets team assembled, and the best ringless squad.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they found 1.2 grams of mar1juana in Maxwell's car.

9. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

IMO, it depends on the type of drugs were talking about. Anything can be abused. I'm not too familiar with the situations of if Wiggins, Lloyd and Lucas. I do believe players shouldn't be using any kind of drugs if they value their careers and strive to be the best. Alcoholism is much worst than a couple of grams of mar1juana, but over the counter drugs can be very harmful if abused as well. Maxwell is a fine example of a player that thought he handle it and couldn't. In the long run, it will catch up too you.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They would have won multiple championships, and here is the kick in the balls....in the old CBA, the managment confronted suspected users, and the players had a chance to admit it, and take a 30 day suspension and do rehab.....and come back...THAT YEAR...

Both Lloyd and Wiggins denied it (knowing they were guilty) and took a test, if you took the test, you were banned for life (2 years etc).....they could have just said...yes and sat for 30 days....

DUMB ASSES !!!

DD

11. ApuN

ApuN Member

At the time they were the only team in the West that everybody thought would dethrone the Lakers to be the next "Dynasty"

That loss in 1986 scared the bejeebus out of Riley and Co.

Unlike Maxwell who smoked weed, which I think isn't that serious, Wiggins, Lloyd, and Lucas were freebasing which eventually destroys the lives of anybody who becomes addicted to it. In the beginning they were able to "perform" and "maintain", but eventually their play would have gone down.

I don't know how different '86 would have been if none of them were using, but it definitely changed the history of the Rockets after they all got banned.

I just don't thing crack usage was as widespread in the NBA as most might think though.

The only other player who got banned was M.R. Richardson.

12. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Man!!! Has this off season sucked!!!

13. Mr_Mean

Mr_Mean Member

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Cocaines a helluva drug

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

eventually we wouldve turned into this. although we kinda did anyway during the francis era.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/anIf5GQqy6Q" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="420"></iframe>

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One could argue (I would) that the '85-'86 team (with Lucas) was the finest collection of talent ever in the uniform of the Houston Rockets. They simply needed another year or two to gain experience in order to win a title. Perhaps multiple titles. A dynasty. Everyone at the time expected it. Articles and columns in newspapers and magazines praised the team and its future. Then it all blew up.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He probably needed to smoke weed so he would calm down.

18. ApuN

ApuN Member

LOLZ!

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

What about during games? Ron Ron used to drink during games. I'm sure some with habits use during stressful situations such as games.

20. HombreDeHierro

I lol'd at your spelling.. You probably helped make those 30s ad campaigns huh?