1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Driving (includes brief tangent concerning Franz Ferdinand, longer one on Pink Floyd)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zac D, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Sometimes, driving is so cool. Do you ever feel this way? Today on my way home from school (4-ish hour drive), I was doing 80 in 4th gear in the left lane of a "Pass With Care" section of 45-mph limit highway trying to get past a minivan before slamming into oncoming traffic, listening to the part of "Jacqueline" that absolutely rocks, and I thought "Damn... this is cool." I know it's impossible for driving while listening to a CD to be primal, but it must tap into something, because sometimes it just feels good, you dig?

BRIEF FRANZ FERDINAND TANGENT
    When I first got this CD, I liked it. I do not like it any more. Instead, I have bonded with it. It's really brilliant after a few listens. These guys aren't satisfied with making one catchy riff into a tune; they layer them. There's so much going on in such simple songs, it's amazing. Crank up the chorus to "Dark of the Matinee" or "Auf Achse" and you'll see what I mean, maybe. Or maybe not. But I like them. I even like "Tell Her Tonight" and "Cheating On You" now.

BACK TO THE SUBJECT AT HAND
    And then, on my way back up to school from home, I theorized on why people get bored and what prevents it. While eating a pack of M&Ms and listening to "Delicate Sound of Thunder," I'm not bored. So I think, maybe the key to avoiding boredom is to keep, say, three of your five senses positively stimulated. Taste, hearing, and touch (drumming, of course). But then I'm not bored after the M&Ms are gone, either. So maybe it's just two senses. Or maybe it has nothing to do with whether you're 40% or 60% stimulated. I don't know.

LONGER PINK FLOYD TANGENT
    These guys are incredible. "Comfortably Numb" gets me thinking. You know, I think the world would actually be a worse place if that song didn't exist. Do you feel that way about any songs? I'm so grateful that somebody discovered that melody and realized that those lyrics had to go with it. Amazing. I mean... just the bass line alone, is... I don't know. I feel like there's no way it couldn't exist, but there's a long time that it DIDN'T, and that's WEIRD. ONE and two and three and four and ONE and two and three and four and ONE and two AND THREE and four and ONE and two and so on. And then I wonder, what are the other songs out there that haven't been written yet that people are going to feel that way about? What are we missing? Some good stuff, I bet.

I hate how on "Delicate Sound of Thunder," the song "Time" sounds rushed and perfunctory, like it's an afterthought. I love that song and I don't think they treated it very well.

BACK, AGAIN, TO THE SUBJECT
    BRB gotta dodge a semi

2. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Totally had this feeling cruising down a curve on I-45 before, you're not alone. :)

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Did the same thing earlier today heading east on I-10. Listing to Floyd with some deep/abstract thoughts can make a long drive pass quickly. David Gilmour is really badass.

4. synergy

synergy Member

If you were in Houston, you could see Franz Ferdinand live in concert next week.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

oh my god. NO. HE . DID. NOT... just throw an EOI reference in there.

:eek:

kudos^1337

Behold the mother****ing intellectual power of NIMF.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I am currently listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" and it has really hit me what a genius Roger Waters was by inserting the snippets of the people talking in the various tracks as well as bringing in the back-up singers and saxophonist Dick Parry.

Yes, the guy is an egomaniac, but he is a creative genius. Too bad that he and Gilmour could not get along.:(

7. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

It was not so much that they could not get along, the entire band Gilmour, Wright, and Mason asked him to lighten up and get over his Dad's death. Final Cut was very dark even darker than the Wall.

Roger told them to stick it because he WAS Pink Floyd and if they did not like it they could leave.

Well they did and Roger took them to court to stop them from using the Floyd name. Of course, a judge said that Roger did not have the right to tell 75% of the band that they could not use the name.

I have seen them both individually and I think that Pink Floyd is much better than Roger Waters by himself. Mainly because no matter who Roger gets to play the guitar parts they are not as good as David. However, I miss hearing Roger's voice when I saw Pink Floyd. Coincidently, Pink Floyd does not play a bunch of songs that Rogers sings but David sang on at least half of their old songs.

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Awesome.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Yea, Dennis, I know all about how the band broke up; I was talking more of them being unable to put away their differences to reunite (even though they are around their 60s now).

I would love to buy a live album like "Pulse" but the Gilmour-led band, as you probably know, don't ever play "Dogs" which is my all-time favorite Floyd song.

Of course, Roger released "In the Flesh Live" which has some of his solo stuff and various Floyd songs including "Dogs", but the Gilmour parts are played by a guy named Doyle Bramhall II. I haven't heard the version but from what I read, some think this guy is the second coming while others say he can't hold a candle to Dave.

10. droxford

droxford Member

... careful. In Roger's tour and studio work for The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking Roger had Eric Clapton. Sounded friggin' awesome.

-- droxford