1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexler for President!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gary Vance, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Gary Vance

Gary Vance Member

I write this in response to the viral hate thread that is currently running on Clyde. Who are you people? Clyde Drexler is a Houston icon. I know enough about basketball and the Rockets to not need a smooth commentator with silver tongued vernacular. I love what Clyde brings to the game...himself. I get my popcorn and a cold one and dial in the Rockets and then I get to sit next to Clyde freakin Drexler and watch the game. I would not choose Bill or Bull or even good old Calvin over Clyde. I don't care what he says or how well he says it. I just love the opportunity to hang out with the man come game time. There's only one ex-Rocket that I would choose over him and that is Hakeem. How well does he talk? It's the person! Give me Clyde and Hakeem together in the booth and I will be in Rocket heaven.

You people are so smug and critical it makes me sick to my stomach. I just hope and pray that Clyde never sees your heartless and disgusting comments. Are your lives so pathetic that all you can do is try to make yourselves seem articulate and and basketball savvy by ragging on Clyde Drexler? Grow up!! Please examine your hearts and turn your lives around.

Drexler is a top 50 all time NBA great, an ex-Rocket and a celebrity Houstonian. Show some respect. He's a good human being. After all, Clyde isn't running for President...he's talking basketball. All things considered I'd vote for him over the current crop of ding dongs that are running.

So, here goes...Drexler for President!!

As Mutombo would say...Kiss whatever it was he suggested.

5 people like this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

His suckiness as a broadcaster isn't an indictment on him as a player or as a person. He just doesn't taking his job very seriously, and it shows. For me, its nails on a chalkboard.

But, yeah, he was a great Houston Rocket. Hopefully, his post-playing career as a commentator doesn't take away from that in people's memories.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yo4PY_FVK7A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, if Drexler becomes President, does it mean he will no longer do Rockets games? If so, I believe many will vote for him.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Nah... He's painful to listen to.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If this is the case then yes, DREX FOR PREZ!!

Anything that keeps his 3rd grade vocabulary off of my television.

"Ya Think?"

6. Burko

Burko Member

To be honest, I don't need some jumped up commentator telling me what I'm watching.

We understand what is going on in front of us, Clyde commentating is just like having another one of the guys (albeit an eccentric one) watching the game with you.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I like him better than Matt Air Corny Bullard. Cmon who donesnt love gems like "love stomach"?!

8. durvasa

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Morey should have asked for Walt instead of Hill in the McGrady trade.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

He was a great player but he's an awful speaker... that's all there is to it.

11. Red&BlackPudman

Amen. Clyde helped bring a Championship to the H so he can do whatever he wants. Isn't that what we all want anyway? A Championship? As far as I'm concerned, any player on those Chamionship teams can talk Rockets basketball. They are the only Championships I've seen besides the Dynamo and Aeros in my liftime and frankly, I don't give a rats A** about minor league hockey and the MLS. So, I personally want to thank Clyde, Dream, Pete Chill, Otis, Vernon, Jet, Zan, Carl, Sam I Am, Big Shot Bob, and Co. for making history for this City that I love so much. Bottom line, no one can hate on any of these players because they brought us what we wanted. Let Clyde sit next to Bill and talk hoops. Would you rather have Bill Walton in there? I sure as hell wouldn't. Go Rockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo4PY_FVK7A

12. durvasa

The weird thing was I always thought he was a very articulate before he started his broadcasting career. Somehow, it didn't translate.

13. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Sorry but we are blessed (or not blessed) with the worst color commentator in the NBA. By far. To me it doesn't matter how good of a player he was. He seems to know absolutely nothing about the game of basketball (it blows my MIND he was the head coach of the Cougars for a few seasons) and does zero research on opposing teams (he compared Andray Blatche to Bob Freaking McAdoo). He says the same things every game ("Welcome to the league rookie har har har har!") and even Bill seems to be fed up with his idiocy.

BRING
    BACK
    CALVIN

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if his broadcast personality is an act.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

I'm with you on that .

16. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'll third that! Bring back VC.

17. justinh

justinh Member

Calvin > Bull > Drexler

Drexler either completely reiterates what Bill says or just states what is completely obvious.

1 person likes this.
  18. durvasa

He is really good at identifying that high pick-and-roll play, though. Gotta give him props for that.

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Great basketball player does not = great commentator. I don't care how great he was as a player, he should be replaced. Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever, does that mean people should've loved him as a baseball player? Did he suck as a baseball player?

20. justinh

justinh Member

LOL!!!