1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Driving from Seattle to Calgary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slcrocket, Jan 17, 2010.

1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

So I'm planning this trip for the second week of February.

Anybody ever made the drive before? If so, any particular routes you'd recommend? I definitely want to go through Banff, but being that it's so close to Calgary anyways, I doubt that will change my route any.

Second, I am doing this economy-style, so we are basically going to campsites and doing some car camping along the way...from what I understand, they don't really have the kinds of rest stops or whatever I'm used to up north, so I wondered if anybody has camped or car camped whatever up in Canada and if you have any recommendations there.

Totally a shot in the dark, I totally see that - but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

2. updawg

updawg Member

I'd recommend doing it in the summer

Should be beautiful though

3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

You've got some big mountain passes to go over --- in February! Are you sure you want to be car camping????

I've heard I-90 can be awful -- and can be closed. That's one route -- to Spokane, then up to Canada.

Up I-5 to Vancouver and then along the Coquihalla may be better. Again -- weather is key. (time the border as that might be your bottleneck) I've done the Vancouver to Calgary route a few times in winter -- and it's not bad in clear weather -- but hell when the storms roll in.

Good snow tires, chains, food, blankets and candles are necessary. As is a car in good shape, and some extra cash in case you need to hole up at a hotel.

There are rest stops 'up north' (if by 'up north' you mean Canada). Not too different from the ones in Washington State, as far as I could tell.

Not much more to tell you. You need to be very comfortable with winter driving, have good snows (NOT allseasons), a reliable car, and preferably chains (and know how to put them on). It's about 12-13 hours -- I'd split over two days -- keep an eye out for the weather, and be prepared to be flexible with your schedule. If the weather's good -- the scenery's beautiful.

If it's only one or two of you there used to be cheap flights from Bellingham to Calgary. Good luck

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I made that drive north from Spokane, but to Nelson (very nice college town!) and then on up to the village of Kaslo, where a friend lives. It was absolutely beautiful and it was in the summer. Good luck! Haven't a clue about driving in these conditions.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Check out staying at hostels as an alternative to campsites, way cheaper then a hotel but many have almost the same amenities.

http://www.hostels.com/

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've only been to the Banf/Calgary area once and I thought it was pretty beautiful around the mountains. They told me to get out of there quick because it was about to get cold and people from Texas probably wouldn't survive when it dipped below 0. lol. This was in August sometime, I think. I'm not sure about the drive you're making though. I flew into Calgary and drove around the Banff area.

7. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Nice! I appreciate all of the information.

My car isn't AMAZING for snow, but it's certainly not bad - it's a 2010 4WD Toyota RAV4, which should be fine. I grew up in Salt Lake (hence the moniker), so I'm no stranger to driving in the snow - but living in Seattle for the past few years, it will certainly be an adjustment to be driving on slick roads again.

I'll go pick up my chains before we leave - otherwise, from what you guys are saying, just watch the weather, pay attention to road closures, etc., and just take it easy and drive slowly. Thanks!!!