1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragic GONE!!! Goran signs 4-year, $30M deal with Phoenix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rafi, Jul 4, 2012.

1. inowsingle

inowsingle Member

i agree with Clutch after reading his article for lowry's trade. But i really can't understand why rockets let dragic go ?!!! why why why

Goran Dragic is pretty good and hv a better finish ability than lowry.
    Why rockets give up this guy just about the fourth year's player option ? only 8 million a year difference , come on , dragic deserve it especially when other teams pursue him strongly and lowry probably go. Now phoenix get him with a 4 years 30 million contract (4 million bonus for allstar title) and ours is 3 years 24/25 million, what the **** ?!!! forgive me , but i really don't think it's a big difference , rockets should raise their contract to keep dragic . it disappointed lots of chinese fans .

anybody who can tell me , how the fourth year's player option will impact rockets long-term plan ? what i can think of is morey believe Sergio Llull is better than dragic and he will come to houston next year , so a back-up PG don't derserve a 4 year contract ?

2. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I'm sure the dream scenario is trade assets for Dwight Howard, and then convince him to stay by trying to sign Chris Paul when he becomes unrestricted next year much like the Nets tried to do with Deron recruiting Dwight. Signing any non-superstar to a long contract when you aren't close to contending is a risky move, and I think the Rockets are going all in on a star or all in on a complete rebuild thru the draft, in which case having an average or below average PG on a cheap contract helps the rebuild effort. Dragic and Lin could be really good players, but they are still more likely to have Kirk Hinrich like careers (good but not great and potentially overpaid) than be all stars.

3. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Having a 4th year player option hurts team flexibility. There are only 3 outcomes with that 4th year:

1) The player does not play up to the 4th year salary and accept the 4th year option, which gives the team a player that other teams would not be willing to trade for. We lose asset flexibility in our search for a superstar player.

2) The player is worth the 4th year salary or more and declines the 4th year, making him an Unrestricted Free Agent in that 4th year. We lose an asset, which harms the team's ability to manuever for a trade for a superstar player.

3) The player is worth exactly the 4th year salary and accepts the 4th year. The chances of this happening are very slim, but it's the only outcome that would not harm the team's flexibility.

So why is Houston so easily persuaded to let an above MLE type PG go for nothing now and to trade their high value PG for a future lottery pick only to be stuck with very subpar options at the point? There are a few reasons I can think of:

1) They are banking on signing Sergio Llull next year, which would take care of our PG position for years. All they'd need this year is a capable player to fill in that spot. We have Fortson, Boykins, and Livingston that could fill that spot for a season.

2) We just drafted two highly skilled passing/handling forwards (White and Jones) and traded for a skilled SF that played some PG last year (Forbes). Maybe the team's offense has much more handling/playmaking by the forwards this year. In that case, you just need someone capable of handling the ball to get it up the court and can play decent defense against opposing point guards.

3) Veteran free agents can fill this spot for a season with a team option for next season, making them trade assets the year we get Llull to man the position.

4) The Rockets are manuevering to make a big move. To do that, they need to create as many tradeable assets as possible that teams are looking for. One of the ways of creating that assets is through offers to players. Including a team option grants a team, whether yours or your trade partner's, much more flexibility than having a player control the cards that final year.

4. copacetic81

copacetic81 Member

considering its only the 6th, do you think we could still swoop in and offer goran 10m a year for 3 years and steal him back? Like, right before the gavel lands Morey jumps up out of his chair and yells out"10!" We would need to pay somebody to play pg for us, so why not keep him here while we transition?

Copa81

5. copacetic81

copacetic81 Member

Ah, that makes sense. I agree. Sorry Gogi.

6. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Maybe Dragic didnt want to play in HOUSTON

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

1) dragic was not under rox control. he is a UFA. he can go anywhere he wants. if rox wanted to keep him, rox would have to overpay him. he is not 8 mil player. he is about 6 mil at the best.

