1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream Haters: The Best NBA Center in my Students’ Lifetime

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abigwreck, Sep 9, 2008.

1. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

The writer has a dedicated section on why he believes hakeem is < Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, and Duncan. He basis his analysis solely off of win score. Just reading that paragraph makes me not want to read the rest. :mad:

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2008/09/07/the-best-nba-center-in-my-student’s-life/

2. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks,
    Again proof that the Rockets and our greatest player Dream was hated.
    Yes putting Ewing and Robinson as better than Hakeem is nothing more than just an insult, you know everybody knew what happened head-to-head in the biggest stage.

See newbie Rocket fans, how much hate we had? it still lingers years after. So when you see an article about LeBron James free throw shooting and Yao mentioned in a sentence, that's not really disrespect.

3. saleem

saleem Member

Complete BS! The Admiral couldn't even beat Malone and Stockton after Dream's decline. He wouldn't have won a Championship without Duncan. He was a role player when Tim arrived.

4. langal

langal Member

Disagree.

While basketball is a team game, there is a huge emphasis on one-on-one matchups.

While comparing Hakeem to Duncan is not really fair (age/position differences), Hakeem pretty much dominated Robinson and Shaq in the playoffs and finals. Those wins trump any regular season wins.

5. A00man

A00man Member

"This list reveals that Robinson, at his peak, surpassed the performance of any of the other centers we considered. And that includes Olajuwon."

David's peak, meaning the year he got MVP... Yup this genius list certainly tells us that Robinson was better than Hakeem that year... :rolleyes:

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I remeber looking it up once before and while Robinson's regular season PER's were definitley higher than Olajuwons obviously when the playoffs were on and they were matched head to head it was pretty apparent who was the real deal and who wasn't. Such stats are good at separating the good from the bad but when you get to the margins and trying to divide the levels of greatness it's not nearly as useful.

7. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

This is proof that people who never watch basketball use statistics to make them seem knowledgeable.

As you know, people here do that all the time, and people who do that shouldn't get paid to make articles. People who actually watch and experience the NBA are the more knowledgeable.

This reminds of when we got Juwan Howard and pretty much like 80% was on my case cause I kept telling them he sucked and won't average 17 points a game on this team.

where are you guys hiding now? in a cave in Kandahar?

Also a note, David Robinson was the MVP that year and Rodman averaged 17 rebounds a game. And they still couldn't stop Dream.

8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Another thing that I noticed that the writer forgot to put into his equation was team schedules. IMO, schedules have a lot more to do with the win/loss catgories than we tend remember (especially when looking who has a higher win percentage). The Rockets almost every season that i can remember always had the back-to-back games against more +.500 teams than any other team in the NBA. In other words we almost always had the hardest shedule in the league. His formula for figuring out what he figured out might be correct, but the Rockets have almost always recieved the crappiest schedule therefore contributing to negative WP48% for Hakeem Olajuwon.

Hakeem is, in the words of Calvin Murphy, "the Greatest of ALL TIIIIIIME!"

I saw the man, with my own two eyes, disown every center/team in the league. No-one will ever be able to convince me anything different.

~fin~

9. pmac

pmac Member

Music to my ears...or...art to my eyes

Anyway, i've been saying this about basketball for the longest. You can bring up some stats about anyone and make it seem as though they are better/worse than what they really are. Please.

I DON'T WATCH STATS I WATCH THE GAME.

...and Olajuwon won 2 championships w/o Tim Duncan.

Silly posters think i'm worried about a statline, i show more purpose than you're whole post in one line. Victory.

10. baller4life315

I love how this idiot tries to give his own argument merit by acting as if his teaching position gives him some kind of unique authority to make stupid arguments.

Nobody with general basketball knowledge or that actually followed their careers closely would say Ewing or Robinson were better than Dream. It's just not possible.

Not only is this crap an insult to Dream it's also an insult of the two best big men of this generation: Shaq and Duncan.

Try again?

11. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

It doesn't bother me cus I can tell he doesn't have at least 2% of the basketball ball knowledge as an average bball fan.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Agreed. Plus, you have to consider that PER and Win-Score both are just one person's/group's interpretation of the stats. Stats like point per game, total rebounds, fouls, whatever, are hard and fast. They actually happened, and won't change. PER and Win-Score take those stats, apply multipliers, formulas, etc. that, while not random, aren't themselves actually representative of something a player specifically did (i.e. - scored 10 points).

There was an article before the draft about trying to predict the success of college players based on win-scores. It went back and looked at how that prediction did in the 07 draft. I think the top 3 predicted players were Nick Fazekas and a couple of other bums who won't amount to anything.

Not trying to downplay Robinson's career. In Spurs' fans defense, he probably is a bit underrated overall by the general basketball public. But he is not in Hakeem and Shaq's class.

Hakeem, Shaq, Kareem, Russell, Wilt - in no particular order, are your top 5 greatest centers of all time.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

When he tried to prove David Robinson was better than Olajuwon, I stop reading.

14. H-Town Forever

you know im so sick and tired of this crap. let people say and write whatever they want. those of us here who witnessed greatness and domination in the mid 90's know EXACTLY what went down. i will never forget those days for the rest of my life.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

You know if he said "Best Regular Season Center" he would be very accurate. But it was the playoffs where "the Admiral" became "The Little Mermaid".

Whereas just about every key stat for Hakeem is enhanced in the playoffs, the opposite happened with TLM.

16. durvasa

durvasa Member

The boxscore has always favored Robinson, at least in the regular season. Nothing particularly new or controversial about this article.

17. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

You do not read it to believe it, you SEE IT to believe it. This douchebag obviously haven't seen The Dream play. He has yet to indulge the greatness of the legendary Dream.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Dream's 2 Finals MVP vs. Robinson's Zero

defeated Ewing, Shaq (who was averaging 29 ppg and was dominant), cheap shot Jazz with Malone & Co, the Mighty Suns, and even Admiral himself.

Somebody should recommend the 93-95 NBA playoffs to him, and maybe 85-86, while you are at it.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

You guys are missing the point (Durvasa didn't). All these stats are based primarily or entirely on the regular season. If that is what you care about, you can say with a strait face "TLM was the most productive regular season NBA center in the last 25 years".

Now if you happen to include winning championships, the degree one player carried a team far in the playoffs, playoff MVPs, and such, nobody in there right mind thinks TLM was the best. Heck, he isn't even the best center to play on his own team once the 2nd season came around, and TD even at his peak was no Dream either.

20. OddsOn

OddsOn Member

"I don't even know how I can say it with a straight face, but I thought most of the time I defended him pretty well. The man just played as well as I have seen anybody play in a long time."

Signed
    David Robinson

:rolleyes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hW4uXlRGAF0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hW4uXlRGAF0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>