1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DREAM Coach....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sofine81, May 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Im a long time reader and watcher in this great BBS, however Im a first time poster and I would like to start by saying I have great respect for most of the guys on this board.

I read as Im sure most of you did that Yao Ming really "looked up" to THE DREAM. I thought it may be cool if the Rockets could somehow get Dream to come back and be a "big man" coach for the Rockets.

In my humble estimation he was the best center EVER, Im not saying it will happen, could happen, or should happen, all Im saying is it would be a good deal for all the rocket big men, from Yoa to Cato.....tell me what you think,

thank you all for your time

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Welcome to the boards, and it would be great if Dream was interested.

However, I am not sure he is such a good communicator to other players.

Dream was a warrior for sure, not sure of him as a coach.

DaDakota

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Welcome.

DaDakota has it right. Some people don't do windows, Dream doesn't do mentoring.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Excellent post. Dream would probably not make a good coach. Besides, he learned all of his moves from Carroll Dawson and Larry Smith (among others) anyway.

5. edc

edc Contributing Member

It would be nice if Olajuwon had some (paid) affiliation with the franchise, but he has repeatedly expressed DISinterest in any sort of coaching position. Besides, isn't he indebted to Toronto for two more years?

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

That was one of the reasons I didn't want Hakeem to go to Toronto... I wanted him here to tutor EG on his post moves, footwork and basic post fundamentals, but from what I've heard Hakeem isn't really the type of player to spend a lot time with the young players to help them improve their game. (Or at least that the impression I got). But I love Hakeem so if he is willing to become an assistant coach and work with our post players then bring him on.

7. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well Iam indeed honored at some of the guys that replied to my post and I thnak you very much for your opinions.

I do agree with you, with his thick accient it would ne tough for him to communicate with the guys, however it would have been a great deal, but if CD and Mr Mean can teach them the same things then I see no reason to even bring him in.

thank you again guys!

PS I support drafting Ming 100%

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Jeff - Don't forget the hours Moses Malone spent with a young Akeem at Fonde Rec.

9. JR

JR Contributing Member

jeff please tell me you are joking about dream learning all of his moves from cd and larry smith.

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

CD and the Rockets staff taught Olajuwon the finer points of being a center in the NBA. Period.

However, his moves such as the "Dream Shake" are his own, although I'm certain the staff helped modify them to make them effective (and legal) in NBA play.

Think of it like playing the piano. You need to learn technique and how to play before you can improvise.

11. carlit0

carlit0 Member

This is true.

Advantage Rockets

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

It may be a slight exagerration that Hakeem learned all of his moves from CD and Mr. Mean, but it's not far off. Both of those guys played major roles in The Dream's development over the years.

13. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If it were'nt for Dream, Shaq wouldn't be as dominant as he is today. Dream took him aside his first few years in the leagues and spent all summer with him training and working on their moves.

14. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well yall please be gracious but I was looking at old pictures of Dream and him and Yao Ming are built very similar, I dont see why he couldnt develope similar moves to the dream.

I see no reason why Ming couldnt be dominate in an NBA thats rapidly being inundated by slow white no defense playing Europeans, thats my IMO anyway which doesnt amount to much as mirely a fan.

Anyways I believe that Griff and Yao could be a powerhouse for many years to come!

15. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Good thread Sofine 81. I agree that Hakeem would be an excellent big man coach. I also read that he helped Shaq develop. If the Raptors buy out his contract-he could be free to associte with the Rockets. If Yao and Griffin personally asked Olajuwon to teach them-then I think he would consider it quicker than if the Rockets organization asked. I think Dream would see some kinship with Yao - a stranger in a strange land.....

Dream has heart and there is a lot of love for dream from the fans. He loves Houston and has business interests here- You never know....

16. JR

JR Contributing Member

Go watch some footage of Dream in college. He had the same basic moves then that he used for 15 years in the NBA. Besides just giving credit to Hakeem himself -- which is where it belongs -- you might want to thank Guy V. Lewis instead of the overhyped Rockets 'coaches' who have developed how many young talents over the last 10 years??

17. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Any knowledge from "the Dream" that can be passed down imo should be passed down, Even if he doesnt communicate well, he could still show some things.

This guy is a natural leader and a deliagte in his own right.

I forget how many lanuages they said he speaks but I do feel he would make a great big man coach......ROCKETS if your reading this PLEASE consider

18. Bonomaniac

Bonomaniac Member

i think if Hakeem were a good coach...he could have taught Cato or Serge Zwikker some moves

19. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Bonomaniac, Cato is hopeless, he has NO moves, and as for Serge Zwikker, does that guy still play ball anymore at all? We would only ask him to coach NOT do miracles.

:D

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'll go dig through the Chron archives if necessary, but Dream credits his jump hook and his spin moves to Carroll Dawson. He credited Larry Smith and Moses Malone for his box out skills and rebounding.

I remember, in one particular article, he said that he never even heard of a jump hook before meeting Dawson.