2) if you think clutch explanation on lowry makes sense, you should also understand why rox didn't overpay dragic and let him go. dragic might be another lowry at the best (suns needs to cross their fingers). his value is pretty much fixed. overpaying him will dramatically limit rox flexibillity in future major move.

3) he is solid player just like lowry but he is not a championship caliber player you have to have him to win titles. a player of this type is not very difficult to find during the course of rebuilding. letting him go not only opens up cap space but also maintain the flexibility if we have a major trade.

8. giddyup

giddyup Member

This. Plus do we know for certain that Dragic got the fourth year player option? All I know for certain is that the Rox didn't let him have it.

Did PHoenix? Or did he choose PHoenix for other reasons?

9. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

alright, man whatever. you guys won't listen.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dragic gave the Rockets a chance to match they said no because of the player option.

DD

11. HorneR

HorneR Member

What am I missing here. Obviously I see why we'd prefer a team option over a player option, but why was this the deal-breaker?

Anyone care to enlighten me?

12. allaroundplayer

Well, I think since Lowry is gone and Dragic likes to play for McHale and also David Aldridge tweeted McHale desperately wanted Dragic to return, and also because NY will match the offer to Lin, if Morey can lay aside his ego, and also say we will resign Lee because NO is going to match the contract for Gordon supposedly which makes PHX a less attractive team, but the key is only if Morey will give up the pursuit of Dwight Howard. It has become an obsession.

I suspect at least 2 of these 4 players: Parsons, Motiejunas, Lamb and White would go to Orlando in a trade for Howard along with Scola, Martin and draft picks. It is too much. I wouldn't include any of those 4 players in a trade for Howard. I think Orlando is waiting for the summer league to see them play before they decide, and the Rockets will also have to take back bad contracts which is why they let 3 guards go.

Maybe the Rockets can do a contract and say to Dragic if you make the All-Star team we will give you $2 million extra per year.

Dwight Howard has cost the Rockets 3 players so far, and they do not even have him. But they could conceivably get 2 of them back.

Trading Parsons, White, Lamb or Motiejunas would be a big mistake for a spoiled player like Howard.

Scola > Howard

1 person likes this.
  13. cheshire

cheshire Member

There are no experienced guard now that knows the Rockets' system with Gogi's and
    K-Low's departures. The Rockets has taken a position of strength to a liability. Morey loves his PF's and SF's.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

McHale's system is:

pick n roll, pick n pop, pick n roll, pick n pop, pick n roll, throw it to the corner for the jumper, back to the pick n roll, pick n pop, pick n roll, pick n pop, weakside jump shot

rinse and repeat

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I might be late but...

Gogi, gogi, gone!

16. MethodM

MethodM Member

WHY DO YOU GUYS NOT REALIZE HOW MUCH OF A BEAST DRAGIC IS!!!!

17. gogigorangone

gogigorangone Member

Gogi gone. Kyle Lowry gone too. Good luck houston with Jeremy Lin..
    Nice work Houstons LOL

18. fback

fback Member

Can someone explain to me why the fourth year is so important?
    A shorter contract may give you flexibility but on the other hand, it can allow a good player to leave one year earlier, too.
    I remember that most here thought Dragic was better than Lin and Rockets gave Lin a similar deal to Dragic's. So I assume they are OK with a little overpaying for 3 years but not for 4 years. And I think you can fairly assume that Dragic's game won't decline (or his game may improve) since he's a young guy.
    So why the fourth year is the deal breaker? It is not like we have a better option at PG. Does Morey somehow know we will have a better one later?

19. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Does everybody seriously believe that PR bullcrap they want you to believe. Do you really think we didn't keep Dragic because of that 4th year player option?? By the way, I hope we stay young so McHale will lose a lot of sleep and hair when we start to lose big and resign early!

20. FuzzyDude

FuzzyDude Rookie

A contract with 'player option' is difficult to trade away, we all know Morey view our players as assets ....