1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

drapg, I Don't Know How You Do It

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

This is for drapg and anyone else who runs all the time (Phi Slamma Jamma?):

I got up at 5:20 this morning and jogged 2 miles. It took me 25 minutes which was a 5 minute improvement from Saturday afternoon when it was the first time that I had run that distance in about 9 to 10 months.

I would really like to sustain doing this because God knows I need to include an aerobic workout, but I guess I am having trouble in 2 places:

1) My legs, especially, my calves, are absolutely KILLING me. I work out my calves twice a week but I guess toe raises and calf raises don't shock the hell out of them like jogging 2 miles. I guess this is to be expected and will pass after doing this for a week or two (yes, I do run on roads around where I live).

2) This one is more troubling and is the reason why I gave this up 9 to 10 months ago: how do you maintain this? I mean what is the motivation to keep running? I guess I have been lucky that in lifting weights that I have really got into it, but running has been so much tougher. Did you want to quit or give up running when you first started?

For now, I am going to run every other day, simply because I think it gives my legs more benefit to have a day of rest and also I don't really want to get burned out nor have even sorer legs.

But I do admire drapg and anyone else who does this every day!

2. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Man I am right there with you. Weights are no problem but the aerobic exercising is IMPOSSIBLE to get motivated.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, I've been taking about a month break to try and get over shin splints (be sure not to overdo it too early), but I just started back up this weeked. It's definitely a good idea to rest every other day when starting out. Your muscles need time to strengthen, otherwise they will continue to deteriorate and you'll start wondering why the running isn't getting any easier.

Part of the reason I run is because I uhh...like to eat. If I stop running for a long time, I'll probably start ballooning in a couple months. To me, running isn't as tough as having to eat small portions of disgusting, low-fat food. :) And after gaining 40 POUNDS in college, I've been very conscientious about my weight.

But, keeping my weight down is really only half the reason. I just enjoy being outside on a nice day. The setting helps too. For instance, every weekend I go into Washington and run for over an hour. I can see everything that's going on down in the Mall area. Sometimes I'll run on a nice track that runs along side the Potomac River. I think finding a nice place to run helps a lot...especially for the longer runs. An MP3 player could help too. :)

I ran my first marathon about six months ago, and finishing it was one of the best feelings I've ever had. Challenging myself and setting a goal to strive for is what pushed me to keep going.

Anyways, good luck!

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I ran track and cross country in high school and there's only way to keep it up when you're not part of a team: you have to literally enjoy it.

Running can be relaxing, letting your mind just go free and enjoying the passing scenery. Luckily I have a river running directly behind my house and a jogging path running beside it.

If it's painful, then slow your pace or run for awhile, then stop and walk a bit, then run again until you gradually ease up your stamina.

Good luck and keep at it, it does wonders for your health and self esteem!

5. drapg

drapg Member

You see, I'm the exact OPPOSITE. Several times in my life I have taken up weight training for months at a time, only to quit due to sheer boredom and lack of results (my body shape never improved one iota).

As for you Manny. Well here is my long and boring tale. (I'm about to divulge a lot here, so bear with me).

I was raised in a different environment than the average kid. From the moment of my birth there was one constant in my life, the fact that both of my parents were runners. Not your occaisional weekend warrior runners, but seriuos, devout runners that ran 4-10 miles every morning. They stressed proper diet and exercise above all else (except education).

Unfortunately, they were blessed with two fat children. Sure we were quite active. In fact I would spend hours on end playing sports with my friends until my bed time every day as a child. But I was one mega fat child. By the time I reached Junior High school, my parents forced me to start running so that I would be in better shape. 1 mile after school each day. I dreaded it so much. I would run up and down the sidewalks with the biggest pout on my face (I laugh now that I think about it, since the first mile I do now isn't even a warm-up anymore).

My parents fed us the healthiest of foods, zero-fat, low-fat, low-calorie, etc. Our sugar intake was very limited and I didn't eat fast food until I got to college (I didn't even know what the hell Taco Bell was about until I was 18).

However my sister and I rebelled against the exercise regime on and off for most of our lives. For a few years we would really get into it and lose weight. Than we would quit and balloon back up to our fat-ass mode. This happened for the 8 years of high school and college for both of us. Looking back at pictures from those 8 years, we went from skinny to fat to skinny to fat so many times it was unbelievable.

It wasn't until my last semester in college that the bell my parents instilled in my head finally went off. I was a slob. 6'1" and 220lbs. No muscular definition at all, just pure crisco. So I took up running again and 4 years later I have yet to stop.

I started running 3 miles a day, 2 times a day, 7 days a week. I did it at first to lose weight. As the weight flew off, I started to enjoy it, just as my parents do.

Now I'm up to 12 miles a day and 15-20 on Saturdays. I lost SO much weight that my parents thought I was anorexic for a while, because I now look totally different from when I was in high school and college.

But after all these years of running, I just love it. It's the one part of my day that I enjoy. I love the fresh air, the pumping heart, etc. The best part of my day is after my morning run, when I just feel fantastic. Now, I cant' go a day without running at least 12 miles. I've taken 2 off days in the past 4 years (due to circumstances beyond my control), and both times I felt so disgusting and gross that I woke up early really early the next day and ran about 20 miles.

