1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Driving while texting) a No-No!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lady_Di, Nov 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27650408/

Would you be ok with a ban on texting and talking?

How many of you text when driving? Ok, for people that don't have a text plan, do you drive and talk on your cell often? I've seen so many people driving and talking on their cell, it's crazy.

I used to be bad at texting and driving before until I realized how stupid it was so now I don't text until I get to my destination unless it's an emergency.

I would be fine with a ban if it helps to reduce accidents.

#1 Lady_Di, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wish they gave people tickets for this to be honest.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't do it. Only while at a stop light, and even then, I don't like doing it, much less when I have my family in my car. I usually will have Mrs. SwoLy write the text message back to someone. AND I spell out EVERYTHING. I absolutely hate the "texting" language and refuse to do it.
    REALLY. REALLY? :confused:

Define "an emergency" where you ABSOLUTELY TRULY have to text someone back WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING. :eek:

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i do it all the time.

i text and drive

i eat and drive

i sleep and drive.

the third one is VERY dangerous. I hate it.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Tell us something we don't know.

6. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

I have a nasty habit of doing replying to a text while driving. Mostly because I have a qwerty keypad on my phone so I don't look at it anyway. But it's still a bad habit I need make an effort to stop.

7. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Come on, you know. Like when you have a gun to your head. Or when you're gonna be late but have to take a last minute poopie.

8. Lady_Di

Well, in my case, texting would be a form of communication instead of making calls. So, if someone is following me or my brakes give out, I text my dude instead of calling him.

9. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I talk on the phone every now and then while I'm driving, but I wouldn't mind if it became a ticketable offense.

10. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

most losers [read=frequent texters] can text without looking anyway

nothing more homo than seeing a dude that constantly checking his phone

nothing more unattractive than a woman that just needs to conversate 24/7

11. Lady_Di

Exactly!! I have a sidekick and I don't look at it when texting. I would hold the phone and type while holding the steering wheel. Now, I just put it in the cup holder and look at it when i get a message. It's a big step, right?

12. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I dont do it..............hell I can barely do it when Im not driving. The worst thing I see on freeways today are people who hold it up in front of their face while driving.
    I think Ive told you this before D.

13. SwoLy-D

:( You DO NOT need to text while driving AT ALL. I hate seeing people with KIDS in their cars or even just alone, who refuse to DRIVE only and want to do OTHER THINGS while driving. Anyway, it's just a straight up question. I do not do it.
    I don't understand. How's "texting" your husband going to help your brakes or stop the guy following you? :confused: I don't see the connection. Maybe you can stop at a public place or immediately call a security guard somewhere or the police? In this case, a PHONE CALL is necessary, but "TEXTING" while driving to help your brakes? WTH.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I admit I do this sometimes and then I yell at myself for doing it. Ok, ban on driving and texting starting...

NOW!!!

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I used to be able to text without looking, but now that I have a phone with a full keyboard, no way.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, I do it. I shouldn't. Bad habit.

How many people speed excessively (judgement call, but you know when you're doing it a lot of times) while driving? How many follow other cars more closely than 2 seconds behind? How many roll right-on-red-lights or stop signs when it looks clear?

Those are all bad habits that people should break if they want to be safer.

How many fidget with their radio stations, look down at XM, check what song is playing on their ipod, switch out CDs?

Seriously, there are so many distractions while driving. Some people can deal with them better than others... or at least, some people are better drivers than others, therefore a percentage decrease in "safe driving" can be better tolerated by drivers who are in the upper echelon, if that makes any sense..

17. SwoLy-D

It is NOT the same thing. Pressing ONE BUTTON to scan your XM or to change a CD doesn't take as long or LOOKING DOWN AT A KEYBOARD or the number pad on your phone to continue to text.

USE www.jott.com to text. Haven't I already mentioned this 1239127319847309847 times before? :eek:

18. Lady_Di

Well, I can't hear so I gotta improvise. :) Going to a public place would be the ideal solution for someone following me but I dunno if I'll be SOL when my brakes give out. I'm pretty good at texting so hopefully I won't have to test my skills and driving with bad brakes.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I totally disagree. It's not just one button for most people. It's press button--look at display to see what's on--dislike, press next button--repeat. This can continue on.

Changing a CD.. look up in visor CD-holder, search for CD you want based on name.. all this takes attention and vision away from the road.

Maybe some people have their stations memorized and know the # of clicks to turn on the dial if they're manually scanning... maybe some people know the location of their CD's without looking.. and maybe some people text just fine without looking.

But if not, they're all distractions

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

you hate the texting language but use smilies like a mad man. Please tell me you use them while you text also. :)