1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draymond Green rants that players are not treated well enough

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets4Life13, Feb 16, 2021.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You must work at a crappy company. My company actually cares how I'm treated because it will cost a lot of money and productivity to replace me.

HP3 likes this.
  2. courtsidedreams

He said Harden was CASTRATED. HAHAHA... He meant castigated

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

As long as the player continues to get paid, why wouldn't the team be able to bench him at its discretion? How could that possibly violate the contract?

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Because it could effectively tank his value as a free agent especially in a contract year. What if an owner has a personal beef has a player and sits him at home for his entire contract year just so he can't get won't get a market value.

HP3 likes this.
  5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

As long as the player gets paid, I see nothing wrong with this. By continuing to pay the player, the team is fulfilling its only contractual obligation. Where's the breach?

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You ever heard of good faith in a contract?

7. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

If the contract includes incentive bonuses, benching for anything other than performance could be considered a breach.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Players association is negotiating better deals almost every year.

Yeah, nothing is perfect for sure. But Draymond should give examples of marginal NBA players and not stars who are privileged than the rest.

Drummond is a borderline star.

Treat role players better first! I am all for that.

I got no sympathy for someone frequenting strip clubs before games. Tolerance sure.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Sure, but I don't see how that's relevant for NBA player contracts. It's hard to accuse a team of failing to act in good faith when it's fulfilling its contractual obligations.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Unlikely. A team's objective isn't to help players reach their incentive bonuses which means they aren't obligated to play the players. A bonus is a bonus. Not an obligation.

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I would seriously rather watch the G-League now cause I don’t have to hear all the Divas.... seriously though these players not the league give a **** about the fans. Without us, they wouldn’t even exist. Draymond is unwatchable to me. We are in a pandemic and all they talk about is how unfairly they’re treated and want to be forced out etc. Shame on you princess draymond.

12. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He would help his market value by shutting his donkey mouth and do his job. No management will want a drama queen either. Look at Boogie... whole lot of talent but his mouth and attitude outshined his play. Not a person you wanna build around nor would you want him to infect your team.

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Try getting treated the same way but for minimum wage, Dray. :rolleyes:

14. i3artow i3aller

Draymond is talking about mitigating risk and he has a valid point. Good on him for speaking up for his basketball brethren.

Bearded13, Nook, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

This is absolutely beautiful by Draymond. He's 100000% correct

Bearded13 likes this.
  16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

You must be one of those shut up and dribble people.

Bearded13 and HP3 like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

what the hell are you talking about. Drummond has not said a single word about anything.

HP3 likes this.
  18. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

A player probably agrees to incentive bonuses in a contract with the good-faith understanding that they would be given the opportunity to achieve those incentive levels. If they player is playing lower than expected, it's reasonable for the team to bench the player. But if the player is playing well enough but the team benches the player for any other reason, like avoiding paying the player the bonus, then I think it's fair game to say the team breached the contract.

Bearded13 likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

haha, that actually makes more sense now.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Really quick? It's been moving down this path for 10 years. This is the Lebron banana boat friends effect on the league. Lebron's vision has always been about using the NBA as an empowerment tool. Not saying that's good or bad, it's just recognizing it for what it is. They also have the ability to feel like Hollywood stars because there's only 2-3 relevant players on each team and I would argue that the NBA has the most homogenized culture in pro sports. It's a platform for these guys to feel like superman. As long as they use it for good, I'm OK with it. When they use it for selfish reasons (e.g. they disagree with something they willfully and contractually agreed to do), we're gonna get an explosion of debate. There's a reason collective bargaining exists.

Btw I don't want to hear anything about double standards from moving screen, throat punching, eye scratching Draymond, Bogut or Zaza.

#40 napalm06, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021