1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Droid] Killin everybody out there.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YaosDirtyStache, Dec 3, 2010.

1. YaosDirtyStache

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news...Droid-screen-explodes-111260239.html#comments

CEDAR HILL, Texas — A North Texas man talking on his cell phone was rushed to a hospital after his phone apparently exploded Thursday morning.

Aron Embry was at Ray Elementary in Cedar Hill at the time of the incident. The man said he had just finished a call when he said he heard a loud "pop."

He then felt something trickling down his face; it was blood.

His ear then began to bleed profusely, and he was immediately taken to the emergency room at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. He received four stitches, but said there was no hearing loss.

The glass on the face of the Motorola Droid smartphone apparently shattered. He said he had just purchased it just two days ago.

"Once I got to the mirror and saw it, it was only then I kind of looked at my phone and realized that the screen had appeared to burst outward," he said.

The phone still appears to be functioning, and its battery was intact.

Family members said they plan to contact the manufacturer of the phone and Verizon about the incident.

On Thursday evening, Motorola issued this statement:

"Motorola's priority is, and always has been the safety of our customers, and all Motorola products are designed, manufactured and tested to meet or exceed international and local standards for consumer safety. We will reach out to the consumer and investigate this thoroughly."

While an exploding phone is rare, it is not unique.

Just a few months ago, a 23-year-old man died after his phone exploded in North India.

Most reports of exploding phones happen when they are in charging mode, which was the case in China. The phone of a 27-year-old housewife exploded while she was talking to her husband as the phone was being charged. She too was killed.

There was another incident reported in Wyoming a few years ago. A 19-year-old co-ed suffered second to third-degree burns while sleeping. Her phone had been charging near her when it caught fire. She was injured while trying to extinguish the fire.

It was in direct response to the Wyoming case that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued warnings for cell phone users. Among tips released by the CPSC were making sure your cell phone is compatible with your battery. Also, it warned users to keep batteries away from metal objects while phones are not in use. Phones should also be kept away from liquids and users should be careful that they do not overheat.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Pheww, HTC G2 here.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

LA Lakers 2010 NBA Champions Skin
    for Motorola Droid

[​IMG]

Hey Laker's fans. Cool 'eh. Switch to the Droid.

4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Damn somebody created a virus that explodes a cell phone screen on with the combination of the number 69 before I did.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Saw this on the news up here yesteday, guys full of crap. Phone looks like it's been fallen on more than it exploding...

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

wtf....i have a droid! :(

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Hide ya kids, hide ya wives?

8. VanityHalfBlack

A Guy and one jar reference

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

[​IMG]

I wonder who will get this reference.

10. YaosDirtyStache

THIS GUY.

When that happened to the judge I screamed like a little girl. Caught me off guard.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Whoa whoa whoa! I sleep with my phone next to me, as it charges. Like on the bed next to my head... twice I've grabbed it and noticed it was abnormally hot. Scary hot. Like it was about to explode! I am kind of worried, seriously. Galaxy.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

the guy must work for Apple....

I call BS (not because I'm a Droid X owner) but the PHONE STILL WORKS, if something exploded internally, it wouldn't flipping work....

plus the guy doesn't have health insurance, thats a red flag there.....

13. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

lol u sound like a guy that works for verizon...such a homer :grin:

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

i heard about this on the radio...the guy said it exploded, he had his wife at her job take pictures, then he called 911...hmmm

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I mean seriously, does this look like a phone that exploded or was dropped?

[​IMG]

16. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Absolute first thing I thought of when I read the story. It was very surprising indeed.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Yup and it looks like he's enjoying the media.

I personally think he's mad because he just got the phone, dropped it, cracked it, didn't have phone insurance either and thinks this investigation will conclude with motorola giving him a new phone

18. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

i was about to blow up on you, then saw the handle, u jackass... :grin: