1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexlerisms.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

I like Clyde...he says some dumb stuff but it is entertaining

2. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Hahaha I know Clyde says "you gotta dunk that" way too much but I like it, aren't we always talking about how our players never finish the basket strong? Patterson and Asik mainly. I like it, even if he says it every single play lol.

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Clyde is a cliche' machine and has no clue that his sentences make no sense. I'm like does he review his tape after the game and make adjustments. He just rambles on and on and on. He's spot on when it comes Asik, Asik goes up softer than Jello pudding.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hmm, honestly it annoys the hell out of me. He's giving the audience the wrong impression of what the players are capable of.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I wish Clyde would retire. It's painful to listen to him call a game.

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

He had me rolling the last game when he said New York's backup PG looks like he plays for the Police Academy League:grin::grin::grin:

7. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Lol, he was raggin on Kidd also, saying he looked like the old man at the YMCA with his Bandage and crooked headband look.

I think the 3 man team is working out great, with Bull providing the strategy and Clyde offering the NBA Hall of fame perspective, and giving the team a happier mood. I think part of his job is to balance out Bill's homerism, which is why he always gives the opposing team benefit of the doubt.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have to say that the three-man strategy is working. It's much less painful. Clyde seems less likely to go off on an ignorant rant and dominate the broadcast. Any improvement is worth heralding at this point.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I do like the three man broadcast team. Bull for analysis, and Clyde for comic releif.

10. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

I remember that! That was hilarious!

It reminded me of when I was a kid in the late 1970's early '80's and a squad of Dallas Cowboy players including Drew Pearson and Robert Newhouse came to Pampa Tx. to play basketball against the Pampa Police Dept.

The Police got crushed. The players signed autographs after the game and everything. Ahh, the good old days.

11. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

best one I heard this year was during the Heat game:

Bill: Man Wade looks a lot younger with that new hair style
    Clyde: Wade with the new haircut looks younger - he doesnt look like a 10 year vet but a third year rookie

1 person likes this.
  13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Amphibious...:(

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Lol, that's the stone cold truth though. The Rockets are softer than charmin around the rim. Asik and Patterson especially have to start taking it up and finishing with authority.

Wait, you actually watch the games :eek::eek:

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its not Drexler saying "you gotta go up with AUTHORITY!" Someone like Calvin Murphy can drive the same point across of being aggressive and not being soft.

Its EVERYTIME there's a miss around the rim even 4 feet away, its an *auto-response* robotic "You gotta DUNK that". It doesnt matter if they're tripled teamed, or if their feet arent set when they catch the pass, or if they're going up flat-footed no running start with no ability to get the lift. Drexler says it out of context too much.
    (Which is basically what "Drexlerisms" is all about, commentary with no context)

Also players can get hurt trying to dive-bomb into the rim every time going for the monster facial, like Blake Griffin. If Patterson and Asik have Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan type dunking capability, yes please go up strong like that. But not every player has that kind of bounce to do it ALL the time.

Would it really be THAT surprising if even Jeremy Lin got fouled to the floor at the rim and Drexler says "You gotta DUNK that" as though its the general expectation?

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Misses 3 point shot....you gotta dunk that!!!

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

I bet this place is full of Drexlerisms, I bet the menu is as well.

Oven smoked brisket
    chopped mashed potatoes
    chopped, sliced brisket sandwiches
    fried grilled pickles

18. stylus8088

stylus8088 Member

Lol. I remember that. That was the biggest wtf moment of the night.