1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dragic GONE!!! Goran signs 4-year, $30M deal with Phoenix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rafi, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Ashes

Ashes Member

I feel as if Dragic was willing to take less to play in PHO.

2. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

You arent the only one

Agents dont like Morey for some reason

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

um...JLin got paid...Im sure Goran got a decent offer...but from the talks from Monday...it was pretty clear from mgmt...that Goran was good as gone...and thats a damn shame...

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Transformers sucked anyway.

5. Possum

Possum Member

All we have to do is draft Alec Brown and it will be like Gogi went away for a year and grew a foot.

LINK

6. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

This feels like the biggest failure of the offseason. Really felt like Dragic could turn out to be a special player. And maybe he still will, only with Phoenix.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

He will be a special player but gotta accept it and move on. I think Dragic is simply a casualty of not being privy to the bigger picture. I have a funny feeling the trade for Dwight is much further along than many of us think. The Lowry trade today only makes sense if we are getting Dwight. I'm sure there were things in the negotiations with Dragic that could not be said to protect the privacy of what Orlando is doing with Morey. I'm sure Morey would have liked to tell him more but couldn't. And I have to wonder if Dragic knew we were trading for Dwight, if that wouldn't have changed his mind considerably about re-signing here.

Not to mention DWill not waiting. If DWill knew we were trading for Dwight, he might not have been so quick to make up his mind about Brooklyn and he might have wanted to come here as well. But alas, the pains of shaping a blockbuster trade to bring in the second best player in the NBA. Everybody can't see it and players can't wait sometimes and risk losing millions of dollars by being left over while other teams settle their team needs with other free agents.

Today, with the trade of Lowry, I feel stronger than ever that we are acquiring Dwight. I just don't quite understand how Morey is going to rebuild our backcourt.

8. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Posted this in the "Just talked to Daryl Morey" thread...lol... thought I'd throw it in here too...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TexAg713
    I keyed in on that as well. I think Morey is disingenuous. It might have played a part, but how is the option itself a dealbreaker? I guess he can't can't come out and claim that Dragic wasn't worth the money, because nearly everyone thinks 7.5-8 was FMV. He'd risk becoming a blurb on ESPN and solidifying his reputation of lowballing players.

Plus, I thought I read somewhere that they gave JLin a player option. Why not Dragic?

The fourth year of the Lin offer is a TEAM option.

But, I hear you. I'm trying to figure out the Dragic thing too.

I went from KNOWING Lowry would be gone pre-draft/during the draft, to thinking (or believing the reports of us asking the moon for him) "OK, Morey must truly value him and his contract and since Dragic was "let go", we're rolling with Lowry".

Started thinking "Maybe Lowry IS valued tremendously by Morey/the org."....

I wanted Lowry GONE after coming out and saying he had to be moved if the coaching situation wasn't addressed (you just don't go there in the media - at least you USED to not go there - seems much more common now days, which is sad).

But, to not re-sign Dragic, over a million or so per year difference and a partial guaranteed fourth year (he wanted a player option and we offered a partial option, compromising somewhat), then to move Lowry the next morning, is one I am struggling to make sense of.

I spent many years in the corporate world and had to learn how to take a step back and think things through and attempt to look at all angles and through other's eyes before responding or "mouthing off" (LOVED the "jumping the gunners" thread someone started last night...lol).

So, while I may not have initially agreed with ALL of Morey's moves, I've understood why he'd make almost every one of them. But, this one... unless he's truly got some info we're all not aware of such as the Magic telling him "if you can add another first round pick and...." or unless he's banking on being able to close the Howard deal and have enough cap room to offer Paul a max deal next summer, I'm not seeing this one. (also taking NY out of the Paul mix, knowing they'd match a backloaded contract for Lin?)

The contract Dragic signed was fair market value. Now, I realize it was a small sample size. I realize he struggled mightily, as AB did with us, before being traded here. He also struggled or at least was inconsistent with us, UNTIL taking over the starter's job. I know there'd be many nights he'd be put in and be taken out pretty quickly.