Now... I LOVE RUNNING. But I think a part of that is due to my childhood. Most children don't have parents who stress exercise to the point my parents did. And I love them for it!

So, just stick with it. Sure it's painful on the joints for the first week or so, but keep at it. If after a few weeks you don't enjoy it, maybe it's not the aerobic exercise for you. Have you tried headphones? I like to listen to AM Sports radio while I run. I find running as a getaway from my hellhole of a life.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Manny -- If you're impressed with drapg, you out to see how I scarf down James Coney Island chili dogs. You'd be truly amazed!

7. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Try alternating walking and running. When you feel your calves start to tighten up, slow down and walk for a couple minutes, then start running again. You should see some improvement over the next few weeks, if you run every other day. If this doesn't work, try different running shoes. Also, if there is somewhere to run other than on asphalt or concrete, that will help.
    Great question. You will find that most serious runners such as dragp and others, including myself, actually enjoy running and use words like *relaxing* to describe it. This does not happen overnight, but only after your legs and lungs get into running shape. You must find a way to run consistently over a long period of time to get there. A running partner or partners always helps, and if you find someone attractive to run with, that's a double bonus. ;)

I am also a big proponent of cross training. When I was in my 20's I ran every day, did the marathon thing several times, etc. Now that I am in my 40's, while I still work out every day, I only run 2 - 3 times a week (6 miles) and occasionally run in a 5K or 10K for fun. I also ride the stationary bike and play racquetball and basketball and chase my kids for cardio. Running takes a tremendous toll on your legs, and cross training will allow you to enjoy it for many years.

Good luck.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I can not emphasize enough how important stretching is, after warming up and before starting the run. Strecthing will help both during and after the run.

Another suggestion is that you vary your runs during the week. Have one be short and fast, another be slow and long, and yet another one which include sprints. Varying the runs will help break some of the monotony. Sprinting will also help you keep your speed for sports like basketball, football, and baseball.

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I used to run, really liked it, but after I blew out my knee 3 days after college graduation my running days were over.

Now I ride my bike. The trail that runs along the bayou from Shepard to downtown is my favorite....6 miles, nice view. Raquetball is even more fun, but its hard to find someone to play against every day. However I do play at the downtown Y and I am up for a game with anyone, any evening but Mondays. Esp if they are better than me.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Damn drapg! I gotta lot of work to do. I only run about 5-8 miles a day, 4 to 5 times a week. And usually one long run (15-20 miles) on the weekend. What's your fastest marathon time?

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

12 miles a day??!!:eek: :eek:

12. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

stretch before and after

13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

That's where I play racquetball. I am going to start playing in the evenings again on the challenge courts. If you haven't played there before, there is *very* good competition in the evenings. I used to be a regular there until I screwed up my foot and took time off. I've been playing recently at lunch and over at Rice, but the competition is much better in the evenings at the downtown Y.

14. moomoo

moomoo Member

I used to run on a treadmill but it got so boring I gave it up. Now I just play pick-up ball and tell myself that I'm getting the same or maybe even a better aerobic workout.

Am I?

15. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Hey Manny,

I'm currently doing a running program found at www.runtex.com/training. It's in Austin.

I feel the same way you do, but I've actually kept up with this because I have a couple of running partners. I think the secret is... run with people you *don't* know that well. That way, you'll feel like a bigger loser if you don't go. This has actually kept the three of us going better than if it were just alone.

And then, sooner or later, you'll start to like it.

16. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

weird. I just read somewhere..(nice supporting link eh?)...that stretching provided no benefits to lifting or running if done prior to the exercise. The piece also noted that strectching after rigorous activity was only beneficial if done for a very long time..like 10 to 20 minutes per muscle group. The article was contractary to virtually everything I have ever read about stretching. I'll try to find where I read it. It was in a magazine but I'll find it and get a link.

17. drapg

drapg Member

I'm with Chance on this one. I have never once stretched before or after a run. I just start off cold and don't even walk around for a cooldown (Instead I run straight to the sink for TONS of water).

I know according to medicine what I'm doing is straight up stupid, but I've never found the need for stretching. Maybe it's because I'm relatively young and I'll pay for it later in life.

I've never suffered an injury (knock on wood) and I don't see the benefits of it.

But I would NEVER recommend not stretching to anyone partaking in ANY aerobic exercise. I'm either a freak or a fool.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Nope. Running's better for you because it's continuous. In basketball you stop for fouls, when someone scores, because the player you're guarding stops for a couple of seconds, the ball goes out of bounds, etc.

I can play good hard basketball for an hour and a half, but I'm out of shape and can't run a mile.

19. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

You may be out there for an hour and a half, but you are not "playing hard" for an hour and a half if you can't run a mile. If you can play ball for that long you would easily be able to run several miles.

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If you keep it up, one day you will feel this breakthrough, and it will be one of the greatest feeling you've ever experienced. Like push yourself really hard for a while, and then cut back one day, and you'll realize that you can run for a couple of hours.