1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drew Tate decommits from A&M

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Baqui99, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What a shame....Pooooor Aggies!

Tate withdraws commitment to A&M
    January 9, 2003

By ROBERT PREMEAUX JR.
    Eagle Staff Writer

Baytown Lee quarterback Drew Tate, who made headlines by orally committing to Texas A&M before his junior season, withdrew his commitment to A&M on Wednesday.

“The offense they’re going to be running is going to fit Reggie [McNeal] more than me,” Tate told The Baytown Sun on Wednesday. “When they had [Kevin] Sumlin in there, they were going to throw it more, and I would have the chance to get in there, show what I could do and compete. With running the option, it’s a no-brainer. Reggie is the man for the option, and I think that offense is going be perfect for him.”

Tate spent part of Wednesday trying to contact A&M head coach Dennis Franchione about withdrawing his commitment.

Tate says he is leaning toward Houston, Iowa or Hawaii.

The Link

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Actually Im quite pissed. After watching the HS All Star game, I realized everything people said about him was true.

I was truly hoping A$M would waste a scholarship on this guy. Oh well.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Smart choice by Tate. He'd be stuck behind Mcneal for a while there. I got the opportunity to see him play in his final game (loss vs Pearland), and he is quite talented. I hope he goes to UH.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I would like to see him go to U of H too, but at the same time, I could see him going to Baylor.
    Baylor is a Big XII school, and they are trying something new with the new coach.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

He'll go to UH or Iowa.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Although I wanted Tate at A&M, his style is more suited for TT, UofH, or Hawaii. I wish him the best. Now this leaves the Aggies with another scholarship to offer at a need position.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Like Xavier Lawson-Kennedy perhaps? (wishing)

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Tate would be a great fit for Hawaii. He could put up some really big #s there, which should give him a better shot at the pros.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If Tate wants to win anything (other than the conference) and play on national TV almost every week he needs to go to Iowa.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yes...yes, my precious...go to baylor....it goes to baylor, my precious!!! :)

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You know, now that I think of it, you do kinda look like Gollum. :D :p

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Will it be Odell James part II? I just hope Baylor doesn't ruin the career of another top prospect.

13. MadMax

what??? you don't think we should try him at defensive back?? :)

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm guessing he is ATM bound.

15. MadMax

wow!! i just re-read this thread and came across this. i'm thinking of a witty comeback....and it's not happening. damn my feeble, Baylor-trained mind!!!

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Why would Drew even consider Hawaii or Houston? He'd never be on TV playing in the CUSA. He should actually take a look at some of the PAC10 schools like Wazzu, USC, UCLA, Arizona, etc. Those schools love to throw the ball.

Iowa is a miserable cold place. Believe me, I've been there. Going from Baytown to there will be a huge culture shock. I still can't figure out why he's not considering Texas Tech.

17. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Tech has Phillip Daughterty coming in he is a highly talented QB coming in. That could be why.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

If I was going back to college, I'd be headed to Hawaii. I can't think of anything better than 4 years in paradise.

19. MadMax

preach it preacher!! i'm with you!! hawaii for four years would be pretty strong!

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

OK, as someone who was BORN in Iowa, and raised in Baytown I think I have a unique persepective.

Having a choice between the 2, I would take IOWA every time.

Baytown is the armpit of the world, terrible smelling air, red necks everywhere, and is slowly sinking into the bay.

Iowa is a very nice place to live.

Of course, if he is smart, he would go to Hawai, I mean come on.....HAWAI !!

DD