Still, I'm just not understanding this one - as of right now anyway. Maybe later something happens to make us say "aahh, ok, now I see why he did this..."

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice post. While I remain highly sceptical of Dwight ending up here this off-season, you have remained sure that he's coming here. As I posted somewhere, if he does end up in Houston, I'll be first in line to offer an apology for doubting you. At this point, it would take something huge to offset the chaos and doubt existing in 98% of Rockets fans. What you believe would indeed be huge. Hell, colossal. Time will certainly tell.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Even if he does come along. why does he stay? To play with Ray Felton as his PG?

11. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Morey's banking on him staying for no other reason than the MONEY.

Obviously, he's not afraid to roll the dice and is betting he wouldn't walk away from the extra year and extra dollars we'd be able to offer him. I assume he's always thought "why do these GM's cave in and fear the FA walking away?"

The LeBron and Bosh thing was unique. To go and play with Wade and under Riley.

I'm not so sure Paul would take less to go play with Dwight somewhere. Or Melo actually would have walked and played in NY for less money (if Denver didn't cave and trade him there).

We can only assume this is what Morey is thinking.

12. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

And, I guess Morey is fairly confident he wouldn't surround Dwight with the likes of Hedo, Jameer, Q-Rich, Duhon, etc.

Maybe he's confident he'd be able to surround him with players that would mesh well and win. (I don't know, man... trying to think it through though...lol)

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Dunno. There's got to be more to the plan than what we can see right now. Looking at our roster, we weren't willing to pay more money and give Dragic an option. That tells me Morey and his machines have already calculated that come 3 years from now, the new CBA is going to make it very tough sledding for a lot of teams, probably almost all of them. And a lot of them are going to be stuck in an uncompetitive situation because their cap is totally screwed. He apparently could see the possibility of this happening here.

What does that tell me? Well, considering if Dwight comes here.....and stays....he's gonna have a gargantuan salary 3 years from now with 7.5% increases year over year for 3 years on a birds rights contract. That's a salary of over $23 million for one guy. Combine that with the possibility of the cap shrinking and you have to be very careful how you build out long-term. He must have figured that if he gave Goran a player option at that rate that he would have to scramble to replace him then. And apparently he has a scenario in his mind that he prefers. Perhaps we are going to leave the door open for CP3 to sign here next offseason???

I don't know. But I have to believe that Morey has it sorted out. And I don't think it involved Asik and Lin. I think Morey is passing out that candy to force other teams to have to use their amnesty privilege and move players in trades. I think Morey knows he has hardly any chance to get either guy. But he can afford to take the chance and hamstring other teams.

I was very, very aggravated when I saw that Goran was moving on. I could see and feel it happening. And I really felt if Morey offered him $45 mil over 5 years that Goran would have signed on. But in hindsight, I think there is a lot that Morey is having to hold close to the vest here. He's a chief statistician and he's got all the data at his fingertips. I think he's got a good handle on where the new CBA is taking teams and I think in 3 years we are going to look back and realize his genius. As aggravated as I was yesterday with him for not upping our offer slightly to keep Dragic, I still trust him. And I don't believe for a minute we are going to tank.

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MBFr43vQiSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

reasonable

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

I need some clarification regarding this notion of Morey "low-balling" players. Last time I checked, it's Leslie Alexander's money. In the end, doesn't Les dictate how much money he's willing to allocate for players?

The Knicks are probably going to match what we're offering Lin because they couldn't care less about going over the luxury tax threshold. I can't say that's the same with this organization.

17. nickg

nickg Member

I think it has been made pretty clear now that the 4th year player option and not money was the reason dragic signed with phoenix instead of the rockets. Really dont see how keeping static at the price would keep us from possibly obtaining Dwight as well.

18. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

BUST!!

19. munco

munco Member

I think he will be an all-star.

20. munco

munco Member

I wish you were right but Dwight will be adamant about not being traded to us at this point. With Lowry and Dragic gone we're worse than Orlando's supporting cast. Why would he be okay with being in a worse situation? Even if we are able to land him anyway, I can't imagine him wanting to resign with us when we're a borderline playoff team with him.